Geelong post a $3 million loss

Remove this Banner Ad

Reading their annual financial statement they're in good shape. They've decided to put their total debt for refurbishment of the stadium of $1.9m into one financial year because they can afford to with their cash holdings ( one of only a few that could). The important thing is their supporter revenue is up around $100k and their assets in food, Bev and gaming is also up. Their sponsorship is down ($1.2m) I'd say that due to their ground being at half capacity for corporate signage, boxes, etc. can't sell corporate packages at the ground before they're ready. If I owned shares at this business reading their financial statement, I'd be pretty happy. That ground when finished will be a gold mine.

Do any Vic based teams actually play all 11 home games at their actual home ground?
Pies and it gives me the sh!ts every year.

If Geelong put all their eggs in the Kardinia basket they will end up like Dogs and Roos financially. They quickly forgot the troubles they had prior to the success they had in recent years. Geelong is a small town/city and a few badwagon supporters jumping off can make a huge difference.

If Geelong put all their eggs in the Kardinia basket they will end up like Dogs and Roos financially. They quickly forgot the troubles they had prior to the success they had in recent years. Geelong is a small town/city and a few badwagon supporters jumping off can make a huge difference.

Errr Pies usually host a game or two at Etobad every year?

Also, Hawks fan having a pop about bandwagon fans? Please.

Errr Pies usually host a game or two at Etobad every year?

Also, Hawks fan having a pop about bandwagon fans? Please.
Hawks will loose a few fans when we go down the ladder. Not enough though to cause any financial issues.

Pies do play a few game as the Docklands you are right. They just seem to still get a heap at the MCG. I am just very jealous I guess.

Your a Melbourne team. It's two suburbs over. All your fans will still be there.
Our fans don't go to etihad
So no it's a problem for us
I just remembered we player GwS at etihad as well , the crowd was like 8k
Again no main thread from melbourne complaining

Dogs play 10 home games at Etihad, sell one to Cairns. Could be argued they have the biggest home ground advantage in Victoria.

North have 7 at Etihad and 4 in Tassie, same split for Hawthorn except at the G.

The other point is the likes of Collingwood largely get interstate clubs at Etihad, so there is a certain "home" feel to it, as a Melbourne club. We get North and Essendon, Etihad tenants.

How many games a year do the Bulldogs have at Etihad? 14 in 2016.

Are you talking about the venue or the revenue that differentiates a 'home' game ?

How many Melbourne clubs don't play 11 games a year at their home ground, Hawks included? Do the Pies still sell 18 game memberships?
https://membership.collingwoodfc.com.au/packages/view/585/Home-Away
Ah, now that is an excellent question.

In regards to how many games each Victorian club plays had their primary home ground, ignoring who is the designated home side.

Collingwood play 14 games at the MCG
Carlton play 9 games at the MCG (although they are officially a primary tenant of the Etihad where they play 7 games)
Essendon play 9 games at the Etihad
Hawthorn play 10 games at the MCG plus 4 games played at York Park
Melbourne play 12 games at the MCG
North play 13 games at the Etihad plus 2 games played at Bellerive
Richmond play 14 games at the MCG
St kilda play 14 games at the Etihad
Bulldogs play 14 games at the Etihad with 2 or 3 of those low drawing games to be in Ballarat in 2017
Geelong play 8 games at Kardinia Park

Ah, now that is an excellent question.

In regards to how many games each Victorian club plays had their primary home ground, ignoring who is the designated home side.

Collingwood play 14 games at the MCG
Carlton play 9 games at the MCG (although they are officially a primary tenant of the Etihad where they play 7 games)
Essendon play 9 games at the Etihad
Hawthorn play 10 games at the MCG plus 4 games played at York Park
Melbourne play 12 games at the MCG
North play 13 games at the Etihad plus 2 games played at Bellerive
Richmond play 14 games at the MCG
St kilda play 14 games at the Etihad
Bulldogs play 14 games at the Etihad with 2 or 3 of those low drawing games to be in Ballarat in 2017
Geelong play 8 games at Kardinia Park

Just to clarify, Carlton officially have 2 home grounds and have formally moved to a 6-5 split in favour of the MCG. That's what happened in 2015 so we have gone 3-2 in favour of the MCG with away games at the 2 venues.

I believe Essendon have an official 7-4 split in favour of Etihad but they have a 2-4 away split in favour of the G. Down to supporter numbers and blockbusters there I guess.

It is interesting that in trying to shift to the G, the AFL schedule two of our matches there against the Crows and Power. Maybe that helps us with our break even point, I'm not sure. They are certainly not giving us all high drawing matches at the G though.

Seems Geelong are getting Etihad games to compensate for other sides trying to get out. I don't blame the clubs though. Their contracts expire and they are entitled to look for a better deal but the AFL have locked themselves into such a high amount of games there, they refuse to ratify any further attempt to give up Etihad games. They could maybe promise to give more high drawing away teams to Etihad but they won't.

Teams like North, Dogs and Saints are trapped at Etihad even if they want to leave so any ground related equalisation funds shouldn't be waved in their faces. Of course this doesn't mean the G wants new tenants either. Problem of reducing 9 teams into 2 stadiums.

Just to clarify, Carlton officially have 2 home grounds and have formally moved to a 6-5 split in favour of the MCG. That's what happened in 2015 so we have gone 3-2 in favour of the MCG with away games at the 2 venues.

I believe Essendon have an official 7-4 split in favour of Etihad but they have a 2-4 away split in favour of the G. Down to supporter numbers and blockbusters there I guess.

It is interesting that in trying to shift to the G, the AFL schedule two of our matches there against the Crows and Power. Maybe that helps us with our break even point, I'm not sure. They are certainly not giving us all high drawing matches at the G though.

Seems Geelong are getting Etihad games to compensate for other sides trying to get out. I don't blame the clubs though. Their contracts expire and they are entitled to look for a better deal but the AFL have locked themselves into such a high amount of games there, they refuse to ratify any further attempt to give up Etihad games. They could maybe promise to give more high drawing away teams to Etihad but they won't.

Teams like North, Dogs and Saints are trapped at Etihad even if they want to leave so any ground related equalisation funds shouldn't be waved in their faces. Of course this doesn't mean the G wants new tenants either. Problem of reducing 9 teams into 2 stadiums.
Still a bit rough on Geelong having to pay for the fact Etihad tenants don't want to play there. It will be interesting with Ballarat getting Bulldogs games, will Geelong have to cut back to seven games to help balance the Etihad deal? Would be a farce if so.

Still a bit rough on Geelong having to pay for the fact Etihad tenants don't want to play there. It will be interesting with Ballarat getting Bulldogs games, will Geelong have to cut back to seven games to help balance the Etihad deal? Would be a farce if so.

It is. Can't believe the AFL left no wriggle room. As it was they virtually forced Carlton to Docklands. Wanted us out of Princes Park and only offered incentives for Docklands when we were cash strapped. I know we blame Collins and his COI but it was never going to go down differently. Seems when the AFL got the tenants in place they locked in minimum games accordingly with no thought to individual contracts expiring before AFL contracts. I'm not sure what that agreement puts into AFL coffers but it is only right that they give some of it back.

Our fans don't go to etihad
So no it's a problem for us
I just remembered we player GwS at etihad as well , the crowd was like 8k
Again no main thread from melbourne complaining
If your supporters don't go it's because your supporters don't give a stuff and are lightweights. It's two suburbs over. Not a whole city away. For a geelong fan its a whole day outing to go to the football in Melbourne.

How many games a year do the Bulldogs have at Etihad? 14 in 2016.

Are you talking about the venue or the revenue that differentiates a 'home' game ?
A lot of those games are against neutral sides. You play less at your home but all but one is against interstate sides with a much greater advantage for your team then what the dogs get against neutral sides. It all evens up except for geelong which plays 8 home city games and 14 away games in their opponents home city.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this Geelong's way of dodging their equalisation tax ?

It's funny how many clubs have been crying poor ever since the AFL announced they would tax the rich and give to the needy.
Almost as funny as the three club presidents who joined the AFL on their "fact finding mission" to the US on revenue sharing suddenly being the three clubs that got a cap on the amount of funds they give up

Cats fans want 11 home games at KP with plenty of away games at the MCG, to pay less equalisation tax, and to get millions in funding from the AFL & state gov to renovate their stadium that they make massive bank from.

Anything less is unfair.

Yeah, right.
What was the big whinge from the interstate sides about exposure to the MCG come finals time this year again? Why should Geelong be any different?

Also in B4 Crows fans flock

DangerSloane in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1...

Gotta love the BigFooty Self-Fulfilling Prophecy :thumbsu:. Claim obsession from a club's supporters and then tag them in to ensure it happens.

Anyhoo, wouldn't worry about Geelong until they've declared a couple in a row to smooth out any renovations/capital works.

Cats fans want 11 home games at KP with plenty of away games at the MCG, to pay less equalisation tax, and to get millions in funding from the AFL & state gov to renovate their stadium that they make massive bank from.

Anything less is unfair.

Yeah, right.
Away games we can play wherever. DGAF about away games…. thats why they are AWAY games…

9 home games at KP and 2 at MCG is fine.

And one of the KP games each year needs to be against a "big 4"…
In other words, once every 4 years Pies, Blues, Hawks, Bombers play an away game at KP.

Really too much to ask?

As for the equalization tax, happy to contribute to the fund in a proportional sense that is even across the competition. If you think that 500k on 5.2 million profit and 300k on 3.2 million loss is proportional then you can't be helped.

GO Catters

Don't think 11 KP games will ever happen. Needs the MCG base for Melb based fans and I get that. 9 KP and 2 MCG home is a good mix.

Agree with the regional on/off situation - it can easy to lose them and hard to get them back. PFD is a great example of how to get the back. Hope they stay.

GO Catters

Don't think 11 KP games will ever happen. Needs the MCG base for Melb based fans and I get that. 9 KP and 2 MCG home is a good mix.

Agree with the regional on/off situation - it can easy to lose them and hard to get them back. PFD is a great example of how to get the back. Hope they stay.

GO Catters

You want Melb home games then you should get Etihad home games. Why should you be any different to the rest of the AFL?

And? The stadium in 2015 had a capacity of approx. 34k and the average there this year was 24.6k.

Another 10 thousand seats (or however many there is going to be) isn't a magic solution to fixing it.

Sounds a bit like the WA State Govt, gone through boom times, heavily invested in infrastructure, massive debt and relying on a new stadium to gloss over that revenues are down and can't pay the debt off without handouts (extra GST).

Cats would be hoping that their performances don't drop off or they will be seeking handouts from the AFL left right and centre.

Wouldn't have thought Ford Australia's continued level of support could continue to relied upon going forward.

Who's the next major corporate sponsor down there, Joe's Beach Café?

If we are going to play at Etihad not the MCG there is no point playing home games in Melbourne at all.
So don't. Seems to me that everyone who wants Melb home games shares in the Etihad home game problem. Why should you be any different?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back