Toump Ass

The Big Deal
Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
It's funny, innit. Geelong getting more old campaigners into their team because the old campaigners who already weren't good enough to win a flag are getting older and of course they'll get closer to a flag and maybe even pinch one if they bring in even more old campaigners in to help all the old campaigners they already have hehehe.

fu** rebuilding.

WillHayward

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
It's funny, innit. Geelong getting more old campaigners into their team because the old campaigners who already weren't good enough to win a flag are getting older and of course they'll get closer to a flag and maybe even pinch one if they bring in even more old campaigners in to help all the old campaigners they already have hehehe.

fu** rebuilding.
They could win the flag in 2022.
But a handful of top teams would have to suffer from the plague or something.

The Dougster

Team Captain
Dec 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think Chris Scott could persist with his veterans for another year or two. It’s when he admits defeat and then says to the board I really need three years to do a proper re-build (while pointing to his W-L record and very distant premiership)… do they give him that extension?
Another heavy loss in a do or die final would test those running Geelong

PhatBoy

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Also worth thinking about: we can’t go from old to youthful in one off season. So what happens if we come out and go, say, 5-1 next season and Stanley gets hurt. I’d rather have ceglar there than Blicavs or Ratugolea

DanA

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2006
Richmond
AFL Club
Geelong
Swing and a miss.

It's not like we were miles off though, just couldn't quite get it over the line the last couple of years. We're now looking like we're at the stage we're its Dumb and Dumber style "so you're saying there's a chance".

WillHayward

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Bingo. Tried the draft, free agency and trade, and still no solution.
A point lost on Will and the old fossil.
Not lost on me at all. Youv'e tried and failed. Yet all we hear is Kool Aid talk about 'Wellsy' being a 'genius' and a 'ripping bloke'.

My hypothesis is a simple one:

1. Geelong cant win a flag with this list.
  2. Geelong need to re-fresh and re-configure the list
  3. The head is in the sand and the can is being kicked down the road
  4. The longer the rebuild is postponed the harder, longer and deeper the hole will be
  5. Chris Scott has become so entrenched in his siege mentality he is no longer acting in the best interests of the club
  6. Some people at the club agree with me on (1-5) but nobody at the club has the status to stand up to Chris at the moment

None of your 'points' are 'lost on me'.

I think you are all kool aid drinkers with your heads shoved into the sand.

Are you buying into the 'virus' explanation for the prelim? Asking for a friend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neale4brownlow

Premiership Player
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
It’s cooked regardless. May as well try one more time
Definitely agree with this.
I think they know the cliff is about 5-6years high now (as soon as they fall off).

Every year they assess, ask themselves... do we really want to go down that 5-6year rebuild.. or should we go one more.

Obviously the answer again this year is 1 more. Can't blame them with the cattle they still have I think you have to double down again.

Neale4brownlow

Premiership Player
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Not lost on me at all. Youv'e tried and failed. Yet all we hear is Kool Aid talk about 'Wellsy' being a 'genius' and a 'ripping bloke'.

4. The longer the rebuild is postponed the harder, longer and deeper the hole will be
  5. Chris Scott has become so entrenched in his siege mentality he is no longer acting in the best interests of the club
  6. Some people at the club agree with me on (1-5) but nobody at the club has the status to stand up to Chris at the moment

Are you buying into the 'virus' explanation for the prelim? Asking for a friend.
Although I probably agree with alot of your points I wouldnt go so far as to say cats fans have their heads in the sand.

That honour probably belongs with the Hawks, who some don't see a need for a rebuild.

Geelong made a prelim... There's no point hitting the eject button until you fall off the cliff. They havent hit it yet. They're climbing higher up the mountain though so the fall will get bigger... but while there's any chance of a premiership in 2022 who the hell cares?

EDIT: I dont think their home ground advantage can be discounted either. I think it helps Geelong aging list not be exposed during the H&A season. Lesser need to run and spread on such a narrow ground. Easier to control the flow of the game on their terms and not get into a shootout.

They'll still be there about's in the H&A for 2022 and then its all flip of a coin type stuff come finals.

PhatBoy

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

Can someone PLEASE explain to me why the rebuild will be longer?

Because we aren’t deliberately trying to get top 3 draft picks?

Won’t the rebuild be the same length of time regardless of when it commences?

Additionally, the notion that a 11-year coach who has achieved what he has, who was also part of one of the greatest onfield teams of all time, has demonstrated repeatedly that he is astute and has a tremendous understanding of the game, would suffer from some sort of siege mentality delusion and hold a club under the water out of nothing more than stubbornness and arrogance etc is mind-meltingly stupid.

He’s not David Koresh at Waco mate.

He’s one major part of a very large decision making team who each year sit back and carefully analyse everything they’ve done, what’s worked, what’s failed, what other clubs have done, and what needs to happen to go one better.

Last edited:

Ricky Vaughn

Premiership Player
Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong

Which friend are you asking for?

Is he the same one who keeps referring to Wells as a “genius” and a “ripper bloke?”

RobbieGray17

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
They're hanging by a thread tbh

There is literally no way they can match it with Brisbane/Melbourne/Port and Bulldogs who are all getting better

I definitely expect St Kilda to be much better next year

The age and experience they have hit the ceiling a long time ago. Geelong will fall right off the cliff next season.

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
They're hanging by a thread tbh

There is literally no way they can match it with Brisbane/Melbourne/Port and Bulldogs who are all getting better

I definitely expect St Kilda to be much better next year

The age and experience they have hit the ceiling a long time ago. Geelong will fall right off the cliff next season.
Settling into the second decade of a premiership drought now

They have to be a chance next season or two, but a deep rebuild after that puts them into the third decade of drought before being genuine contenders again.

the true cat fans I know have confided that they are basically waiting for the next generation Abletts to come of age before they genuinely contend again. If you look at their history post-war, that’s hard to argue with.

who is coming through on the Ablett front and when would they be draft age?

PhatBoy

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Settling into the second decade of a premiership drought now

They have to be a chance next season or two, but a deep rebuild after that puts them into the third decade of drought before being genuine contenders again.

the true cat fans I know have confided that they are basically waiting for the next generation Abletts to come of age before they genuinely contend again. If you look at their history post-war, that’s hard to argue with.

who is coming through on the Ablett front and when would they be draft age?
The true cats fans you know sound like w***ers.

If there’s one thing that history has shown, it’s that there is only one way to get competitive and win and that’s for one of your past champions to have a child who is also a champion. There is literally no other way to get a team assembled that can win a competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad