Review Geelong spifflocates West coast by 97 points.

Jun 5, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
hawkins goals came when Cameron was off the field. he had very few marks inside fifty when Cameron was on thé field. the high score involvements suggests Hawkins may of been used more up the field though when Cameron was on. im definately advocating we are better with both of them there. We need two quality key fowards. i just don’t think it released hawkins as a goal scorer. Which is not necessarily a negative if it means Hawkins can contest more ball up the field.
I think Hawk is more creative upfield and in forward ruck

Generalissimo

His Excellency
Jul 14, 2002
Somewhere
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
Even if pressuring the kicker rarely leads to turnovers (silly and obviously wrong, but let's suppose it for the sake of argument) it would still be worth doing. Why? Because not pressuring the kicker lets them run another five or ten meters before disposing of it, and it gives his teammates upfield extra time to lead. Chase effectively five times a quarter and you've effectively gained 200m over the course of the game, which is about the meters gained by the average player.

frggr

Fan Favourite (they/them)
May 16, 2012
Poland
AFL Club
Geelong
Pretty fair votes

Geelong v West Coast
10 Mitch Duncan (GEEL)
5 Cameron Guthrie (GEEL)
5 Jack Henry (GEEL)
3 Rhys Stanley (GEEL)
3 Tom Stewart (GEEL)
2 Lachie Henderson (GEEL)
2 Gary Rohan (GEEL)

BennyGan

Club Legend
Jan 15, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
There has to be someone "winning" that stat. I'm sure the good that Bews does outweighs the oob otf's.
yeah he does a lot of things well, and even sometimes does some really nice kicks, just blazes away sometimes. i think when he pushes up the ground he actually does kick it decent. its usually just the kicks coming out of 50 that he tends to spray.

BennyGan

Club Legend
Jan 15, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Alot rubbish him and bag him ( i havent been one of them ) and i know he is inconsistent and his GF record is poor - however in that 2nd qtr he beat Brad Sheppard ( who i think has been AA and is a pretty good player ) pointless

You can only pick and play - players who are on your list - thats why i have allways said that Rohan is easily in Geelongs best 22 - simply because he is

It is the same with Bews - no world beater - far from it - however as a back pocket - small defender - he also is in Geelongs best 22 - there is no one in the 2nds better than Bews in that position . If there was a youngish David Wojincsi currently in Geel 2nds - he would probably take Bews spot - but currently there isnt - and thats why Bews is easily in Geelongs best 22
Jordy Clark could be similar to wojack if he was given the chance but I dont think Scott trusts him

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah I really thought that we'd need two rucks and with too many talls Sav would come in for Rohan. But I don't think that idea is so hot anymore
Rohan has had one good qtr in his 4 games this season.. That’s no different to what he did last season and the year before. I’m not changing my mind on Rohan until he starts doing those Qtrs on a more consistent basis. So far this years it’s just more of the same. Let’s see how he goes over the next month.

Rohan has had one good qtr in his 4 games this season.. That’s no different to what he did last season and the year before. I’m not changing my mind on Rohan until he starts doing those Qtrs on a more consistent basis. So far this years it’s just more of the same. Let’s see how he goes over the next month.
He keeps getting the 3rd defender he'll keep making them hurt. He's a really awkward type to defend. You need someone tall who can match him for speed, or failing that someone who can read the play and be in his space before he gets there. Not many have that in a 3rd defensive option.

Play it Sam

Cupcakes are muffins who believed in miracles
Jun 25, 2013
Medicoland
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Replayaholics
He keeps getting the 3rd defender he'll keep making them hurt. He's a really awkward type to defend. You need someone tall who can match him for speed, or failing that someone who can read the play and be in his space before he gets there. Not many have that in a 3rd defensive option.

When the smalls are snooping around goals, he's right there behind them - his speed and nouse gets him to ball drop fast.
He's always gagging for a close goal (watch the replay and see his positioning) and thus great backup.

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
Aw man, you draw a line in the sand on a player and then start building a brick house beside it. The problem then is that you can't move when you need to.

He is our second best goal scorer. 5th for score assists. 3rd for contested marks. 6th for score involvements.

Take that out of the team and we are sitting 2-4 right now along with the likes of St Kilda and Hawthorn.

Further to this, here's what the mongrel punt thought of him:

ROHAN STANDS UP

And he didn’t just stand up against some scrub, fourth-string defender, either. He was playing on Brad F’n Sheppard in this game, and when the heat was on, Rohan was at his best.

I’ll give a bit of credit where it’s due… even though it’s killing me. Fellow Mongrel, and Geelong tragic, Julian Russo, stated earlier this week, that with the combination of Hawkins and Cameron drawing the fire, the time was ripe for Rohan to get off the chain.

And he didn’t just get off the chain – he grabbed that chain and beat Sheppard over the head with it in the first half.

I am sure that the Eagles designated the Rohan matchup as the one they could exploit, and have Sheppard zone off to cover for teammates. Rohan was having none of it, and his attack on the footy and impact on the game meant that Sheppard was forced to adjust and pay close attention to his direct opponent.

And that spelled trouble.

To Sheppard’s credit, Rohan went back to being his subdued self in the second half, collecting just three touches after half time, but by then, the damage had well and truly been done, and the game was on ice.

Rohan gets whacked by the media (and by writers on this website, for the record) for his habit of going missing when required, but once in a while, things click and he looks unstoppable. That is the version of Gary Rohan we got in the first half of this game, and he, as much as anyone else, set the tone for what was to follow.

Xcat

Team Captain
Sep 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Im loving him in his new role, potential is definitely there to add value.
He will come under a lot of pressure in that role as he will get a lot of handball receives as the speed option in defence.
My question is can he position himself better? Not having the benefit of seeing the game live but he appears to be very close to the contest at times and comes under immediate pressure.
Could he benefit from being a little further away thereby having more time and space?
Atkins could also learn to kick and handpass with his left side once in a while. Guess there's plenty of afl players who can't..

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
When was the last time we saw a successful barrel after the siren from a Geelong player? Any takers?

Long time ago - but 1993 - Geel came home with a wet sail - won i think the last 6 games - and annihilated alot of opponents in that win

They started the run by beating Nth Melb at the MCG ( a game i went to ) by nearly 100 pts - and they played champagne football - Trevor Poole had a day out

The following week they played Haw at KP - and absolutely smashed Hawthorn by 80 plus pts - and in that game Mark Bairstow kicked a magnificent torp goal - (from a similar spot where Duncans was ) but about 10 metres further out - and it didnt just cross the goal line like Duncans did - it cleared the fence - it was an absolute bomb

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Further to this, here's what the mongrel punt thought of him:

ROHAN STANDS UP

And he didn’t just stand up against some scrub, fourth-string defender, either. He was playing on Brad F’n Sheppard in this game, and when the heat was on, Rohan was at his best.

I’ll give a bit of credit where it’s due… even though it’s killing me. Fellow Mongrel, and Geelong tragic, Julian Russo, stated earlier this week, that with the combination of Hawkins and Cameron drawing the fire, the time was ripe for Rohan to get off the chain.

And he didn’t just get off the chain – he grabbed that chain and beat Sheppard over the head with it in the first half.

I am sure that the Eagles designated the Rohan matchup as the one they could exploit, and have Sheppard zone off to cover for teammates. Rohan was having none of it, and his attack on the footy and impact on the game meant that Sheppard was forced to adjust and pay close attention to his direct opponent.

And that spelled trouble.

To Sheppard’s credit, Rohan went back to being his subdued self in the second half, collecting just three touches after half time, but by then, the damage had well and truly been done, and the game was on ice.

Rohan gets whacked by the media (and by writers on this website, for the record) for his habit of going missing when required, but once in a while, things click and he looks unstoppable. That is the version of Gary Rohan we got in the first half of this game, and he, as much as anyone else, set the tone for what was to follow.

Yes it was another 1qtr rohan performance that he does once a month. He was overdue for one. He has done them before. He will do them again. But how often? Will the presence of cameron make them more regular or not? We just dont know yet.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Aw man, you draw a line in the sand on a player and then start building a brick house beside it. The problem then is that you can't move when you need to.

He is our second best goal scorer. 5th for score assists. 3rd for contested marks. 6th for score involvements.

Take that out of the team and we are sitting 2-4 right now along with the likes of St Kilda and Hawthorn.
Im sorry but if rohan hasnt played any games this year then we are atleast 4-2 with wins. We were beating west coast regardless of his 3 goals and he contributed virtually nothing in every other game he played. What game do we lose if he wasnt there?

Ps. We sacked menzel despite having better stats then the ones you just put up for rohan. Note how you have no defensive stats to put up. Only offensive ones.

Yes it was another 1qtr rohan performance that he does once a month. He was overdue for one. He has done them before. He will do them again. But how often? Will the presence of cameron make them more regular or not? We just dont know yet.
And the rest of the game he forced the Eagles to lock him down rather than play off and rebound. It's like forcing Stewart to defend all game and not letting him attack. Yes he was reasonably well defended the rest of the game and west coast locked themselves out of attacking in the process. Rohan has limitations but if you don't think he was key in setting up the win when the game was close then I don't know what to say

Back