Autopsy Geelong smashed by Demons in PF and its gonna be a long summer

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not all about $.
What do the majority of coaches do after leaving footy?
It's not a long term career.

Only those who have already got the money and secured everything around them will say that.

Most who leave footy end up starting their own businesses or go into real estate. A lot of options at their disposal from 'friends in high places'.

Only those who have already got the money and secured everything around them will say that.

Most who leave footy end up starting their own businesses or go into real estate. A lot of options at their disposal from 'friends in high places'.
Bomber?
Laidley?
These guys are scrutinised so maliciously and unfairly, and you think that's fair because they are really well remunerated?
It affects their families, their marriages, their health, fitness.
It is not a great lifestyle.
Nobody puts a gun to their heads and forces them to coach, but the grind is unreal.

Half a million bucks a year.
Poor coaches.
Imagine losing your future nest egg due to the covid pandemic and having to work well into your 70's just to make it up.

These sports stars, celebrities and media personalities, they have no clue.

Chris could walk away from the game right now and be remembered as a successful player/coach. If the pressures are that great, go work a quiet day job somewhere out there 5-6 days a week on a pittance of the pay and see how you feel after a decade of that crap.

Totally agree with you mate - the money they get is deadset ridiculous - typical of Scott - not a very good job - he ought to look at his internet bank acct - and see that beautiful big credit going in from the GFC - boy has he got a hide( and thats why i never listen to his press conferences - he talks shiit ) - everything is relative to your pay packet

I can remember - i think it was 1976 Rod Olson ( ex Haw and Sandy Bay ) got appointed as coach of Geel - and i can remember it clearly - there were only 3 applicants for the job Bill Goggin , Gary Hamer ( who i think was a district league coach ) and Rod Olson - and the reason being they got feuck all money for doing it

Bomber?
Laidley?
These guys are scrutinised so maliciously and unfairly, and you think that's fair because they are really well remunerated?
It affects their families, their marriages, their health, fitness.
It is not a great lifestyle.
Nobody puts a gun to their heads and forces them to coach, but the grind is unreal.

Fair enough.
I'm not going there as they are obviously addicted to narcotics and sometimes people cannot be helped if they have an addiction which can be a symptom of depression and other underlying mental issues.

As you said though, no one has a gun to their head. They can walk away at any point.
There are people in the general population contemplating suicide over their financial well being. Money means a lot in today's day and age. The trajectory of average job pay does not equate with the costs of rising bills, groceries and Australian lifestyle. We all face tough times ahead. More so our bloody children and nephews.

Fair enough.
I'm not going there as they are obviously addicted to narcotics and sometimes people cannot be helped if they have an addiction which can be a symptom of depression and other underlying mental issues.

As you said though, no one has a gun to their head. They can walk away at any point.
And they do

Totally agree with you mate - the money they get is deadset ridiculous - typical of Scott - not a very good job - he ought to look at his internet bank acct - and see that beautiful big credit going in from the GFC - boy has he got a hide( and thats why i never listen to his press conferences - he talks shiit ) - everything is relative to your pay packet

I can remember - i think it was 1976 Rod Olson ( ex Haw and Sandy Bay ) got appointed as coach of Geel - and i can remember it clearly - there were only 3 applicants for the job Bill Goggin , Gary Hamer ( who i think was a district league coach ) and Rod Olson - and the reason being they got feuck all money for doing it

I like looking back too, but it is a bizarre existence now.
Social media included can make their lives hellish.

If we go down, really down, you do realise we start to get choice draft picks.
We will not be down forever- 7-10 years. When those kids become 23 yo players, and emerge together, it is pretty good.
In hindsight, what Dogs have done is brilliant.
10 th in 2017- drafted Aaron Naughton at pick 9, GFC Fogarty at 22.
13 th in 2018- drafted Bailey Smith at pick 7, GFC Clark at 15
7 th in 2019- drafted Cody Weightman 15, GFC Stephens at 16
7 th in 2020- drafted Jamarra Ugle- Hagan at pick 1, GFC Holmes at 20
A flag out of nowhere, lose some dead wood, go quickly down the ladder, get some awesome draft picks, and contend again in 5 years.

We’ll be down for longer than them - they had a post flag fade but still maintained a core of young, talented players. We on the other hand, have only a few.

We’ll be down for longer than them - they had a post flag fade but still maintained a core of young, talented players. We on the other hand, have only a few.
The core of their club is still that 2016 side. Bont, JJ, Hunter, Macrae, Libba, Dunkley...

Reminds me of Hawthorn 2008. They jagged one ahead of time on a day when everything went their way, and now it is actually their time.

Isaac Smith Most Embarrassing 45 mins of football I've played in, Could have been the best for him if he went to Melbourne

Shoulda/coulda/woulda

Geelong coulda played its best 45 minutes of the year against Melbourne too. They didn't, but they could have.

The core of their club is still that 2016 side. Bont, JJ, Hunter, Macrae, Libba, Dunkley...

Reminds me of Hawthorn 2008. They jagged one ahead of time on a day when everything went their way, and now it is actually their time.

Naughton's also been forced to develop into a star with Bruce going down for the season. It's not something many players are capable of.
You can only imagine what type of player he will become in two more years time.

Ugle-Hagan and Naughton are two of the most dynamic key forward prospects I've ever seen in the same team. I always felt Rioli and Franklin had all the physical traits but Rioli at 5ft'8 simply could not be that go-to man.
Naughton is 195cm, Ugle-Hagan 197cm and both jump and run just as good as any mid sized phenom like an Isaac Heeney.

Naughton's also been forced to develop into a star with Bruce going down for the season. It's not something many players are capable of.
You can only imagine what type of player he will become in two more years time.

Ugle-Hagan and Naughton are two of the most dynamic key forward prospects I've ever seen in the same team. I always felt Rioli and Franklin had all the physical traits but Rioli at 5ft'8 simply could not be that go-to man.
Naughton is 195cm, Ugle-Hagan 197cm and both jump and run just as good as any mid sized phenom like an Isaac Heeney.
I worry about Naughton - I reckon he's one huge pack mark away from a career limiting injury IMO

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I worry about Naughton - I reckon he's one huge pack mark away from a career limiting injury IMO

Yeh I have never thought of that when I watch him jump. He looks like a pure leaper and gets so much hang time.
I can't recall seeing him landing awkwardly yet. He does not land on his feet. He often hits the ground (Carey-esque) and the springs back upto to his feet.

Yeh I have never thought of that when I watch him jump. He looks like a pure leaper and gets so much hang time.
I can't recall seeing him landing awkwardly yet. He does not land on his feet. He often hits the ground (Carey-esque) and the springs back upto to his feet.

Reminds me of Peter Knights Michael Roach and Phil Baker - just launch into the pack and hang there , spectacular to watch :thumbsu:

Reminds me of Peter Knights Michael Roach and Phil Baker - just launch into the pack and hang there , spectacular to watch :thumbsu:

I have a lot of highlights of Hudson. Remarkable exponent of the speccie. He was one of those very rare people who could jump and maneuver in any direction while airborne. Was also blessed with a 40 inch vertical which always helps.

Shoulda/coulda/woulda

Geelong coulda played its best 45 minutes of the year against Melbourne too. They didn't, but they could have.

The game looks a bit like something I had read about somewhere - the 1983 finals. An ageing North finished top, didn’t get near Hawthorn in the semi, got its arse handed to it by Essendon in the Prelim and wasn’t relevant again for a decade, while Hawthorn and Essendon were powerhouses for the next few years.

The game looks a bit like something I had read about somewhere - the 1983 finals. An ageing North finished top, didn’t get near Hawthorn in the semi, got its arse handed to it by Essendon in the Prelim and wasn’t relevant again for a decade, while Hawthorn and Essendon were powerhouses for the next few years.

We'll be relevant in terms of ladder position next year. Will we challenge? There's plenty of things that don't allow an accurate answer despite anyones opinions.

We'll play finals next year but who knows how much of a threat we'll be.

The thing is though, the narrative of "going all in for a flag" is actually an external one. The club's narrative is quite different. Correct me if I'm wrong but they hardly ever talk about winning a flag with the current group. They talk about staying in contention. That we have a choice between dropping down the ladder or staying somewhere near the top. That playing young kids will necessarily mean a fall. There's always a chance you can Bradbury a flag when realistically you're the 4th or 5th best team. The club's narrative is a "treading water" one. Should we continue to try to buck the system (sell ourselves as a destination club), or play the system (fall down the ladder in order to have access to young talent). To my mind, the "choices" we are being presented with are rather unimaginative, and far from "going all in" at all.
Your post is quite true and I’d far rather what we’re doing now than going the traditional route of a 5 year rebuild as about 85% of rebuilds actually fail because the ultimate goal is winning a flag, right? I saw someone on this board put in the effort of finding out of the % of coaches who don’t win flags so that’s the number I’ve gone with. When you add in coaches with multiple premierships then that number is lower than 85%

Winning flags (and finals) are great and nothing beats that. But the next best thing is winning more often than not during the season and Geelong accomplish that just about every year. If you go 15-7 and make a prelim then you’ve won a minimum of 16 games from 25. That means the club should’ve made their fans happy 64% of the year and I’d so much prefer this to doing a Carlton. 21 year rebuilds can happen to anybody.

That said I do think we could continue to do what we have already been doing - even (and preferably) with a big playing and coaching group clean out over the next 15 months.

We'll be relevant in terms of ladder position next year. Will we challenge? There's plenty of things that don't allow an accurate answer despite anyones opinions.

I’m not 100% sure about that. The cliff can come extremely quickly (see: Freo 2016) and our performances not just in the finals but also the four weeks before were really not great.

I’m not 100% sure about that. The cliff can come extremely quickly (see: Freo 2016) and our performances not just in the finals but also the four weeks before were really not great.

It can and it also may not.

But there's always our home ground advantage that goes in our favor too. Argue that too, I know; but history tells us that we'll maintain a decent winning percentage at GMHBA

About as much as a threat as we have been in the last 11 years , the script won’t be changing anytime soon

About as much as a threat as we have been in the last 11 years , the script won’t be changing anytime soon

People probably said that ahead of the 20 season but hey, we broke a monkey and made a grand final.

Anything is possible. Likely, maybe not. But possible.

People probably said that ahead of the 20 season but hey, we broke a monkey and made a grand final.

Anything is possible. Likely, maybe not. But possible.
Yeah we did but then came covid with shortened games and a shortened season plus many clubs not handling hub life well which we embraced. That plus not meeting Richmond till the Grand final. We had our best season no doubt but still there was a 53 point turnaround in that game - but making a grand final papered over the cracks in my opinion - 2021 we resumed normal transmission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back