Review Geelong Spifflocates the Shockers by 133 points @ KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Me thinks you doth protest too much!! Referring to people as champ and being so defensive highlights exactly the sort of state of mind you are in. If you were in fact in a celebratory mood after the win you wouldn't need to respond to every perceived slight!

Imagine our ruck resting forward... As the top teams double tag Hawkins, so if a big man is resting up forward it takes a player away from Hawkins. If the 2 Ruckman kick even just 3 goals between them it's a win.

I just simply don't understand people arguing that the merit of playing to rucks is to help Hawkins. We have played one ruck all year and Hawkins has been in career best form ( he will probably be AA). It is simply not an argument that stamps up to basic scrutiny. The one thing that is often questioned is our size and mobility and the ease with which teams moves the ball out of our forward line. That being the case there is absolutely no doubt that playing another ruckman will create more issues in an area already considered a weakness.

Rewatched the first half today and on reflection I think I was bit too harsh on our 1st quarter effort at the time. Yes, our defensive structures weren't quite there, which the lads corrected in the second and it stopped Freo scoring. But when we had the ball in the 1st quarter our spread was there and we made plenty of entries into the forward 50 with 9 scoring shots (including three out of bound on the full due to the wind) to their 5, so the score didn't really reflect how the cats were playing. Ross Lyon made mention of this too, saying their first quarter was Ok but not as good as the score may have indicated.

Can anyone share how Ryan Abbott played? I’m overseas so have only seen highlights. I see he had it 19 times and only fell a handull of hitouts short of Darcy.
I know Nank and Darcy aren't two dominant ruckmen, but his hitout count seems better at AFL level than VFL. Meaning he either steps it up on the bigger stage, or that there are some adept hit out proponents in the VFL who remain there due to extreme limitations in other aspects of their game.

I know Nank and Darcy aren't two dominant ruckmen, but his hitout count seems better at AFL level than VFL. Meaning he either steps it up on the bigger stage, or that there are some adept hit out proponents in the VFL who remain there due to extreme limitations in other aspects of their game.
Also he kept having to share the ruck with either Smith or Stanley

Can anyone share how Ryan Abbott played? I’m overseas so have only seen highlights. I see he had it 19 times and only fell a handull of hitouts short of Darcy.

Was great, had 31 hitouts to go with 19 disposals, did his job well and will be hard to displace, would feel confident in his abilities to take the mantle if Stanley doesn't come back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes and no. It caused a turnover and a certain cats goal reduced to nothing, but it was 5mins into the last Q. Abletts miss was closer to costing us the game, but in reality it was allowing them an 18point lead at 3QT.

It's the sort of risk we need to be taking. It didn't come off that time, but at least Thurlow's head was in the right space.

Didn’t a thurlow shank cost us the game against richmond?
Interesting how we love unloading on young players. The Thurlow mis kick resulted in a point to Richmond.
Did you think Joel cost us the game V Hawthorn when he didn't body line the ball or put his head over the ball which allowed Worpel to come through and kick A GOAL? How much did we lose by to Hawthorn. Interesting how some glass half empty people operate. And by the way I for one moment am not saying that Joel cost us that game , just using that as an example as there are a lot of things that happen in a game of football so to bring up one incident that didn't cost an opposition goal or categorically cost us a goal is just s**t talking IMO.

It's the sort of risk we need to be taking. It didn't come off that time, but at least Thurlow's head was in the right space.
I agree 100%. We played like that 1st Q v hawks and made them look silly, we played like that 4th Q v richmond and almost won the game.

For the finals, the players need free reign to go down the middle just like the good old days.

My favourite play was against the hawks when we kicked to a man 30m out from defensive goal out by himself and then he turned around and bombed it down the middle to hawk one on one. Need more of this, and dismantle the zone once again.

Id like to think weve been saving it for finals, but that would be crazy talk

Interesting how we love unloading on young players. The Thurlow mis kick resulted in a point to Richmond.
Did you think Joel cost us the game V Hawthorn when he didn't body line the ball or put his head over the ball which allowed Worpel to come through and kick A GOAL? How much did we lose by to Hawthorn. Interesting how some glass half empty people operate. And by the way I for one moment am not saying that Joel cost us that game , just using that as an example as there are a lot of things that happen in a game of football so to bring up one incident that didn't cost an opposition goal or categorically cost us a goal is just s**t talking IMO.
Um I’m a thurlow fan who think he has been screwed by the MC. Doesn’t mean I have to think he is the best kick in the team though.

I just simply don't understand people arguing that the merit of playing to rucks is to help Hawkins. We have played one ruck all year and Hawkins has been in career best form ( he will probably be AA). It is simply not an argument that stamps up to basic scrutiny. The one thing that is often questioned is our size and mobility and the ease with which teams moves the ball out of our forward line. That being the case there is absolutely no doubt that playing another ruckman will create more issues in an area already considered a weakness.

The argument is having a genuine tall forward and genuine ruck at the same time apart from Hawkins himself.
Problem with to many smalls is we get killed in the air and smashed at the drop.
We always do better on the scoreboard when we add the extra tall.

The argument is having a genuine tall forward and genuine ruck at the same time apart from Hawkins himself.
Problem with to many smalls is we get killed in the air and smashed at the drop.
We always do better on the scoreboard when we add the extra tall.

Agree , Sav was the ideal second tall forward who was becoming an offensive threat and looked very good relieving in the ruck. We tried Buzza in the same role but no cigar.
I like Henry but we lose far too much momentum when he relieves as ruck - we have a s**t hot midfield so it makes no sense to have them starved of opportunity when our main ruck is resting.
I think we play 2 rucks and hope like hell they both kick a goal or two when they are playing forward. Either Abbot or Smith to team with Stanley ?
However looks to me like Blitz may be the second ruck option with Harry and Hendo as the two tall backs when he's rucking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back