Opinion Geelong Team of the 21st Century

Remove this Banner Ad

We had plenty of better defenders than Mackie. Mackie fitted perfectly into the way Geelong played during his career, he was a fine footballer I just happen to think Stewart is a much better defender.
He will in all likelihood end up being just that. But anything could happen. Injury. Loss of form. Wants out (very unlikely, but...)

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
B: Mackie, Lonergan, Scarlett
HB: Enright, Taylor, Harley
C: Bartel, Kelly, Duncan
HF: Johnson, Mooney, G. Ablett
FF: Chapman, Hawkins, Stokes
R: Ottens, Dangerfield, Selwood (C)
INT: King, Corey, Ling, Blicavs

Distinct lack of Tom Stewart here for mine, haha

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
He will in all likelihood end up being just that. But anything could happen. Injury. Loss of form. Wants out (very unlikely, but...)
Even if that does happen and stewart never plays again he still goes down as the better player. His two walkup all australians vouch for that.

Gees there are supporters in this thread who say egan was a better player then harley and lonergan despite playing less then one season.

But james wasnt even good enough to be a starting midfielder in the team he played in. Corey, bartel, ablett, ling, and later on s.johnson were all picked ahead of him as a starting mid.

Upon further thinking, he probably should be on the wing or the bench. But I do think he was a valuable contributor that flew under the radar when he was mixed with Bartel, Ablett and Selwood. Deserves his spot in the team, and his performance in the 2009 GF exemplifies why

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
Even if that does happen and stewart never plays again he still goes down as the better player. His two walkup all australians vouch for that.

Gees there are supporters in this thread who say egan was a better player then harley and lonergan despite playing less then one season.
We need a Couldabeen Champions Team of the Century.
Egan, Paul Brown, Daniel Menzel, Jason Snell

Surely we have to add Cockatoo & Cowan to that list

Yes, and because Egan really only had one stellar season he won't ever be a hall of famer or in the frame for ToC.

And my personal favourite, the man who Bomber Thompson once declared was off limits in trade talk, Kane Tenace

Cowan was not a coodabeen. Pick in the 60s who showed little talent.

Cowan is the perfect coodabeen - from his 16 games, he only lost 1 match; he was the perfect good luck charm who just couldn't get on the park

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Cowan is the perfect coodabeen - from his 16 games, he only lost 1 match; he was the perfect good luck charm who just couldn't get on the park
How many was's were was's purely cos of their good luckness?

Michael tuck perhaps? I didnt see enough of his career but some people seem to think he should be ranked in the top 10 players of all time and the only reasoning i get is his flags.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
And my personal favourite, the man who Bomber Thompson once declared was off limits in trade talk, Kane Tenace
Did tenace get seriously injured though or did he just prove to be sh*t? Kind of like david spriggs and billie smedts.

Marc Woolnough was the other couldabeen. Possibly. He got injured before he even played afl level though.

Did tenace get seriously injured though or did he just prove to be sh*t? Kind of like david spriggs and billie smedts.

Marc Woolnough was the other couldabeen. Possibly. He got injured before he even played afl level though.
Yeah, my bad. He had recurring hammies but his injuries weren't in the same class as Nakia or Woolnough

Feb 21, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong

Woolnough played seniors footy in 1998 before doing his knee in a pre-season match in 1999. Same match Colbert did his knee in as well.

DAlembert

Club Legend
Mar 12, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
How many was's were was's purely cos of their good luckness?

Michael tuck perhaps? I didnt see enough of his career but some people seem to think he should be ranked in the top 10 players of all time and the only reasoning i get is his flags.
I saw all Tucks career. A very good Hawthorn Player with extreme longevity but not even close to Top 10 All Time. Not part of the discussion even.

Tenace- Spriggs. Correct weight.

Yeah, my bad. He had recurring hammies but his injuries weren't in the same class as Nakia or Woolnough
Tenace was not hampered by injuries that much, just relative lack of nous , talent and skill.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Was actually best 22 in 07 before he got injured.
Not bad, being picked in the best team of all time.
Thought he was never the same once he came back, not that he was awesome to start with. But just IMO looked like he could've been allright before that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back