List Mgmt. Geelong nominates Sam Simpson as father-son

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone explain the bidding process?

Bidding is integrated into the draft. When another team attempts to draft another teams nominated f/s. That team has the right to match the bid. The price to pay is the 80% of the draft points (or the number of draft points less 197 for picks after pick 19) from picks after the bid occurs with left over points create another pick towards to end of the draft. On matching a bid that team gains the pick that was initially used on the eligible f/s and the team that made the bid gets to draft another player

Example
Melbourne use pick 47 to bid on Simpson. Pick 47 is worth 316 points after taking into consideration the discount to match the bid we need to pay 119 points.

Our next picks are
pick 64 worth 110 points
pick 72 worth 19 points

To match the bid we spend picks 64 and 72, we gain pick 47 which is spent on Simpson

Melbourne gets to pick again with pick 48. Everyone after pick 48 moves back one place in the draft order

We then gain pick 73 with the remaining 10 points. Everyone after pick 73 moves back one place in the draft order

Note:
All bids after pick 56 require no points.

If we receive a bid between pick 43 and 46 we will go into deficit next year in the 3rd round. (assuming [incorrectly] that other bid have an effect on our number of draft points available)

I don't like this system, as it makes me think another club could be a campaigner and nominate for a player, knowing the club nominating may have to give up a higher pick than the guys worth.
But that's a risk, because if the FS team decide not to match the high bid then the other team is stuck paying overs for the player.

I don't like this system, as it makes me think another club could be a campaigner and nominate for a player, knowing the club nominating may have to give up a higher pick than the guys worth.

If a club does that, they run the risk that the nominated club doesn't match and they are then left with a player they've overpaid for who may not really want.

Given the lack of hype around this guy, my guess is that he'll only wind up requiring a late pick.

Can someone explain the bidding process?
We go in with an idea as to where we would like to take him, if someone bids before then we have the option to match that bid or if we fell the price is too high we can pass and he goes to that team. Just like what happened to Dunkley last year.

We go in with an idea as to where we would like to take him, if someone bids before then we have the option to match that bid or if we fell the price is too high we can pass and he goes to that team. Just like what happened to Dunkley last year.
Dunkley actually refused to accept the nomination I believe and just entered the draft freely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cheers Lana.

Does anyone have a sense of where in the draft he is rated?

Pick 45-rookie i havent seen anyone put him in their top 40 phantoms. If he gets no bids we can take him at 91 or whatever our last pick is.

Dunkley actually refused to accept the nomination I believe and just entered the draft freely.

Thats incorrect. He nominated for sydney so they had the choice to match on the night but rumour has it he wanted to stay in vic he agreed with sydney that if a vic club bid on him they would pass but if say a WA or SA club bid then sydney would match as he would rather go there than other states.

But that's a risk, because if the FS team decide not to match the high bid then the other team is stuck paying overs for the player.
I can imagine this sort of thing might happen for a "name" player, e.g., a Daicos

Thats incorrect. He nominated for sydney so they had the choice to match on the night but rumour has it he wanted to stay in vic he agreed with sydney that if a vic club bid on him they would pass but if say a WA or SA club bid then sydney would match as he would rather go there than other states.
Yeah. I thought that's how it went down.

Was it legit? Isn't it a form of draft tampering?

Yeah. I thought that's how it went down.

Was it legit? Isn't it a form of draft tampering?

Its not really tampering no and even if it was it would be unproveable as sydney could just argue they passed as they rated other players higher.

That's interesting info.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back