Geelong - Too old, too slow?

Remove this Banner Ad

In round 12 2019 Geelong helped Richmond kick start their season, defeating them by 67 points.
I’ll pay that...BTW. Anyone who writes Richmond off is a fool

The media is a disgrace these days can’t watch any of the shows anymore before last week Tigers were written off , beat the bulldogs it’s back to we can’t be stopped.

I know they have to fill in weeks of programming but it’s complete dribble.

Watch if the Cats or Demons drop a game or two coming up they will write them off and Port will be the favorites.....

I'm on the Eagles bandwagon, a 100 point win against the hardest team to beat at the MCG.... Hawthorn tomorrow will shoot them back into premiership contenders status!

A win against a lumbering Richmond isn't something to celebrate, they had ample opportunity to do it since 2017 but failed to do so.

If Geelong can maintain this attacking football against every side and not go back into their slow methodical approach, they'll definitely figure into finals and premiership contention. But can they sustain the attacking style of play with their aging list between now and finals ? only time will tell.

P.S Seeing Smith with a Geelong guernsey is like a daggar to the heart :( but I love how he plays the game.

I feel this is absolutely the case. Teams are priming themselves for the challenge and to prove something against the best side of the last few years.

Port Adelaide, Demons, Dogs, Cats - it feels like we've played 4 finals in those games. Even the Swans revved themselves up to put in their best performance of the year against us.

It's taking a huge toll on us, Teams are bringing 110% against us and it seems we can't bring that level every week.

Tigers avoided it last year as most of the comp was in survival mode in 2020.

But yes Giants and Lions will turn up in the next two weeks knowing that Richmond might be a bit vulnerable and there's an opportunity for some revenge.

It's a big two weeks for the Tigers. If they win at least 1 of the next two games then still in a good spot.

I think in 2016 it felt like the only time Hawthorn played a side that wasn't playing one of their better games of the year was when we played the Bombers.

Not taking away from the continued good form from the likes of Cam Guthrie, Mitch Duncan and others, but its amazing the difference one player, Jeremy Cameron, can make and the flow on effect from his inclusion.

It's a lot like 2016 when Danger was recruited the season after Geelong missed the finals for the first time in about a decade. He took all that extra weight off Selwood who had been getting crushed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that was a nice surprise. Good to see the forward line working and us playing a more direct attacking style.

But hold your horses, we are 5 and 3, moving into some good form. Not 8 and 0.

Even if you were 8 - 0 one could argue that all it says is that a club is in form to start the season. Only thing that matters is:

- form going into the finals
- form in September
- no injuries

The H&A season is purely these days to get into finals. The week off has nullified any advantage that was there for finishing 1 & 2.

Great win last night though. I think it shows that the 3 additions to the Cats (Cameron, Smith, Higgins) could be a master-stroke.

Long way to go. See you again in the back end of the season.

Kudos for last night!!!!

ignoring draft rules/technicalities...after last night's demolition of the mighty Tiges, would Cats fans prefer to have Gaz back for the finals ? Tomahawk, Jezza, Gazza.......and Rohan if he turns up.

I think Rohan will be much better for it as a 3rd tall... Having Cameron there will make him better IMO..

The biggest question mark against Geelong isn't age or speed, it's September. They have had an old, slow team for years and they are always better than at least half of the competition, usually more. They were better last year in the finals but still scored 42 in the QF and 50 in the GF. For whatever reason they never seem to play with the same freedom in big finals. They had most of the momentum in the first half of the 2020 GF and kicked 5.5. Richmond came out and wiped away the first half lead in 15 minutes. They are more than capable of beating Richmond, Melbourne, Port, Brisbane, whoever - but if they beat Richmond in the finals I can't see them putting anything near 123 on the board.

The biggest question mark against Geelong isn't age or speed, it's September. They have had an old, slow team for years and they are always better than at least half of the competition, usually more. They were better last year in the finals but still scored 42 in the QF and 50 in the GF. For whatever reason they never seem to play with the same freedom in big finals. They had most of the momentum in the first half of the 2020 GF and kicked 5.5. Richmond came out and wiped away the first half lead in 15 minutes. They are more than capable of beating Richmond, Melbourne, Port, Brisbane, whoever - but if they beat Richmond in the finals I can't see them putting anything near 123 on the board.

You're right. Having more of a proper forward line helps although smalls wise it can still improve.

I think Cameron is specifically there to help capitalise on those periods of dominance, and we can already see how it makes life easier for Hawkins and Rohan.

Can't write us off until we are knocked out, but admittedly it's looking increasingly unlikely. 4 losses already, 3 of those at the MCG. It's not promising form.

Recent great sides haven’t won more than 3 flags in 5 seasons, actually who was the last side to do it at all? Demons in the 50s?

Can't write us off until we are knocked out, but admittedly it's looking increasingly unlikely. 4 losses already, 3 of those at the MCG. It's not promising form.
GWS (H)
Lions (A)
Crows (H)
Bombers (A - MCG)
Eagles (A)
Saints (H)
Suns (A)
Pies (H)
Lions (H)
Cats (A - MCG)
Dockers (A)
North (H)
GWS (A)
Haw (H)

Pretty favourable run, notwithstanding 5 interstate trips. Still have the current bottom 5 to play, all of them at the MCG.

You'd likely only go in as underdogs against Eagles and Lions away.

You're 4-4. Last year you were 4-3-1. Every chance of a top four finish, at worst, the Tigers are 1 game and % out at the end of this round.

GWS (H)
Lions (A)
Crows (H)
Bombers (A - MCG)
Eagles (A)
Saints (H)
Suns (A)
Pies (H)
Lions (H)
Cats (A - MCG)
Dockers (A)
North (H)
GWS (A)
Haw (H)

Pretty favourable run, notwithstanding 5 interstate trips. Still have the current bottom 5 to play, all of them at the MCG.

You'd likely only go in as underdogs against Eagles and Lions away.

You're 4-4. Last year you were 4-3-1. Every chance of a top four finish, at worst, the Tigers are 1 game and % out at the end of this round.

If they can get to 7-5, you’d still think definitely in the hunt.

Warning bells would begin if they lost to GWS.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back