• No, but they will play in the Grand Final

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • No, they will bow out against Adelaide this weekend

Votes: 56 58.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cats will be in a dog fight all year just to make the 8. Take the best two defenders out of the the backline in Taylor/Enright and they will be too easy to score against. Too reliant on Hawk in attack and then take out Bartel and Caddy from the midfield rotation that was already lacking depth. Tuohy is a handy pickup but is a class below Enright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they will be the big slider this year and miss finals. Don't rate a lot on their list, feel their trade period was odd too. They will need players to step up having lost Enright and Bartel but I just don't see who that will be.

Neutral supporters who called Jimmy Bartel a liability all last year and thought he should have been dropped for the prelim now claiming his retirement will cause us to slide from top 4 to missing the finals.

Classic BigFooty lols.

Lols at people predicting a slide. If I could be bothered I'd trawl through last years "where are geelong at" thread.

But for those of you that can see past your envy and bitterness to actually be remotely analytical -

Midfield will improve exponentially. A full preseason into scott selwood and Sam menegola is huge. Both were VERY good at the end of last year - Having been injured lost
The year and having no preseason. Add in Cockatoo who looks stronger and more confident again. He is a real gem. Motlop is in a contract
Year (and that means he will pull his finger out) and Blicavs is looking better again. A genuine 6ft6 mid who this year will fill that caddy role and drift forward and kick goals. Oh - Darcy Lang is looking fantastic as well!
So a midfield that bats 7 or 8 deep - Dangerfield, selwood, selwood, Duncan, Blicavs, Motlop, cockatoo, menegola and Lang. There's not a midfield in the AFL that is that talented or runs that deep.

A defence that's SO good that you can afford To Take the best CHB Of the last 10 Years and play him forward. Lonergan is still a gun at shutting down the Gorillas. Henderson had a sensational year last year. Thurlow is back. Tuhoy won't know himself playing in a side that wins regularly. He'll be AA. Kolodjashnij is a Super player. Can play tall or small.

forward line is headed by the leagues best contested mark in Hawkins. Aaron Black will prove to be a great 3rd banana behind Hawkins and Taylor - who
When he's played forward has kicked bags of 6's and 5's. Motlop
And cockatoo drifting forward and Lincoln McCarthy are Super dangerous.
And smith and Stanley with a full
Preseason will be the leagues best ruck combination.

If the cats lose a game at all, it will be because they were mentally not on. Although I doubt that will
Happen - Given we have the good Scott brother coaching us.

So a midfield that bats 7 or 8 deep - Dangerfield, selwood, selwood, Duncan, Blicavs, Motlop, cockatoo, menegola and Lang. There's not a midfield in the AFL that is that talented or runs that deep.
Have GWS, Swans and the Bulldogs been relegated to the VFA?

I think the following midfields would beg to differ....

Bontempelli, Liberatore, Wallis, Macrae, Hunter, Dahlhaus, Daniel.

Kennedy, Hannebery, Parker, Jack, McVeigh, Heeney.

Shield, Ward, Kelly, Coniglio, Griffen, Whitfield, Deledio, Scully.

I think the following midfields would beg to differ....

Bontempelli, Liberatore, Wallis, Macrae, Hunter, Dahlhaus, Daniel.

Kennedy, Hannebery, Parker, Jack, McVeigh, Heeney.

Shield, Ward, Kelly, Coniglio, Griffen, Whitfield, Deledio, Scully.

Nope. Danger, selwood x2, blicavs, Guthrie, Duncan, Motlop, cockatoo, menegola and Lang have both those midfields covered. The problem is you blokes lack the ability to see improvement and change. It's why you tip the side that won last year but fail to see new powerhouses emerge. You don't see scott selwood as elite because you look at the 2016 model - a model that had major surgery and no preseason. You don't look at Sam menegola and understand that he has no
Afl experience to speak of, yet came in off of a preseason which also included surgery, no preseason st all - yet in the second half of the season posted elite statistics. (By the way - if you'd lie to earn a few hunj to take your Mrs out for dinner - Put $50 on menegola to be all Australian this year)
You fail to understand that mark Blicavs played ZERO TAC cup or even VFL footy - yet has already Won a B&F and improved as a player with each year. Big blokes supposedly take time yet here's a 200cm elite running midfielder who's only 24. He is frighteningly good. And when his role
This year expands and isn't as defensive as previous years - he'll blow sides away with his size and skills.
All jokes aside - geelong in 2017 will have at LEAST a half a dozen midfielders that are legitimate A grade elite potential AA mids. And the Bulldogs (who by the way haven't beaten the Cats in about 10
Years) won't get near them. Nor will the Swans who are Finished, or the Giants who just don't bat as deep with players of that elite quality.

#4in11

Last edited:
Nope. Danger, selwood x2, blicavs, Guthrie, Duncan, Motlop, cockatoo, menegola and Lang have both those midfields covered. The problem is you blokes lack the ability to see improvement and change. It's why you tip the side that won last year but fail to see new powerhouses emerge. You don't see scott selwood as elite because you look at the 2016 model - a model that had major surgery and no preseason. You don't look at Sam menegola and understand that he has no
Afl experience to speak of, yet came in off of a preseason which also included surgery, no preseason st all - yet in the second half of the season posted elite statistics. (By the way - if you'd lie to earn a few hunj to take your Mrs out for dinner - Put $50 on menegola to be all Australian this year)
You fail to understand that mark Blicavs played ZERO TAC cup or even VFL footy - yet has already Won a B&F and improved as a player with each year. Big blokes supposedly take time yet here's a 200cm elite running midfielder who's only 24. He is frighteningly good. And when his role
This year expands and isn't as defensive as previous years - he'll blow sides away with his size and skills.
All jokes aside - geelong in 2017 will have at LEAST a half a dozen midfielders that are legitimate A grade elite potential AA mids. And the Bulldogs (who by the way haven't beaten the Cats in about 10
Years) won't get near them. Nor will the Swans who are Finished, or the Giants who just don't bat as deep with players of that elite quality.

#4in11
Mmmmm
Well I'm all for people who back their team, but I'm looking forward to seeing if you can match our outside run and spread.

Nope. Danger, selwood x2, blicavs, Guthrie, Duncan, Motlop, Cockatoo, Menegola and Lang have both those midfields covered.
Wow. Excluding dangerwood I doubt any of the other guys quoted would get a game in those sides...perhaps Guthrie on a back flank but not through the guts. And no, this isn't a hawks cats rivalry thing. I wouldn't dream of comparing our midfield to the giants/swans/dogs.
And the fact 'Frighteningly Good' Mark Blicavs won a b&f was an indictment on the rest of the group, no surprise you guys missed the 8 that year. His story is an amazing one but come on, he's no Adam Goodes!

#4in11
I can't believe you guys lost last Friday then with that superstar midfield.

#4in11
Are you serious? Lol.

Geelong's midfield drops away after Selwood (and I mean Joel Selwood). Hardly packed with quality. Plus, teams like GWS and Bulldogs will kill Geelong on the outside. Geelong's strength has been their defence. With Enright gone and Taylor to play forward, it's significantly reduced in quality. Bulldogs couldn't beat Geelong because of their defence.

Motlop is such a lazy player. Can't believe your using him to back up your argument.
Menegola AA?

Talk about severly overrating your list.

You might make the top 8, but don't be shocked if they miss

Normally you'd bank 7 wins at home for the Cats and that helps with the win-loss record. But in 2017 it's a far tougher assignment.

Cats Kardinia Park matches 2017.
Round 9 Bulldogs L
Round 10 Port W
Round 11 Adelaide L
Round 14 Fremantle W (10 day break after trip to West Coast)
Round 20 Sydney L
Round 21 Richmond W
Round 23 GWS L

They'll miss the 8.

4 losses at KP. LOL...

I can't see the Cats being competitive with GWS this year ( hardly Robbie Carusoe there ) and Sydney will probably still have their number. It feels like the Dogs haven't been able to get over Geelong since Teddy Whitten was running around but that could well change in 2017 as they appear to have more scope for improvement than the Hoops. As for the rest, on last years form their is no reason to think the Cats won't be highly competitive. I see them finishing somewhere in the bottom half of the eight with a decent run with injury, especially to Dangerwood.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mmmmm
Well I'm all for people who back their team, but I'm looking forward to seeing if you can match our outside run and spread.
Appreciate the question. Cockatoo, Motlop, parfitt (watch out for
Him he's gonna be a beauty) Lang, Tuhoy and the forgotten man Murdoch all Have plenty of pace. Think we'll be ok there.

Wow. Excluding dangerwood I doubt any of the other guys quoted would get a game in those sides...perhaps Guthrie on a back flank but not through the guts. And no, this isn't a hawks cats rivalry thing. I wouldn't dream of comparing our midfield to the giants/swans/dogs.
And the fact 'Frighteningly Good' Mark Blicavs won a b&f was an indictment on the rest of the group, no surprise you guys missed the 8 that year. His story is an amazing one but come on, he's no Adam Goodes!
you doubt mark Blicavs would get a game at those sides? Or scott selwood - a former vice captain? Hahaha all you've done is shown you're either really inept at being analytical, or that you have many salty cat driven tears. Lol - you can't be taken seriously at all. Fine if you tell us they're not as good (and provide reason) as the other sides miss. But to
Make a ridiculous sweeping statement that a man who won the B&F and finished 6th the last 2
Years at a club that finished top 4 last year - is just actually so ignorant that it relieves you of any credibility you thought you had

I can't believe you guys lost last Friday then with that superstar midfield.
Did u s**t yourself when the Cats smashed 8 goals in the third quarter? When they actually flipped the switch? And came back after an uninterested start? If you didn't, you should have. At that point we all saw what a post Mitchell and Lewis hawthorn really looks like

Are you serious? Lol.

Geelong's midfield drops away after Selwood (and I mean Joel Selwood). Hardly packed with quality. Plus, teams like GWS and Bulldogs will kill Geelong on the outside. Geelong's strength has been their defence. With Enright gone and Taylor to play forward, it's significantly reduced in quality. Bulldogs couldn't beat Geelong because of their defence.

Motlop is such a lazy player. Can't believe your using him to back up your argument.
Menegola AA?

Clearly you don't watch geelong in any sort of detail. And that's fine. Until you start making ridiculous uninformed comments. Happy to have an account bet with you re Motlop. See your comment there shows How uninformed you actually are. Go look at Motlop's GPS data. Even his poor games see him cover more kms than just about anyone bar Blicavs and selwood and danger. He's many things, but lazy isn't one of them. Again, you're just another bitter supporter who let's his prejudice deny him the opportunity to look at the game analytically. And as mentioned happy to have an account bet with you on Motlop. He'll make the AA squad of 40 this year. And when He does, and you lose the bet, you vanish forever from Bigfooty.

4 losses at KP. LOL...
Problem with these posters is they've been so excited TL see the Cats fail - they've frothed over our demise since 2010. Literally. You have to ignore them unless they provide solid reasoning - simply stating " Blicavs is s**t and wouldn't get a game at other sides " isn't a reason. Cos he's clearly not. That's just schoolyard banter. Explain statistically and skill wise why why Blicavs is s**t - and why your opinion is correct over an afl coaching staff that finished top 4.

#4in11
Straight to the pool room with this one.

I can't see the Cats being competitive with GWS this year ( hardly Robbie Carusoe there ) and Sydney will probably still have their number. It feels like the Dogs haven't been able to get over Geelong since Teddy Whitten was running around but that could well change in 2017 as they appear to have more scope for improvement than the Hoops. As for the rest, on last years form their is no reason to think the Cats won't be highly competitive. I see them finishing somewhere in the bottom half of the eight with a decent run with injury, especially to Dangerwood.
Fair enough opinion. I personally disagree - I think the Cats midfield bats deeper than the giants - and the Giants rely massively on Mummy. And for a big bash and crash ruckman - as Darren holly showed us, The end comes quickly. Don't also underestimate how crucial Stevie J was for them last year. It was no coincidence they lost the unloseable home prelim with him out suspended. He's now older again. With old tired ankles and knees. GWS are not the moral most are predicting.
Thank you though for producing some intelligent reasoning for your opinion.

Spot on! Outside dangerwood none of the other midfielders wouldnt get a game in the Giants midfield and probably wouldn't make the Giants 22.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Are you serious? Lol.

Menegola AA?

My view is premised on losing Bartel and Enright .....both champions still producing, and having an aging defense

Think views are colored by the "Dangerfield" factor .....what would people's views on Geelongs prospects be if either Danger or Selwood get injured ?

Cockatoo will be a very good player .....but a 2nd year players output will be sporadic

Henderson has a history of injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back