Geelong - Too old, too slow?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
You could make a case for Hawkins playing 2-3 more as well.

He comes out of contract at the end of 2022 - hard to imagine he retires given his form.

Right, but that's just called drafting. That's not a rebuild. And they won't have any picks until the 30s. Are they going to somehow add a first-rounder by trading? Good luck.

Rebuilding is when you tip out older guys and accumulate more draft picks, particularly first-rounders. It is a conscious strategy to prioritise youth, even if it means losing experience and sacrificing short-term results.

Is Geelong doing that? I can't see how. They're at least another year away from doing that seriously. They'll front up again next year expecting to play finals, probably eyeing the top 4. The list will be too experienced for them to set expectations lower than that. Imagine telling Patrick Dangerfield, who's 31-32 and still wants to win a flag, "nah we're not interested in contending anymore - time to rebuild".
Exactly. Tail will wag the dog.

Nobody has the balls to tell Dangerfield, Hawkins etc that it's time to rebuild .

Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
2020 grand final half time.

That was the absolute peak for this group.

That was the chance for Danger.

But it's gone now. Now it's the five stages of grieving - denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.

Chris Scott is at the denial/anger stage.

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
What do Geelong do with this?

All the folks saying Geelong must rebuild, what does that look like? Fine, they can move on some of those guys who are out contract at the end of 2021 but beyond that you're talking about a fire sale of players who are still contracted. That's probably not going to happen.

As a result, I think Geelong will do the basics - some older guys will finish up, they'll do some trades if guys want to leave and they'll go to the draft with whatever they've got. But fundamentally, they'll be obliged to front up again in 2022 having retained most of the mature talent that's currently on the list. And they'll probably play finals again.

It's a bit similar to WC, although Geelong have of course been better performed in the past few years. But it's similar in that they can't simply swing the pendulum to a massive rebuild. They'll emphasise youth incrementally but you can't just burn it all down while you've still got all that mature talent, most of whom are still contracted.

View attachment 1235689
Guthrie got contract till 2025…wowee boy oh boy

May 13, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
2020 grand final half time.

That was the absolute peak for this group.

That was the chance for Danger.

But it's gone now. Now it's the five stages of grieving - denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.

Chris Scott is at the denial/anger stage.

Geelong lost that game the exact same way they lost against the Dees. Run over and out pressured by a younger faster team.

Nothing has changed for 5 years - except the margin which indicates they are done now.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Geelong isn't far off it, but time and time again, they get shown up in finals, but as the group matures and develops more experience, they could go all the way.
Sorry, what? As the group "matures"?

But a few more 30+ veterans wouldn't hurt them either to give them that composure and steely resolve they seem to be lacking come the pointy end of the season.
Is this sarcasm? I can't tell.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
As a result, I think Geelong will do the basics - some older guys will finish up, they'll do some trades if guys want to leave and they'll go to the draft with whatever they've got. But fundamentally, they'll be obliged to front up again in 2022 having retained most of the mature talent that's currently on the list. And they'll probably play finals again.

It's a bit similar to WC, although Geelong have of course been better performed in the past few years. But it's similar in that they can't simply swing the pendulum to a massive rebuild. They'll emphasise youth incrementally but you can't just burn it all down while you've still got all that mature talent, most of whom are still contracted.

View attachment 1235689

We should. We're still going to get 7-8 games at Geelong against mostly moderate teams. Whether we win 14-15 games or 10-11 will basically vary on how much the bottom falls out of the playing group, and particularly how many of those veterans are still regularly selected.

For me, 4 of the 5 out of contract are automatic cuts - Higgins, Rohan, Henderson, and Jenkins. Stanley has to say, he's not only our best but our only ruckman (there are also a whopping 8 players in that list older than him). That's straightforward. The problem is Dahlhaus, Selwood, and Tuohy all having another year which is really touch and go. Dangerfield until 2024 is looking exceedingly optimistic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
We should. We're still going to get 7-8 games at Geelong against mostly moderate teams. Whether we win 14-15 games or 10-11 will basically vary on how much the bottom falls out of the playing group, and particularly how many of those veterans are still regularly selected.

For me, 4 of the 5 out of contract are automatic cuts - Higgins, Rohan, Henderson, and Jenkins. Stanley has to say, he's not only our best but our only ruckman (there are also a whopping 8 players in that list older than him). That's straightforward. The problem is Dahlhaus, Selwood, and Tuohy all having another year which is really touch and go. Dangerfield until 2024 is looking exceedingly optimistic.
So that's nothing like a rebuild for at least another 12 months.

People say Geelong need to rebuild but I don't see how it starts this off-season unless something unexpected happens. Or a few of those older guys who are still contracted get shipped out.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
As soon as it's big boy time and the preassure mounts they can't deal with it. When there is not as much preassure like in the H&A, they can deal with it. Their brand is just putrid in finals and it needs a change as does their recruiting strategy of downhill skiers.

We have too many soft players.
When I say soft, I am talking about those types who are always looking for the easy option first and foremost.

This is like Brisbane. When push comes to shove, only 2 or 3 blokes are willing to take onus upon themselves and really scrap in hard for the footy when the chips are on the line.
They don't care if the spotlight is intense, they just revert back to their natural instincts.
Then you have those others who are looking around at their teammates with a look in their eye, "please don't give the ball to me".

You could make a case for Hawkins playing 2-3 more as well.

He comes out of contract at the end of 2022 - hard to imagine he retires given his form.

Right, but that's just called drafting. That's not a rebuild. And they won't have any picks until the 30s. Are they going to somehow add a first-rounder by trading? Good luck.

Rebuilding is when you tip out older guys and accumulate more draft picks, particularly first-rounders. It is a conscious strategy to prioritise youth, even if it means losing experience and sacrificing short-term results.

Is Geelong doing that? I can't see how. They're at least another year away from doing that seriously. They'll front up again next year expecting to play finals, probably eyeing the top 4. The list will be too experienced for them to set expectations lower than that. Imagine telling Patrick Dangerfield, who's 31-32 and still wants to win a flag, "nah we're not interested in contending anymore - time to rebuild".
gold coast might be the charity for geelong - trade first rounders for experience?

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I doubt that because Geelong cares about making the 8 and posting a profit.. they don’t seem to be too fussed on winning premierships

Love to see Chris mission accomplished Scott sacked though

Yes the collective depression across the entire club and supporter base at the moment suggests we aren’t worried at all about not winning

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
Yes the collective depression across the entire club and supporter base at the moment suggests we aren’t worried at all about not winning
That would be 80% of fans as nobody at the club cares except the players

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
If you genuinely believe that you’re an idiot.
They have previously said Geelong cannot afford to miss finals for a couple years or else they face the financial ramifications of the late 90s all over again. I can’t remember if it was Cook or Carter but it was said.

If you’re going to get personal with insults for no reason then let me remind you that in a football sense, their opinion > my opinion > your opinion

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
They have previously said Geelong cannot afford to miss finals for a couple years or else they face the financial ramifications of the late 90s all over again. I can’t remember if it was Cook or Carter but it was said.

If you’re going to get personal with insults for no reason then let me remind you that in a football sense, their opinion > my opinion > your opinion

That’s not personal it’s fact. To think that they aren’t aiming at winning when they actually tried to further stack a team who finished second last year is lunacy.

of course they want to make the finals every year. So do Sydney. They have to to stay relevant in a non AFL city. It doesn’t mean they’re satisfied with it

I don’t know many businesses, clubs, or organisations who are satisfied and content with breaking even

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond

Tigers had similar issues 7 years ago(?), the famous ‘memberships, stability’ statement was made.

all clubs have this to some degree, very rarely admitted to in public

Back