Geelong to host International T20

STFU Donnie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton, Chiefs Kingdom
Isn't Kardinia Park too narrow? Even narrower than the Adelaide Oval before the revamp?

EDIT: just looked it up. 115 m. With the required 5 m rope, that would make it effectively 105 m.

Aug 5, 2007
Near Casey Fields
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Trailblazers and Storm
Isn't Kardinia Park too narrow? Even narrower than the Adelaide Oval before the revamp?

EDIT: just looked it up. 115 m. With the required 5 m rope, that would make it effectively 105 m.
Still bit narrow but probably in line with how most grounds rope their boundaries in for T20.

Geelong should have a big bash side also.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

They're putting the pitch on an angle relative to the stands. Like pre-redeveloped Eden Park.

Aug 5, 2007
Near Casey Fields
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Trailblazers and Storm
No. Just no.
Why not? Have Bushrangers as the legit state team it should be and Geelong can be where some has beens, internationals and other untried players are. Should be like that in every state. Then people might feel some sort of connection to the sides and give a s**t. I couldn't give a stuff about the Stars or Renegades and have no interest in ever attending their matches, buying merchandise, etc.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon

The football club being grandfathered into the AFL era has given Geelong people a false impression of the city's importance. If CA decided Melbourne should have one team, that doesn't mean Geelong would get one. They'd put it in Canberra or Gold Coast or Newcastle or somewhere bigger.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2007
Near Casey Fields
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Trailblazers and Storm
The football club being grandfathered into the AFL era has given Geelong people a false impression of the city's importance. If CA decided Melbourne should have one team, that doesn't mean Geelong would get one. They'd put it in Canberra or Gold Coast or Newcastle or somewhere bigger.
Not interested in it having anything to do with the football club. Or just because Melbourne have a side in my example. Just proposing it as Geelong have a stadium. It also doesn't need many in it to look decent and the state has tipped in a bit to build it. Might as well be used. If the same thing existed out this way (Casey), or Ballarat/Bendigi I'd say the same for them.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I bring up the football club (that doesn't play all their games there) because it's why Geelongians say "We have an AFL team. Why don't we have all this other cool s**t? :huh:".

Aug 5, 2007
Near Casey Fields
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Trailblazers and Storm
I bring up the football club (that doesn't play all their games there) because it's why Geelongians say "We have an AFL team. Why don't we have all this other cool s**t? :huh:".
The football club would love to play all their games there. I don't care about Geelongians. I'm not one but I'd like worthwhile stadiums with good surfaces being used and cricket teams I give a s**t about (which would be the Bushrangers and daylight second).

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why not? Have Bushrangers as the legit state team it should be and Geelong can be where some has beens, internationals and other untried players are. Should be like that in every state. Then people might feel some sort of connection to the sides and give a s**t. I couldn't give a stuff about the Stars or Renegades and have no interest in ever attending their matches, buying merchandise, etc.

So, a legit state team, where a part of the state is not included? Seems legit.

Back