Autopsy Geelong outworked and outplayed to tune of 34 points by Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My contention is that it’s all merely coincidental. The reason we’ve hit the wall and fallen away is we’ve been worked out.

Teams clog up the corridor and force us to go slow and boring. Then when we get it inside 50 the corridor is again clogged up.

Why I say it’s coincidental is we could make all the changes people want. We could bone guys who’ve failed previously.

Out: Smith, Henderson, Guthrie, Bews, Tuohy
In: Dahlhaus, Constable, Stanley, Parfitt, O’Connor.

Some would see those as good changes right?? I don’t.

We make those changes and nothing alters. Our game plan has been snuffed out.

Totally agree. But it's up to Scotty and the coaching group to re-asses and come up with some alternative measures that will make us dangerous again. That's their job. There is no reason why they can't do this.

According to the AFL app, we had 23 repeat sprints against the Hawks a few weeks ago. Don't know where you got the zero repeat sprints from.
Just checked and you're correct. I remember checking right after the game and it said zero. Maybe GPS data hadn't been updated?

I redid the ladder predictor earlier today - lose all our matches and depending on other results we can drop to 6th

We win one match and we can finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th depending on results, and win 2 we finish 1st

I did have Richmond finishing 6th with just one loss to come - that would be nice
Would rather Richmond straight up. They're the form team and with our record after byes I'd say we're losing anyway. May as well make it them and not have to play them again unless perchance we meet in the gf

Would rather Richmond straight up. They're the form team and with our record after byes I'd say we're losing anyway. May as well make it them and not have to play them again unless perchance we meet in the gf

Agree.

I fear we'd need an overconfident Tigers side (as seen in 2018 prelim) to turn up in order to be a chance though. They would do a number on us @ the MCG.

Geelong Cats star Mark Blicavs shoulders blame on behalf of leaders for loss to Fremantle

Now apparently it's a case of 'the senior players aren't reacting fast enough to opposition game style'... BS. Every excuse has come out now, umpires, goal accuracy, etc.

It's got nothing to do with anything else but they just didn't want it as bad as Freo. Same case in recent times with Port, Dogs, and Hawks. They're getting out worked going both ways and to the ball... these players / coaches will do ANYTHING to not admit it though.

A professional never wants to admit they didn't go hard, try their hardest, etc. As they shouldn't. This is the reality for Geelong though. They're more talented than nearly every other side (all?), so they think they don't need to work as hard.

This is a cop-out. They didn't need to react to how Freo played, they needed to match Freo's intent at the footy and defensively at the man. The rest is BS.

I do agree that the Cats have been hunted with pressure that most other sides don't have to deal with week to week. They're simply not wanting to win games bad enough though. We all know what happens in finals too, high pressure football. Weak, 'nice' sides buckle. There is no way this side is capable of 3 games in a row of high intensity, relentless pressure football to win a flag. I've barely seen 1 this year.

I think you'll find that Blicavs is talking about the players needing to take more responsibility & act accordingly to what's happening during quarters rather than waiting for breaks - qtr time, halftime, 3qtr time, or until goal/goals have been kicked which is the only time the team runners can enter the field of play & relay coaches instructions

With the restrictions to team runners & when they are permitted on the field, it puts more pressure back on the players & especially the leaders to be more aware of the situation in play & proactive, rather than waiting for coaches instructions before reacting

With the restrictions to team runners & when they are permitted on the field, it puts more pressure back on the players & especially the leaders to be more aware of the situation in play & proactive, rather than waiting for coaches instructions before reacting

Yeah that's fair.

I just feel it's not about instruction, I don't think an alternative structure would have made any difference yesterday. The Cats just weren't anywhere near Freo's level of intent.

I don't really feel the leaders should need to tell the side to work harder, show more intent both ways, etc.. which is what I considered to be the main issue. That's a collective problem, which has seeped into the side since the bye. Maybe the 'leaders' don't wish to be hypocritical? This for me is a component of our performances that is seldom addressed. I don't see players being dropped for a lack of effort, but I'd like to... as a statement.

Chris Scott doesn't manage in this way, he coaches to structures then just complains that the side was prepared but didn't execute. Well... it's happened for weeks now, what to do? Being reactive DURING games, complaining that sides are coming after us? That's BS. How about dictating to the opposition? Geelong have coasted big time since the break.

We have to come to grips with us not having the talent of the top 2 or 3 contenders and therefore need every one of the 22 making a tangible contribution. That can be pressuring, halving contests, getting to dangerous positions, running in support et al. Too many of our players are taking the line of least resistance when things aren't falling their way.

When a side shows itself to be a serious contender,as we have, opposition brains trusts put work into them and too many of our group haven't handled the additional attention well. Including the seasoned players.

Our back half has been exposed on the bigger grounds where oppositions can create separation. And our deficiencies in the ruck - which has taken on more importance this year - are well known.

If I have criticism on the coach and his support it's they don't put sufficient time and effort into neutralising the gun opposition players. Those that have the capacity to turn a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have to come to grips with us not having the talent of the top 2 or 3 contenders and therefore need every one of the 22 making a tangible contribution. That can be pressuring, halving contests, getting to dangerous positions, running in support et al. Too many of our players are taking the line of least resistance when things aren't falling their way.

When a side shows itself to be a serious contender,as we have, opposition brains trusts put work into them and too many of our group haven't handled the additional attention well. Including the seasoned players.

Our back half has been exposed on the bigger grounds where oppositions can create separation. And our deficiencies in the ruck - which has taken on more importance this year - are well known.

If I have criticism on the coach and his support it's they don't put sufficient time and effort into neutralising the gun opposition players. Those that have the capacity to turn a game.
I honestly think we have more than enough talent to win the flag, but it's the combination of game style, work rate and desire that's seen us go from 3 games clear on top to soon to be equal top.

I guess we'll find out over the next few weeks if this team wants it bad enough or not.

Now we blame the bounciness of the ground
I was not blaming the ground for our loss, I was suggesting that Freo have a good home ground advantage, as we do with our narrow ground. I pointed out that we "deserve" a home final...that was the essence of my post.

Totally agree. But it's up to Scotty and the coaching group to re-asses and come up with some alternative measures that will make us dangerous again. That's their job. There is no reason why they can't do this.
It is what they’re there for. No doubt.
Can they find a workable plan b with the cattle they have. Remains to be seen.

Gut feel is the ruck is an impediment we can’t avoid. Grundy, Mumford, Naitanui, Martin, Nankervis, O’Brien all possible finals rucks and better than what we have.

I honestly think we have more than enough talent to win the flag, but it's the combination of game style, work rate and desire that's seen us go from 3 games clear on top to soon to be equal top.

I guess we'll find out over the next few weeks if this team wants it bad enough or not.
I'm not suggesting we can't win it. Just that we don't have the talent of a number of other contenders. As we Cats know it's not always the best outfit that takes the choccies - viz 2008.

I'm not suggesting we can't win it. Just that we don't have the talent of a number of other contenders. As we Cats know it's not always the best outfit that takes the choccies - viz 2008.

You've got to have some talent, no doubt, but above all, you have to WANT the ball.

Gut feel is the ruck is an impediment we can’t avoid. Grundy, Mumford, Naitanui, Martin, Nankervis, O’Brien all possible finals rucks and better than what we have.
Many (most) teams have won it with an imperfect setup. As was posted above - analyse oppo strengths and our weaknesses and mitigate IF you have the cattle to do so. And we do on every line.

We should be able to adapt and win this thing in 2019. Can we?

Yeah, the ruck is a massive issue and there doesn't appear to be a solution. At least not this year. We need to address the issue in the trade period but we just have to make do with what we've got in the meantime. I'm confident Scotty can tweak things a little and make us not only more competitive, but more dangerous with our ball movement and forward 50 entries.

Only time will tell how far these tweaks/changes will take us in September. But if he can implement some effective changes, the positive is other teams will not have seen it this year and probably won't have a lot of time to dissect it. Maybe I'm dreaming, but I'm trying to be positive..

Agree.

I fear we'd need an overconfident Tigers side (as seen in 2018 prelim) to turn up in order to be a chance though. They would do a number on us @ the MCG.
If the Hawks could beat us in '08 we can beat Richmond this year. Not after a bye though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back