Geelong - Too old, too slow?

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
I thought it was more about us than it was about Geelong.

Richmond's pressure & work rate dropped off massively within the game.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
He's lethal in fron of goals out to about 35m.

It's like when players dribble kick into an open goal, or when Steve Johnson brought kicking around the corner for a set shot on a 45 degree angle into vogue.

If people just judged Miers on how many times it went through the two big sticks, they'd say he's one of Geelong's most reliable goal kickers. But he has a really weird style, so every time he misses one, it goes back to "You wonder why he wouldn't just kick a regular drop punt, not sure that style can hold up long term in the AFL...etc."

Because, of course, no-one ever misses when they kick a drop punt.

The best thing about last night was it was at the G. We hadn't played a good game away from Geelong this year, prior to last night... though I guess you could argue last week. Papley misses that goal, or Cameron is paid the mark and converts and we're probably talking about a famous victory. It's just the way the ball bounces sometimes, it's a funny game.

2016 was a bigger opportunity missed. We were smashing teams by seasons end. Come finals time, we barely scrape past Hawthorn to earn a weeks rest. Come back in the preliminary final against Sydney who were bruised and battered and missing a couple of starters and get absolutely hammered.

yep, that prelim was absolute garbage from the cats. Watched it with my dad when he was in hospital with cancer, cats got destroyed and my dad past away the next day. Horrible weekend.

Richmond had a lot of errors sneak in which was unusual especially after half time, and finally the cats pounced and took advantage of that.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
yep, that prelim was absolute garbage from the cats. Watched it with my dad when he was in hospital with cancer, cats got destroyed and my dad past away the next day. Horrible weekend.

I don't know about others, but as far as finals losses go, I could take the 2013 PF, 2019 PF, 2020 GF. Had a real crack, just came up short.

It's those ones where we were just never even in the game (2012/2018 EF, 2016 PF, 2017 QF) in what looked like they should be even contests that are tough to swallow. The ones where they've seemed shocked at the first bounce by the opposition's ferocity and commitment.

Oh God. We're the flag favourites now, per AFL.com and Dimma. That was quick.

the red and the blue are flag favs by the Flemington straight, and an injury free doggies are up there too. I still think we are below the tigers, I think dimma was being a bit cheeky with those comments.

I don't know about others, but as far as finals losses go, I could take the 2013 PF, 2019 PF, 2020 GF. Had a real crack, just came up short.

It's those ones where we were just never even in the game (2012/2018 EF, 2016 PF, 2017 QF) in what looked like they should be even contests that are tough to swallow. The ones where they've seemed shocked at the first bounce by the opposition's ferocity and commitment.
2016 felt like we were way too arrogant, just expecting the system to beat swans. Already thinking about the gf parade. Swans really taught the cats a lesson.

We have not played consistent footy all year & are losing by decent margin's on our home deck...

it is unusual, sometimes these are signs when great teams are reaching the end of their current run, Demons were amazing against you guys, we owed you one with it being gf replay and Frank Costa as well. I think the tigers were still in preseason mode against Swans.

I’d only start getting concerned if the giants come out next week and do the same thing we have.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
2016 felt like we were way too arrogant, just expecting the system to beat swans. Already thinking about the gf parade. Swans really taught the cats a lesson.

I think it illustrates why it's worth celebrating the achievement of simply making a grand final and being one of the last two teams left standing. Because your PF opponent is unlikely to just roll over and let you waltz into a GF. And if you're expecting them to and looking past them to next week, you're probably in for a rude shock. For better or worse the 2020, 2008, 1995, 1994 Geelong teams are some of the best in the history of Geelong and certainly my life. They've only played in - what? - 20-22 GFs in 125 years after all.

I feel like in 2012 we could probably be excused for being a bit spoilt and comfortable from our recent success. In 2016, it had been five years since we'd made a GF and there shouldn't have been any excuses for not being hungry enough.

Apr 11, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Locks for top 4 and will get danger back when it counts...will win all their games at home...they will go into finals with 4 straight wins and 6 of last 7...have a great “fixture” to end the season...

View attachment 1110648

As I posted a few weeks ago...locks for top 4..look at their 7 games as well..they are a good chance for top 2...

Cameron was the perfect get for them to take the pressure of Hawkins. Rohan also looks like a much better player... Smith and Higgins are the cream...the exact thing we tried to do with the likes of Omera and Wingard...the only difference is, the cats are actually in a premiership window and are a chance to win one with them there.

Tristan34

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
They've had the opportunity every year. What I'm saying is we won't get the answer to of they are good enough until they get to the point they've failed before. They've always been right up there as one of the best H&A sides we've seen under Chris Scott. It's the big finals that remains a question for them under his coaching.

What are you talking about?? Yes! They didn't win the flag, but to even get to the GF you gotta win big final games...

Agree

Tigers have teams getting themselves up to play them every week - it takes its toll.

Giants and Lions in the next two weeks both have something to prove too.

Tigers need to win at least 1 of next 2 games - have a pretty nice run home so 4-4 is an ok position to be in.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Tigers have teams getting themselves up to play them every week - it takes its toll.
I feel this is absolutely the case. Teams are priming themselves for the challenge and to prove something against the best side of the last few years.

Port Adelaide, Demons, Dogs, Cats - it feels like we've played 4 finals in those games. Even the Swans revved themselves up to put in their best performance of the year against us.

It's taking a huge toll on us, Teams are bringing 110% against us and it seems we can't bring that level every week.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
As I posted a few weeks ago...locks for top 4..look at their 7 games as well..they are a good chance for top 2...

Cameron was the perfect get for them to take the pressure of Hawkins. Rohan also looks like a much better player... Smith and Higgins are the cream...the exact thing we tried to do with the likes of Omera and Wingard...the only difference is, the cats are actually in a premiership window and are a chance to win one with them there.

Yeah, but you did it with Lake and won three.

So Richmond lost, Geelong didn’t win?

RogersResults

Premiership Player
May 7, 2009
Wagga Wagga
"For better or worse the 2020, 2008, 1995, 1994 Geelong teams are some of the best in the history of Geelong and certainly my life. They've only played in - what? - 20-22 GFs in 125 years after all."

All teams' number of times as 'Premiers' or 'Runners-up' 1897-2020 - ranked as a percentage of seasons competed in.

1stand2nd.png

Lynchy04

Cancelled
Apr 20, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Maybe starting from next week, aye?

Thats the best I’ve seen Geelong play in a long time. Fast direct footy it was good to watch. If they play that style they will be hard to stop, if they play their slow style they normally do I still stand by they look like they battle big time.

Lynchy04

Cancelled
Apr 20, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Oh God. We're the flag favourites now, per AFL.com and Dimma. That was quick.

The media is a disgrace these days can’t watch any of the shows anymore before last week Tigers were written off , beat the bulldogs it’s back to we can’t be stopped.

I know they have to fill in weeks of programming but it’s complete dribble.

Watch if the Cats or Demons drop a game or two coming up they will write them off and Port will be the favorites.....

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
The media is a disgrace these days can’t watch any of the shows anymore before last week Tigers were written off , beat the bulldogs it’s back to we can’t be stopped.

I know they have to fill in weeks of programming but it’s complete dribble.

Watch if the Cats or Demons drop a game or two coming up they will write them off and Port will be the favorites.....

Fox Footy was good this week with Richmond on top of the 'power rankings'. I mean, I have all the respect in the world for Richmond and no problem with anyone thinking they're the team to beat. The flag still goes through them.

But if you're doing a power ranking of AFL teams in 2021 right now and have anyone besides Melbourne (who weren't even second) at the top, you're doing it wrong.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Thats the best I’ve seen Geelong play in a long time. Fast direct footy it was good to watch. If they play that style they will be hard to stop, if they play their slow style they normally do I still stand by they look like they battle big time.
Agreed. They looked more like 2007 Cats than Chris Scott Cats. It will be interesting if hey can maintain it all year and through finals.

Dare I say it....this time in 2007 Richmond helped Geelong kick start its season with a massive win. You know what happened after that game.

Back