Geelong should never have to play home games at opposition stadiums again

Remove this Banner Ad

Bless Dimma! Non-Geelong people who hate the Tigers are now pretending to be outraged that we had to play our home final at the G. It wasn't long ago that they were calling Chris Scott a flog for speaking out about this issue; now they are agreeing with him purely because they can't stand Dimma and Gale having a meltdown about Marvel.

It’s important to point out that teams get good at playing their home grounds, and while this gives us an advantage during the regular season and possibly if we play finals at gmhba - it gives us a significant disadvantage in a Grand Final, which will only be played at the MCG. I for one want as many games as possible on the MCG so that should we play off in a GF, we’re absolutely ready.

Last edited:
Yes so when their crap enough that we would win easily at the mcg then they come down to geelong. When they are playing well and tough to beat we have to suffer home disadvantage at our home games. Thats not how it should work.
It is also the inverse. Be a crap team and pencil in a loss at GMHBA to keep you down the bottom end of the ladder.

The thing is - Geelong have been good at home and away wherever they play. It’s not a significant advantage to play us at the MCG, it’s still going to be a very tough game.

It’s important to point out that teams get good at playing their home grounds, and while this gives us an advantage during the regular season and possibly if we play finals at gmhba - it gives us a significant disadvantage in a Grand Final, which will only be played at the MCG. I for one want as many games as possible on the MCG so that should we play off in a GF, we’re absolutely ready.
Good teams play well anywhere.

Also,

Teams like Collingwood and the Tigers will always have an advantage no matter how many home games we sacrifice, if what you say is true.

While I like the romance of the idea of playing all home games in Geelong, in practise it would detrimental to the club. Reality is that a substantial support base for the club see attending the footy in Melbourne as convenient and attending the footy in Geelong as inconvenient. That is why we have Vic 5 and Melbourne membership categories - to cater for that demographic. Take away the Melbourne matches and a fair chunk of those supporters will stop being members or transition to a cheaper membership. And so if we are going to play a couple of home matches a year in Melbourne, we want to maximise the attendance, which means playing against the likes of Richmond, Hawthorn, Collingwood and Essendon at the G.
So, hopefully I see a game or two at Robbo oval here in Wagga some time soon?

Well then play our forced MCG home games at 2.10 on a Saturday afternoon then, since that's when the GF is played. Thursday & Friday nights and late Sunday afternoon home games at the G are a significant disadvantage to Geelong, making it harder to qualify top four in the first place.

$1m guaranteed (more with Stage 5) from a home game at KP is very enticing. Compared to the $0 you earn from a 30k crowd at Marvel, or 45k crowd at the G, the town almost sponsors the club just by buying a membership.
On top of that I recall reading that after putting the lights in at KP, the economic impact to city of Geelong benefitted an extra $2m per night game (restaurants, pubs, taxis, accommodation etc).

Even more reason that we shouldn't move games to Melbourne. And I'm from Melbourne. 5 mins from Marvel but would prefer to watch a Geelong home game in the Social Club at KP 100 times out of 100 over the other two venues.

On top of that I recall reading that after putting the lights in at KP, the economic impact to city of Geelong benefitted an extra $2m per night game (restaurants, pubs, taxis, accommodation etc).

Even more reason that we shouldn't move games to Melbourne. And I'm from Melbourne. 5 mins from Marvel but would prefer to watch a Geelong home game in the Social Club at KP 100 times out of 100 over the other two venues.
MCG is a great venue…..for away games and the GF. Marvel not so much.
Absolutely no excuses for not having 11 games in geelong anymore, especially once the last stage is done.

Well then play our forced MCG home games at 2.10 on a Saturday afternoon then, since that's when the GF is played. Thursday & Friday nights and late Sunday afternoon home games at the G are a significant disadvantage to Geelong, making it harder to qualify top four in the first place.
Do you think the AFL have worked this out as well?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This. Games at KP are good. It's our home ground and good for Geelong people to have plenty of games there. We're also good at playing there so it helps our H&A win tally. It's not where we'll be playing finals, however, so we need to know how to play ell at the MCG as well. Getting enough experience on the MCG is therefore very important and think it's still worth sacrificing some KP home games to do so.

This. Games at KP are good. It's our home ground and good for Geelong people to have plenty of games there. We're also good at playing there so it helps our H&A win tally. It's not where we'll be playing finals, however, so we need to know how to play ell at the MCG as well. Getting enough experience on the MCG is therefore very important and think it's still worth sacrificing some KP home games to do so.
We get enough games there during the year. It’s not like we play there once or twice a season.

Well with our previous President doing work for the AFL in Tasmania it is not hard to see why we didn't demand, or at least ruffle feathers, over more H&A games at Geelong and for finals. Don't bite the hand that feeds.

If playing in front of the largest crowd possible is the reason Geelong have to host Richmond at the MCG, why wasn't Melbourne v Brisbane moved to the Gabba?

The AFL is a joke of an organisation. We need to protest R19.

If playing in front of the largest crowd possible is the reason Geelong have to host Richmond at the MCG, why wasn't Melbourne v Brisbane moved to the Gabba?

The AFL is a joke of an organisation. We need to protest R19.

Guessing it's too do with border restrictions and Melbourne probably not being permitted into Qld, while NSW has been more welcoming of teams from Vic

Remove this Banner Ad

Back