Geelong - Too old, too slow?

Remove this Banner Ad

They're the poker player convinced raising again and again and again will get them out of trouble only to face a much worse loss than if they just folded the hand when they should have.

They should have started the rebuild 2 years ago. They now have a terribly lopsided list and will not be able to have the quick rejuvenation a team like Sydney has had. They are looking at a good 5 years in the wildnerness. A Hawthorn style hangover. But at least Hawthorn got multiple flags out of going veteran heavy. Nobody will remember the thousand prelims 20 years from now.

They made a GF and a prelim, I wouldn’t say they should of begin rebuilding, if you’re that close to a flag you can’t claim you should of just given up when you finish 3rd/4th and 2nd. Many clubs begin rebuilds and barely even reach mid table (my team).

But now it’s time for at least a replenish, not great to be doing it without a pick in the top 30. If they could claim anyone in their mid 20s via free agency maybe jump at it.

It’s hard to envision a scenario where they are in flag contention in 2022.

They should have started the rebuild 2 years ago.
They should've started the rebuild at the end of 2015 when they missed the finals.

Instead, Dangerfield became available, so they traded their first and second picks for him. Then rather than assemble a quality intake of youth to build around him, they decide to further top up with old players like Tuohy, Henderson, Stanley, Ablett and others, all to desperately avoid the inevitable dip to the bottom.

Get two first rounders for Danger and Duncan.
Try keep Clark and Narkle. Get the best deals possible if not.
Hit the draft

Retire Higgins and Dahlhaus.

Blood Holmes, De Koning, Stephens, Taheny.

There I said it.

They finished 3rd. Bad way to end the season but they're not over the cliff yet.

First pick in the 30's so a rebuild isn't about to start in earnest. Maybe let a few veterans go and replace them with others on a one-year deal.

Geelong will be in a world of hurt in a couple of years time. Their plan on gaining older players has failed and their neglect on youth will impact them in the future.
So be it. We’re due after all! That being said, proximity to the coast etc (perhaps a few good players wanting to move down the coast) and maybe a few good picks in the next few years and I don’t think we’ll be down for long.

They finished 3rd. Bad way to end the season but they're not over the cliff yet.

First pick in the 30's so a rebuild isn't about to start in earnest. Maybe let a few veterans go and replace them with others on a one-year deal.

They are cooked. Gambled that a team that peaked at very good could snatch a flag, and almost got there last year, but that was their high tide with this list. Every year they delay a serious rebuild from here on in adds another 2 years in the wilderness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are cooked. Gambled that a team that peaked at very good could snatch a flag, and almost got there last year, but that was their high tide with this list. Every year they delay a serious rebuild from here on in I’d another w years in the wilderness.

Can't see how thay can get what they need to go up a gear. Won't be surprised if they're in the finals again, though. Then Scott's contract will be up and it'll be time to look elsewhere.

Their backline tonight:

Blicavs, Henderson, Henry, Kolodjashnij, Bews, Z Guthrie, Atkins.

7 defensive backmen. Not 1 guy who challenges the forward to mind them. Where's the run and carry and foot skills? How are they meant to counter attack with that group? Obviously Touhy and Duncan can drop back from a wing but you've then invited extra numbers in to the back half or slowed down the play to go lateral to the winger. Stewart would make a difference instead of Z Guthrie clealry, but he's hardly Caleb Daniel or Daniel Rich in terms of ball use.

Bews has a little burst. Atkins has nice moves through traffic. But they aren't really kicking defenders.

Then the midfield: Duncan, Touhy, Menegola, Selwood, Danger, Guthrie with Isaac Smith and Holmes often rolling up from half forward or rotating through.

That's a talented group that should be able to move the ball quickly still even with older guys. Clearly they missed Parfitt's defensive burst. But how is Danger going to get space if they don't counter? How is Menegola going to outwork his opponent if it's slow kick/mark.

If I were Geelong I'd be playing Touhy and Duncan off the half back flanks, Menegola and Smith on the wings and find a couple of other depth mids (Narkle, Constable, whoever) and I'd be kicking the cover off the footy from half back to get it to Hawkins and Cameron as kick as possible.

Can't see how thay can get what they need to go up a gear. Won't be surprised if they're in the finals again, though. Then Scott's contract will be up and it'll be time to look elsewhere.

Honestly don’t disagree with anything you say. Will be interesting to see how their gamble is judged in retrospect though. My guess is it won’t be kind.

Chris Scott in the presser saying they need to look at 2010 for inspiration to bounce back from a bad prelim loss, just like they did in 2011.

You know what that means? No rebuilds, no youth, will probably add another 2-3 old top-ups. Here we go again.

Chris Scott in the presser saying they need to look at 2010 for inspiration to bounce back from a bad prelim loss, just like they did in 2011.

You know what that means? No rebuilds, no youth, will probably add another 2-3 old top-ups. Here we go again.
He's selling hope, it is all he can do.

They have no first this year, they literally gave up the farm for Cameron. Right or wrong they were never just going to blow it up 12 months later.

They are cooked. Gambled that a team that peaked at very good could snatch a flag, and almost got there last year, but that was their high tide with this list. Every year they delay a serious rebuild from here on in adds another 2 years in the wilderness.

In the GF last year, had that been a full 80 minute game the Cats gave every indication they would have been smashed by 9-10 goals. They were being completely over-run. Their high water mark was the 2019 PF when they lost by 19 points, again being over-run.

They have 1 of their last 15 finals against a team who finished top 4 after the finals. And Scott in his presser is again suggesting it is just because they weren’t lucky enough to be “hot” come finals time.

They are simply too old, too slow, and not enough class players in their peak years.

Last edited:
Looking forward to bumping this in a few weeks when Geelong are in another GF.

You didn't.

Come one, we've all seen this movie before. The Cats will convincingly beat whoever they play next week - Sydney or GWS - and be right back in the preliminary finals mix up against the team who wins tonight, Brisbane or Melbourne.

Anyone who writes them off at this stage, and it appears this thread is bursting at the seams with them, is crazy.

Yeah..nah

Geelong's Lowest Score each year - is this game style or is this just naturally lower scores in finals or is this just s**ting the bed?

2021: QF v PA 5.13 (43) - next lowest Rd 15 v Bris 7.8 (50)
2020: Rd 17 v Rich 4.7 (31) - QF v PA 5.12 (42) 2nd lowest
2019: QF v Coll 7.9 (51) - next lowest Rd 16 v WB 7.13 (55)
2018: EF v Melb 6.10 (46) - next lowest Rd 9 v Ess 7.8 (50)
2017: QF v Rich 5.10 (40) - next lowest Rd 20 v Syd 8.13 (61)
2016: PF v Syd 8.12 (60) - equal with Rd 16 v Syd 9.6 (60)
2013: QF v Frem 9.18 (72) - next lowest Rd 15 v Haw 11.16 (82)

You can add tonight to their worst ever.

They should have never have won the 09 flag, Saints we're robbed.

They got lucky in 2011 as well.

Their perception of being a great side has been propagated they have great premiership pedigree when in fact they don't. I wonder if players well stop choosing Geelong as a destination club for success and only for retirement insurance?

Are they old? Yes but that's not the point.

They have one of the worst coaches who shows all his cards in the home and away season and then is easily beaten come finals.

Stephen Wells is gone... That's the end of them; Geelong are done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back