Jemaine

All Australian
Mar 17, 2009
Inner City
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Toothbrush Jars & Camera Phones
Supposedly Richmond has over 100,000 paid up members.

If that's the case, why did only 54,857 people turn up to the Grand Final replay in perfect conditions last Friday night?

That's 30,000 under the COVID restricted capacity.

The joke of an excuse that we're constantly fed by the AFL is that by moving games to the MCG then more people can attend the games in person, but if Richmond fans won't even turn up to their own home game then why should we care if they miss out on a seat at KP?

Pull the other one. If the AFL cared about people's ability to go to games in person they wouldn't have Thursday and Sunday night football, which are made entirely for TV audiences. And that's fine, I love watching Thursday and Sunday night games but please don't tell me you care about one thing while clearly doing the other.

Further to that, who the hell cares that opposition fans can't get a seat at an away game? I'm not guaranteed to a seat at Optus to see WCE vs Geelong nor should I be, why then are Richmond, Collingwood, Hawthorn (15k crowd at the 'G yesterday, LOL) treated like a different class when it comes to playing in Geelong? Easter Monday would have been jumping at GMHBA this year.

No other sport in the world does this. Could you imagine Liverpool having to play their home game against Man United at Old Trafford due to OT having 23,000 more seats than Anfield? There would be riots in the streets.

Which is similar to what we need. Certainly not a riot, but a legitimate protest against the AFL to let them know this is not OK and we won't stand for it. Make the powers that be take notice like the recent European Super League protests which got immediate results.

I would love nothing more than for 36,000 Cats fans to boycott the MCG and turn up to Kardinia Park for our Round 19 clash against Richmond to watch it on the big screen. Yes the boys would miss our support at the G but let's be honest, 50%+ of us won't even head to Jolimont anyway. It will be a Friday night or a Sunday arvo, making it a difficult prospect for the majority of you who live in Geelong.

It's the only way to make a statement and be noticed, and if the Club are serious about hosting 11 games at home then they need to be leading the way on it despite the fines they would need to pay. Make it a gold coin donation to get in.

We'll never change anything by being polite little sheep and accepting what the AFL want us to do for their own narrative and the big clubs' benefit. We've paid an absolute truckload of money to build this magnificent boutique stadium that we're forced to play away from against our will.

We need to stop clubs like Richmond and Collingwood getting every possible advantage.

Supposedly Richmond has over 100,000 paid up members.

If that's the case, why did only 54,857 people turn up to the Grand Final replay in perfect conditions last Friday night?

That's 30,000 under the COVID restricted capacity.

The joke of an excuse that we're constantly fed by the AFL is that by moving games to the MCG then more people can attend the games in person, but if Richmond fans won't even turn up to their own home game then why should we care if they miss out on a seat at KP?

Pull the other one. If the AFL cared about people's ability to go to games in person they wouldn't have Thursday and Sunday night football, which are made entirely for TV audiences. And that's fine, I love watching Thursday and Sunday night games but please don't tell me you care about one thing while clearly doing the other.

Further to that, who the hell cares that opposition fans can't get a seat at an away game? I'm not guaranteed to a seat at Optus to see WCE vs Geelong nor should I be, why then are Richmond, Collingwood, Hawthorn (15k crowd at the 'G yesterday, LOL) treated like a different class when it comes to playing in Geelong? Easter Monday would have been jumping at GMHBA this year.

No other sport in the world does this. Could you imagine Liverpool having to play their home game against Man United at Old Trafford due to OT having 23,000 more seats than Anfield? There would be riots in the streets.

Which is similar to what we need. Certainly not a riot, but a legitimate protest against the AFL to let them know this is not OK and we won't stand for it. Make the powers that be take notice like the recent European Super League protests which got immediate results.

I would love nothing more than for 36,000 Cats fans to boycott the MCG and turn up to Kardinia Park for our Round 19 clash against Richmond to watch it on the big screen. Yes the boys would miss our support at the G but let's be honest, 50%+ of us won't even head to Jolimont anyway. It will be a Friday night or a Sunday arvo, making it a difficult prospect for the majority of you who live in Geelong.

It's the only way to make a statement and be noticed, and if the Club are serious about hosting 11 games at home then they need to be leading the way on it despite the fines they would need to pay. Make it a gold coin donation to get in.

We'll never change anything by being polite little sheep and accepting what the AFL want us to do for their own narrative and the big clubs' benefit. We've paid an absolute truckload of money to build this magnificent boutique stadium that we're forced to play away from against our will.

We need to stop clubs like Richmond and Collingwood getting every possible advantage.
200.gif

Seriously, at least weekday games can be there since their for TV mostly. Cats fans, families especially, should be given more respect and opportunity to watch.

Many people are still not comfortable being in large crowds; the pandemic is not over. Further to this, many people (myself included) prefer to be flexible with football attendance. I'm MCC member, having to book a seat on the Monday is not very convenient (and vey unusual when you are used to simply turning up and choosing your seat) , plans change, many people like to decide on the day or the day before if they will go to the football.

I agree during the home and away season that we should be given the option of all home games at our home ground.

It's not the worst situation to be in though. We get to play a little more where the finals and GF are played and we get a nice allotment of 9 at KP (which should be 11).

With regards to finals - from a competitive advantage point of view I'd like them to be at KP, but I also like the MCG in finals with a big crowd personally.

I agree during the home and away season that we should be given the option of all home games at our home ground.

It's not the worst situation to be in though. We get to play a little more where the finals and GF are played and we get a nice allotment of 9 at KP (which should be 11).

With regards to finals - from a competitive advantage point of view I'd like them to be at KP, but I also like the MCG in finals with a big crowd personally.
We haven't been able to have a big night final at KP, I'd imagine it would be pretty electric there as well. Just look at the Giants v Dogs Prelim in 2016 (and if they can host finals there with that capacity then there's no reason KP can't).

But if they are unwilling to budge, then make the finals games Saturday afternoon or Saturday night at the MCG. Not Thursday or Friday night where it's a distinct disadvantage for our 'home' crowd's attendance.

Many people are still not comfortable being in large crowds; the pandemic is not over. Further to this, many people (myself included) prefer to be flexible with football attendance. I'm MCC member, having to book a seat on the Monday is not very convenient (and vey unusual when you are used to simply turning up and choosing your seat) , plans change, many people like to decide on the day or the day before if they will go to the football.

I think Mel Brooks would say .."It's good to be the King".

I do agree on crowds and covid. Not to mention some members who are used to certain seats , and not used to digital entry. .. and public transport. Lets wait and see how many turn up to our next home game at KP..we have a lkot of members and rarely get 30,000 at KP

I still feel the best attendance for Geelong based Geelong members for a Melb game would be a traditional timeline. Getting up Melb on a fri night is always "work"

I think Mel Brooks would say .."It's good to be the King".

I do agree on crowds and covid. Not to mention some members who are used to certain seats , and not used to digital entry. .. and public transport. Lets wait and see how many turn up to our next home game at KP..we have a lkot of members and rarely get 30,000 at KP

I still feel the best attendance for Geelong based Geelong members for a Melb game would be a traditional timeline. Getting up Melb on a fri night is always "work"

i should say i am also a GFC (premiership) member, which is essentially a yearly donation given i dont get the chance to get to many (if any) Geetroit games, and can access the MCG (and now) Marvel via MCC membership.

My view is that every team should be able to choose the AFL venue of their choice for all H&A games and all finals excluding the GF.

If Hawthorn choose to play their home games v us in Tasmania instead of the 'G, good on them.

If we want to play our home games v Collingwood or Richmond at KP instead of the 'G, it should be our right.

Totally agree with your comparisons to European soccer in particular, teams like Man U and Chelsea play at small stadiums against smaller clubs and people don't complain about ticketing, they just accept that it's the way it is.

We haven't been able to have a big night final at KP, I'd imagine it would be pretty electric there as well. Just look at the Giants v Dogs Prelim in 2016 (and if they can host finals there with that capacity then there's no reason KP can't).

But if they are unwilling to budge, then make the finals games Saturday afternoon or Saturday night at the MCG. Not Thursday or Friday night where it's a distinct disadvantage for our 'home' crowd's attendance.
I'd like all home finals against interstate teams to be at KP.

It can be clear and defined as to where the game will be played and the crowd loss is minimal.

I work for a corporate sponsor of the AFL, and in 2019 they started sending out communications for cut price tickets to the WCE semi at the G. Incredibly poor in my opinion - particularly when you consider that 5k~ would just be neutrals turning up on the night.

They ended up with 50 something thousand on the night with cut price ticketing, neutrals, and a half empty MCG as a spectacle for a game against arguably the biggest interstate side in the AFL.

In my opinion it's an easy sell to have those at Geelong than the MCG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now now, Richmond should never play in Geelong due to what Caroline Wilson calls 'supporters rights'. Apparently, watching games live in Melbourne is the right of large supporter bases like Richmond. Unfortunately, these 'rights' don't extend to regional Geelong fans who are then required to travel to Melbourne to watch their team play a 'home' game on the opposition's home ground. You know it makes sense.

I mean, you’re not wrong Jemaine but it’s not going to change any time soon.

Funnily enough, the one thing that is getting us closer is a move toward more people watching on TV rather than attending.

I mean, you’re not wrong Jemaine but it’s not going to change any time soon.

Funnily enough, the one thing that is getting us closer is a move toward more people watching on TV rather than attending.
Why can't it change any time soon though? Why do we always accept this?

Why can't it change any time soon though? Why do we always accept this?
I don’t accept it. I hope the club keeps pushing. I just don’t expect it to make any difference.

I don’t accept it. I hope the club keeps pushing. I just don’t expect it to make any difference.
You might be surprised. The government isn't going to keep building stands for 9 games a year.
They'll put pressure on the AFL. And they'll win since they guaranteed their loan.

Why are we playing a home game against St.kilda this week at their home ground? I’m always a bit split with the argument about having all home game in geelong. As a member and fan I want the best for the club. But I do live in Melbourne and i do love going to the footy in Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back