Geelong - Too old, too slow?

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m in your camp with that, when cats have won the flag, they were the best team and when they didn’t, they weren’t.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
That’s pretty much it
Geelong of last 5 years is miles off the 2007-11 squad.

The fact Geelong makes the 8 each year with a mediocre playing group is an indictment on the clubs who routinely finish below them each year

To those of you who thing Geelong has an advantage at Kardinia Park- Guess What.......that advantage is about to get larger when the latest redevelopment is done at the end of this year the AFL will have Zero reasons to not allow Geelong 11 home games at KP

To those of you who thing Geelong has an advantage at Kardinia Park- Guess What.......that advantage is about to get larger when the latest redevelopment is done at the end of this year the AFL will have Zero reasons to not allow Geelong 11 home games at KP

So we will get to enjoy the irrational joy of H & A wins and continued failure in finals. Awesome.

So we will get to enjoy the irrational joy of H & A wins and continued failure in finals. Awesome.

If there was any relationship between ground shape and finals failure, yes.

But there isn’t so you’ll have to enjoy our finals failures for the reason that we simply don’t play that well in them, which obviously won’t be as fun

If there was any relationship between ground shape and finals failure, yes.

But there isn’t so you’ll have to enjoy our finals failures for the reason that we simply don’t play that well in them, which obviously won’t be as fun

So the wins at the Cattery during H & A are on par with the wins away from the Cattery during finals?

I reckon I can enjoy any reason for Geelong failure.

But this was especially fun:
Gino-Corica-6273760.jpg

So the wins at the Cattery during H & A are on par with the wins away from the Cattery during finals?

I reckon I can enjoy any reason for Geelong failure.

But this was especially fun:
Gino-Corica-6273760.jpg

They’re no different to the wins any other side has at their home ground - if you want me to post our ‘better AWAY record than every other team for the last decade’ stats again, I can - do you want me to? Because I’m very curious to see what the relationship between ground shape and home and away results has compared to ground shape and finals results that you seem so gloriously determined to hold onto.

Was it the shape of the ground that made the ball miss the goal when, say, Tom Hawkins kick 0.5 against Port Adelaide?

When we are falling off tackles and missing targets in finals and kicking poorly is it because the ball has a conscience and goes ‘oh hang on the wing at this place is a bit rounder than back in Geelong - I’d better come off the boot poorly and get slippery so no one can mark me.’?

They need to cut there losses and bottom out when Selwood and Hawkins go. GMHBA is becoming a hinderance to their rebuild. Keeps them in contention but doesn’t let them finish bottom 4 where the good picks are.

This is because they get to train on their home ground unlike MCG tenants. So they get a massive advantage as they know that ground inside and out. Imagine we played H&A and finals games at punt road. People would say that’s unfair as well.

They need to cut there losses and bottom out when Selwood and Hawkins go. GMHBA is becoming a hinderance to their rebuild. Keeps them in contention but doesn’t let them finish bottom 4 where the good picks are.

This is because they get to train on their home ground unlike MCG tenants. So they get a massive advantage as they know that ground inside and out. Imagine we played H&A and finals games at punt road. People would say that’s unfair as well.
We play the ground well which is good for revenue making finals.

However the biggest concern is topping up with players past their prime. Grand final winning sides at the start of dynasties have a core group between 24-26 years old, gives them 4-5 years of dominance. Geelongs sides from 2016 to now are like the Geelong of 2012, Hawks of 2016, tigers of 21, they are just over their peak but they're experienced enough to win enough games to play finals, but get found out when the whips are cracking come finals. It's a flawed method, the only chance we had was 2020, due to covid and shorter qtrs.

The problem is we have gone and got Cameron, so we're all in, but our midfield is too old and gets beaten up by other side's in the 8. We need an injection of 3-6 year players to go through our midfield, but have no players of trade currency to give away.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the last 2 of those in question practically won away from Victoria.... in fact wasn't those last two entire seasons almost played away from Victoria?
I think the 'old' VicBias advantage was put to bed during the pandemic.
Wasn't Geelong or Richmond's fault that the Lions & Port shat the beds in 2020 after a huge leg up. Nor was it Melbourne or the Dogs fault in 21.
Read up.
PJays was claiming Geelong and interstate teams have an advantage
Which is clearly not true.

We are also talking about two different things .

One is ground advantage and one is overall structural advantage.

Melbourne based teams have a great overall structural advantage because Melbourne produces the majority of players and the majority of players want to live in nice suburbs in Melbourne.
This helps the Dees and Tiges etx a smidgen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard it won’t be increased to 11.

Read up.
PJays was claiming Geelong and interstate teams have an advantage
Which is clearly not true.

We are also talking about two different things .

One is ground advantage and one is overall structural advantage.

Melbourne based teams have a great overall structural advantage because Melbourne produces the majority of players and the majority of players want to live in nice suburbs in Melbourne.
This helps the Dees and Tiges etx a smidgen.

Interstate clubs and the cats get more pure home ground games during H&A than Melbourne based teams do because we have to share it, so a lot of our “home games” are neutral. But the GF is played at the MCG so we get the advantage their because we’ve played at the MCG more often. You guys aren’t hard done by at all even though you think you are.

Our home ground was never an issue prior to 07 when we were losing games there.

Maybe we're just a good side and opposition trolls are too afraid to admit it. 🤷

And playing "home" finals at the MCG against MCG tenants was never an issue until you started losing them.
I'm glad we can agree

If people actually believe we have an advantage in the AFL system because we play 9 games a year at a ground we train at a few times a week, there's really not much I can say other than you either need a proper education or you should cease trolling and save that for the teenagers who can't come to grips with their teams not being good enough to win anywhere. 🤦

It's staggering that any discussion involving footy these days has turned into a circus.

Our home ground was never an issue prior to 07 when we were losing games there.

Maybe we're just a good side and opposition trolls are too afraid to admit it. 🤷
Been on the same venue with the same dimensions since the mid 1940s.
Winning or losing was never a problem then that was ground specific.

But somehow now the ground is the issue. Simultaneously seems to be the cause of finals losses (disadvantaging us) and stops a full rebuild (advantaging us) at the same time. Mental short people on this site.

I'm glad we can agree

If people actually believe we have an advantage in the AFL system because we play 9 games a year at a ground we train at a few times a week, there's really not much I can say other than you either need a proper education or you should cease trolling and save that for the teenagers who can't come to grips with their teams not being good enough to win anywhere. 🤦

It's staggering that any discussion involving footy these days has turned into a circus.
That's crap our ground is a unique shape, long and skinny, which catches out many full ground zone defences. It was less of a problem when we actually played proper positions on the ground.

It's no secret that after west coast, made domains shape identical to the g, compared to subi, they played far better at the g

We don’t play finals games at GMHBA so it’s difficult for people to label us playing finals games there as ‘unfair.’

And playing "home" finals at the MCG against MCG tenants was never an issue until you started losing them.

Yes we never wanted them at home before that. That’s why we campaigned for, and got our first, at the conclusion of a run of 12-4 in finals matches. Because we’d never thought of it. Until then. When we started to lose regularly. That’s when we thought of it. After 115 years. That’s when we first contemplated it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back