Geelong players getting suspended for crucial finals - coincidence or culture problem?

Maybenextyear

Premiership Player
May 21, 2008
Essendon Rehab Centre
AFL Club
Richmond
The AFL have nailed Geelong to the wall at finals time for years...the Hawkins incident is borderline frivlous when compared to the Toby Greene gauge or NicNat fence throwing, but that's just the way it is. It's all trial by media and Hawkins doesn't stand a chance, the media have hung him already! There was nothing in it, but he will go for sure! Why the hell is Greene playing?

It was a lot worse than Nic Nat or Greens. It was a blatant coward king hit behind play. This is the very act the AFL have tried so hard to stop during the years. It's not trial by media. There isn't any conspiracy against the cats. It was a hit behind play. Enjoy your holiday big fella. You won't make the granny anyway.

Geelong supporters are completely deluded.

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
1991 - you could argue that suspensions cost Geel a flag - or at least a GF spot

In the 1st final Ablett hit Nathan Burke with an elbow to the head - and got suspended for the remaining finals

In the 2nd semi - Ken Hinkley who had a top year ( 3rd in the Brownlow ) he had a total brain fade and hit Tony Hall with a shocking elbow to the head - he got 3 weeks suspension - so that was the end of him

And Brownless who probably had his career best game against StKilda in that 1st final - was also suspended for a week - and missed the 2nd Semi - which Geel lost narrowly to Haw

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
The whole media jizz fest about Danger winning 'his' flag just stinks of entitlement. I get the feeling Danger feels that way, can't blame him too much, I honestly do think that's a lot of the reason he moved to Geelong, but I can't speak for him. But I honestly hope this Geelong group never win a flag. Half of them already have at least one anyway. Danger will still be a great player whether he has a premiership or not, many greats never won the big one with their team, that's football and that's life, nonody owes you anything. If they're good enough fair enough, but they've certainly had many chances.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
I cant see any of these sides getting within 5 goals of Richmond

Yeah Richmond's to lose. What promised to be an intriguing, even finals campaign could become yet another yellow and black wankfest. But there could be a twist in the tale yet...

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
The whole media jizz fest about Danger winning 'his' flag just stinks of entitlement. I get the feeling Danger feels that way, can't blame him too much, I honestly do think that's a lot of the reason he moved to Geelong, but I can't speak for him. But I honestly hope this Geelong group never win a flag. Half of them already have at least one anyway. Danger will still be a great player whether he has a premiership or not, many greats never won the big one with their team, that's football and that's life, nonody owes you anything. If they're good enough fair enough, but they've certainly had many chances.

Five premiership players in the side on Friday. One of whom won his at a different club. So, why do you hope Geelong never wins a flag?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
2013 - Paul Chapman belts someone in the SF against Port, gets suspended for the prelim against Hawthorn which they lose by a kick. Probably cost them a flag.
2016 - Steve Johnson (by then at GWS of course) belts someone against the Swans, gets suspended for the prelim against the Dogs which GWS lose by a kick. Probably cost his team a flag, too.
2019 - Tom Hawkins needlessly belts Schofield, almost certain to cop at least a week. Will this end up costing the Cats a flag?

Unless I'm forgetting someone, in the last 10 years or so, the only three star players to miss a cut-throat final (I think Buddy missed a QF at one point) through suspension have been two Geelong players and a guy who spent 14 years at the Cats and developed a hard edge to his game while there.

So, in an era where violent acts are largely a thing of the past, why is it that Geelong players just can't seem to stop whacking blokes at this time of year, with so much on the line? Is the pressure of the occasion getting to them?

Culture, whats that in the context of your thread?
Culture is real throw way line IMHO, used to try to put a club down in place of substance.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Yeah Richmond's to lose. What promised to be an intriguing, even finals campaign could become yet another yellow and black wankfest. But there could be a twist in the tale yet...

The Tiges have made one only GF in the AFL era, big deal in the old State League days, yet another, another what ..

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
The Tiges have made one only GF in the AFL era, big deal in the old State League days, yet another, another what ..

More just the past two years, but true that. That's why they're just below Pies and Cats as my least preferred winner.

Culture, whats that in the context of your thread?
Culture is real throw way line IMHO, used to try to put a club down in place of substance.
And linking what Steve Johnson did at GWS to Geelong is stretching a long bow

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
And linking what Steve Johnson did at GWS to Geelong is stretching a long bow
A momentary lapse of reason from Brain Power
He should've mentioned the Stevie J transgression which cost Geelong in the finals [edit your OP, Penal]

I'm surprised you weren't forthcoming, Sttew. Did you forget? Did you expunge this from your memory bank?

Round 23, 2012
Geelong 17.10 (112)
Sydney 11.12 (78)

Steve Johnson suspended for 1 match for rough conduct on Dan Hannebery

Elimination Final, 2012
Geelong 11.14 (80)
Fremantle 14.12 (96)

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
A momentary lapse of reason from Brain Power
He should've mentioned the Stevie J transgression which cost Geelong in the finals [edit your OP, Penal]

I'm surprised you weren't forthcoming, Sttew. Did you forget? Did you expunge this from your memory bank?

Round 23, 2012
Geelong 17.10 (112)
Sydney 11.12 (78)

Steve Johnson suspended for 1 match for rough conduct on Dan Hannebery

Elimination Final, 2012
Geelong 11.14 (80)
Fremantle 14.12 (96)

He was replying to culture, maybe you were commenting on what you hoped was posted, you are dreaming !!

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He was replying to culture, maybe you were commenting on what you hoped was posted, you are dreaming !!

The OP posted this:
Unless I'm forgetting someone, in the last 10 years or so, the only three star players to miss a cut-throat final (I think Buddy missed a QF at one point) through suspension have been two Geelong players and a guy who spent 14 years at the Cats and developed a hard edge to his game while there.

I simply pointed out that Stevie J has missed 2 cut-throat finals: one for Geelong in 2012 and one for GWS in 2016 (both losses)
Brain Power should edit his OP and include Johnson's 2012 brain fart and Geelong's subsequent shock loss at home to Freo

So... THREE Geelong players have missed cut throat finals over the past 10 years (and one of them missed another final for GWS after he was traded)

Maybe it is kulcha?? I dunno...

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The OP posted this:

I simply pointed out that Stevie J has missed 2 cut-throat finals: one for Geelong in 2012 and one for GWS in 2016 (both losses)
Brain Power should edit his OP and include Johnson's 2012 brain fart and Geelong's subsequent shock loss at home to Freo

So... THREE Geelong players have missed cut throat finals over the past 10 years (and one of them missed another final for GWS after he was traded)

Maybe it is kulcha?? I dunno...

You quoted Stteww & were addressing who? Culture, try the phase of the moon ...

Back