Geelong - Too old, too slow?

Remove this Banner Ad

They are in big trouble…they are just lucky that this is one of the weakest seasons in terms of quality for a long time.. freo are going to finish top 4..st Kilda and Carlton a good chance as well..they will win enough games to give them a chance to push for 4th spot come seasons end but they aren’t winning the flag.. as I said a few weeks ago, their midfield is too one pace and they rely far too heavily on Tom Stewart down back..

Sam De Koning and max holmes will be their next crop of A graders but that’s about it.

Like us in recent years, their cliff is coming and fast

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong will always win 8 to 10 games because they play teams once every 2 years at the Cattery and its a ridiculous shape which makes it much easier to win.

That is ridiculous, it’s a footy oval, so if Melbourne played Manangatang on a particular shaped footy oval Manangatang would win, Nuff post of the season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That is ridiculous, it’s a footy oval, so if Melbourne played Manangatang on a particular shaped footy oval Manangatang would win, Nuff post of the season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It most certainly is not an oval. More peanut shaped if anything.

One side is rounded and the other is flat. Its pathetic that with the hundreds of millions spent on the stadium that they havent been made to fix it.

The SCG was forced to make the entire ground space bigger. Geelong just need to make one wing.

The Cats have been a great side for so long and still a long way to go in the season but which of their players are likely to finish up at the end of the year?
Selwood
Higgins (Not best 22?)
Rohan (Not best 22)
Smith/Tuohy
Stanley
It will need to be staggered over the next 3 years but it also depends on who is coming through to replace those that retire and also if any trades are done to fill the gaps and with the draw power of the club i can see that as a realistic option. It may not be the A grader but someone to play a role and keep the club in contention
Not that he ever could be replaced but does the club have a key forward coming through for after Hawkins is gone?

The Cats have been a great side for so long and still a long way to go in the season but which of their players are likely to finish up at the end of the year?
Selwood
Higgins (Not best 22?)
Rohan (Not best 22)
Smith/Tuohy
Stanley
It will need to be staggered over the next 3 years but it also depends on who is coming through to replace those that retire and also if any trades are done to fill the gaps and with the draw power of the club i can see that as a realistic option. It may not be the A grader but someone to play a role and keep the club in contention
Not that he ever could be replaced but does the club have a key forward coming through for after Hawkins is gone?
That's a whole lot of spend gone out of their salary cap, opening up some opportunities for the Cats to bring in some quality via FA which will keep them competitive for the next 5 years.

FWIW I hope Tuohy doesn't retire soon - my favourite non-Tiger footballer. The game will lose a real character when he goes - would be a star media performer.

Would really be a question for Cats supporters but I see Smith and Tuohy as able to go on next year but it is also if they both retire the same year it could cause issues losing that experience on the outside unless someone can step into that role straight away or the recruit an experienced wingman/outside runner which is possible

Selwood
Higgins (Not best 22?)
Rohan (Not best 22)
Smith/Tuohy
Stanley

There are others as well. Higgins, Dahlhaus, and Rohan shouldn't get picked again. Selwood is running on willpower alone but defensively he gets sliced open easily now. Dangerfield has become just another player.

The really important one is Hawkins. He's still the most important player. Once he goes I don't know where goals will come from, either directly or indirectly. And he's 34 in July so they better start thinking about it.

We’ll contend for finals next year. The cliff isnt that soon or extreme.
I think they fell off the edge long ago, it's going to be a pretty tough few seasons ahead. Danger and Selwood should give it away now, they have no Rucks, the midfield is more than ordinary and very little youth coming through. Geelong is not a very good team.

As a long term Geelong resident, but full on Tiger fan, it's interesting how the dynamic around the town works when it comes to the Cats. They've been so successful for so long in terms of H&A games won (especially at home where they have routinely smashed up the weaker teams) that the concept of dropping back to potentially move forward is foreign (and a perceived no no) to them. Most of their fan base seem more than happy in that they win enough games (and have that nice Monday morning during the year "we had a win" feeling) to make finals (even top 4), but when they lose the big ones when it counts in September it's a shrug and "we'll be back next year".

Yes, it is nice to waltz into work on Monday after a win, but in reality it's a bit of a false economy. Been going on for so long though that I can't see how it ever changes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back