Geelong players getting suspended for crucial finals - coincidence or culture problem?

Remove this Banner Ad

sounda

Cancelled
Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Hawthorn supporters took last nights Geelong win harder than the Eagles supporters did.

It's embarrassing.

God ... I hope the Tigers win.

Maybe the bald headed flog will retire. Hawkins is as soft as a footballer can be these days - clouting people from behind - and I would love to see that arrogant Scott face the wrath of sooking Geelong supporters next week.

Pure Bliss!

Maybe the bald headed flog will retire. Hawkins is as soft as a footballer can be these days - clouting people from behind - and I would love to see that arrogant Scott face the wrath of sooking Geelong supporters next week.

Pure Bliss!
Grapes a bit sour today?

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
2013 - Paul Chapman belts someone in the SF against Port, gets suspended for the prelim against Hawthorn which they lose by a kick. Probably cost them a flag.
2016 - Steve Johnson (by then at GWS of course) belts someone against the Swans, gets suspended for the prelim against the Dogs which GWS lose by a kick. Probably cost his team a flag, too.
2019 - Tom Hawkins needlessly belts Schofield, almost certain to cop at least a week. Will this end up costing the Cats a flag?

Unless I'm forgetting someone, in the last 10 years or so, the only three star players to miss a cut-throat final (I think Buddy missed a QF at one point) through suspension have been two Geelong players and a guy who spent 14 years at the Cats and developed a hard edge to his game while there.

So, in an era where violent acts are largely a thing of the past, why is it that Geelong players just can't seem to stop whacking blokes at this time of year, with so much on the line? Is the pressure of the occasion getting to them?
Chapman's suspension was a joke. Cost geelong an almost certain flag. Should never have got a week. Johnson never got suspended in 18 finals at geelong and did at gws. That weakens your argument not strengthens it.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Hawkins puts a bloke down more than a kick off the ball and Geelong fans cry 'conspiracy'.

Spare me.
Deserved a week ..move on
He'll be fine it was "in play" ;)
Doubt Hawkins has cost them anything this year but he is quite a dirty footballer.

6 Striking charges since 2016 good luck with an appeal tomahawk

Striking a bloke off the ball 60mtrs away

deserved a week for being an idiot

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong

Pure Bliss!
That's a brilliant post.

gingernuts

binlicker
Apr 25, 2018
the southern end of the minyip swamp
AFL Club
Geelong

Pure Bliss!
west coast sooks?, nah you don't have any in the wild west I agree. But you you do have plenty of soft pricks. Ask Willi

Absolute joke the AFL. Since when is a king hit off the ball only a week.
If you think that's a king hit I'm confident I only need to rock up with a feather in a fight with you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
I expect Geelong wont appeal out of principle. They are good people and the integrity of the game is paramount to the club. Will cop it on the chin.
Doubt it , They are desperate to win a flag with Danger,Selwood,Hawkins,Ablett,Taylor on their last legs
This could be their last chance in a long time

So in your world its fine to hit a bloke from behind when not expecting it ?

whats your definition of a king hit ?
He hardly made contact mate. I know you're a one-eyed Richmond supporter who thinks he needs Geelong players missing to win next week but turn it up on the king hit tripe.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
AFL literally given Hawkins an open possibility to appeal. 1 week? Really. It’s a hit behind play, give that two weeks. But because it’s finals and now Tom can certainly argue it down.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
He hardly made contact mate. I know you're a one-eyed Richmond supporter who thinks he needs Geelong players missing to win next week but turn it up on the king hit tripe.
Has nothing to do with being a Richmond supporter and i personally think we will beat geelong even if he played but being out makes geelong more unpredictable but thats another matter altogether.

you say he hardly made contact , He made enough contact for him to fall and stay down and when he got up he was dazed and Hawkins was concerned about his welfare.

Now you mentioned Turn it up ?? Lets hear your explanation to what a king hit is

Hoops

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2004
Forever in contention
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Vixens
2013 - Paul Chapman belts someone in the SF against Port, gets suspended for the prelim against Hawthorn which they lose by a kick. Probably cost them a flag.
2016 - Steve Johnson (by then at GWS of course) belts someone against the Swans, gets suspended for the prelim against the Dogs which GWS lose by a kick. Probably cost his team a flag, too.
2019 - Tom Hawkins needlessly belts Schofield, almost certain to cop at least a week. Will this end up costing the Cats a flag?

Unless I'm forgetting someone, in the last 10 years or so, the only three star players to miss a cut-throat final (I think Buddy missed a QF at one point) through suspension have been two Geelong players and a guy who spent 14 years at the Cats and developed a hard edge to his game while there.

So, in an era where violent acts are largely a thing of the past, why is it that Geelong players just can't seem to stop whacking blokes at this time of year, with so much on the line? Is the pressure of the occasion getting to them?
be nice guys
Beyond Blue - 1300 22 4636

Lifeline - 13 11 14

More than 3 million Australians suffer from depression and anxiety. We here at Bigfooty would like to strongly urge people in this situation to seek the assistance of friends, family or the dedicated staff at several organisations who are more than willing to listen.

You can call either Beyond Blue on 1300 22 4636 or Lifeline on 13 11 14 at any time.

If you would like more information please visit www.beyondblue.org.au or www.lifeline.org.au.

Theres an apropriate discussion thread on the subject here or If you'd like to know more, below is an interview that 76woodenspooners did with Beyond Blue back in 2013.

Mental Health resources: (Thanks Proper Gander)

Beyond Blue – call 1 300 22 4636

OR use this form to make contact by email at https://online.beyondblue.org.au/WebModules/Email/InitialInformation.aspx

AND for general information about Beyond Blue, depression, anxiety and related issues go to the Beyond Blue website at https://www.beyondblue.org.au/

Lifeline – call 13 11 14

OR use the online chat service at https://www.lifeline.org.au/get-help/online-services/crisis-chat (between the hours of 7PM and 4AM EST)

AND for general information about Lifeline, and tools and resources for managing stress, depression anxiety and related issues go to the Lifeline website at https://www.lifeline.org.au/

Kids Helpline

Phone: 1800 55 1800
Email: counsellor@kidshelpline.com.au
Web chat: https://kidshelpline.com.au/teens/get-help/webchat-counselling/

Other telephone resources to consider are:

Suicide call Back Service – 1 300 659 467 and

Mensline Australia – 1 300 789 978

Further:

Another useful resource to explore is mindhealthconnect – which is an Australian Government supported information and support network which can help guide you to the specific resources, information and assistance for your needs.

Find mindhealthconnect at http://www.mindhealthconnect.org.au/

EMERGENCY / CRISIS CONTACTS by State and Territory

These numbers above are important for anybody who is experiencing a mental health crisis or caring for someone experiencing a mental health crisis. This could include the emergence, or flare-up, of a psychotic episode, or risk of self-harm, or suicidal feelings or loss of control.

The State or Territory crisis line will provide expert support, and help work out with you what services can best help. This could be your own doctor, or if required presenting at a community health service or a hospital emergency department. In some cases, a Crisis Assessment and Treatment Team (CATT Team) may be sent to wherever you or the affected person is located at the time.

YOU CAN ALSO ACCESS EMERGENCY SUPPORT FOR A MENTAL HEALTH EPISODE BY CALLING 000 AT ANY TIME

ALCOHOL and DRUG Addition

There are numerous support services and networks available. The best place to go as a first stop is the Australian Drug Information Network (ADIN) at http://www.adin.com.au/

Amongst other things, ADIN has a large support services directory where you can search for help and support for particular issues by location.

If you would like to talk to someone at once, contact Counselling ONLINE – an Australian Government funded program operated by Turning Point. Amongst other things, Counselling ONLINE offers online one on one counselling as well as forum discussion and assistance. The website can be found at https://www.counsellingonline.org.au/

OR BY PHONE…

If your preference is to speak to someone by phone, you can contact a 24 hour Alcohol and Drug information services in your state:

ACT (02) 6207 9977

NSW 1800 422 599 (regional) or (02) 9361 8000 (metropolitan)

NT 1800 131 350

QLD 1800 177 833 (regional) or (07) 3837 5989 (metropolitan)

SA 1300 131 340

TAS 1800 811 994

VIC 1800 888 236

WA 1800 198 024 (regional) or (08) 9442 5000 (metropolitan)

GAMBLING SUPPORT

There are numerous support services and networks available specific to issues related to gambling. The best starting point online is Gambling Help Online at https://www.gamblinghelponline.org.au/ which provides information, online support and assistance.

To speak to someone about gambling issues, call 1800 858 858

All of the above resources are free and confidential

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
Hawkins will get off, end up with a fine. It’s how the AFL role.
If the AFL want these guys playing finals then how about they compromise and give Hawkins and the club an alternative so at least they get the suspension they deserve.
You either accept the one week penalty and miss the final next week or you get a substantial sentence to start next year plus a huge fine.

Bootstrap

Team Captain
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
If Toby Greene got off even with his dirty record, then Tom should surely get off. Though.. Geelong aren’t the AFL’s baby like GWS are, so I doubt Tom will get off without a stint on the sideline.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
I have a vague recollection that Enright was suspended for an incident in the Kardinia Park QF loss to Fremantle, but he got injured and wouldn't have played anyway.

Very long bow to draw and clutching at straws to a laughable extent, resorting to including Johnson's suspension. Still, regardless of the outcome of the inevitable tribunal appeal, it's disappointing in the extreme that Hawkins has put himself in this position.

Max Caddy

Feb 15, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong have made finals 14 out of the last 16 years and there are three examples. It’s not really a culture thing. All those three players were known for being morons and tiring the line

2 examples in 16 years. One was a GWS player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back