Geelong - Too old, too slow?

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
As soon as it's big boy time and the preassure mounts they can't deal with it. When there is not as much preassure like in the H&A, they can deal with it. Their brand is just putrid in finals and it needs a change as does their recruiting strategy of downhill skiers.
Yeah probably. But at least we didn't raise the white flag three weeks before finals started when we still had a chance to make them. :$

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
Yep cos you can keep losing players under 25yo and keep replacing them with 30yos forever.
Its technically possible.

Those super young and quick sides Port and Western Bulldogs lost their last game of the season by 12 and 9 less points than we did respectively. Both were flogged. Brisbane straight sets again.

If Geelong are too old and too slow, and our recruiting strategy wont win a premieship - what does it say about those three teams and the talent they have on their lists?

The reality is that it has been a tough two years and losing six weeks of preseason hurts anybody. Not a single team that made last years finals raised more than a whimper this year.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Its technically possible.

Those super young and quick sides Port and Western Bulldogs lost their last game of the season by 12 and 9 less points than we did respectively. Both were flogged. Brisbane straight sets again.

If Geelong are too old and too slow, and our recruiting strategy wont win a premieship - what does it say about those three teams and the talent they have on their lists?

The reality is that it has been a tough two years and losing six weeks of preseason hurts anybody. Not a single team that made last years finals raised more than a whimper this year.
You had your window in 19-20. To think that you’ll be able to have a genuine crack next year is hopeful at best. You just can’t keep rolling with the same formula for finals. I was shocked we won by 14 goals against you.

Apr 28, 2021
Paddy's Pub
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
All Blacks
You had your window in 19-20. To think that you’ll be able to have a genuine crack next year is hopeful at best. You just can’t keep rolling with the same formula for finals. I was shocked we won by 14 goals against you.

We'll probably reach finals again next year and some older-well known cats will retire after.

2022 has to be the start of rebuilding not only the entire team but coaching staff as well.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Were they sacked or did they resign?

More than likely as opposed to the hyperbolic response you got previously, it was one prelim loss too many and with a soon to be changing demographic of our playing list and the fact that Scott is contracted for at least another year, they simply decided to try something new starting with the line coaches

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Were they sacked or did they resign?

Not sure.
Some are saying there was an altercation which took place but it could be more to do with the fact our game style was mundane and incredibly one dimensional. Lacking creativity and that rests on the coaches and those who pick the players every week.

The over reliance on older players to get the job done has crippled our list for the immediate future. We have young players asking for trades and while Chris Scott remains at the helm, he will ask for more 'ready-made players' so we can go for it one last time in 2022.

More than likely as opposed to the hyperbolic response you got previously, it was one prelim loss too many and with a soon to be changing demographic of our playing list and the fact that Scott is contracted for at least another year, they simply decided to try something new starting with the line coaches

One preliminary final loss too many along with one qualifying final loss too many. The fact Chris Scott is a 40% finals winning coach is all you need to know. Hit the jackpot with an all time great list in his first year as coach. Since then . . . the bloke has shown us all he cannot do anything without elite top end talent snagging him the W's. Exposed to be fraud he is as a coach when it's time to play the big boys.

Unless of course 2022 is drastically cut short helping the old timers run out games till the 16th minute of the final quarter.

Cotchins Hair Piece

Bouffant Flat Top
Mar 6, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
The answer to the title is yes. And Chris Scott signing on for three more years is an absolute delight.

Cyber_punk

Doomer
Feb 16, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The answer to the title is yes. And Chris Scott signing on for three more years is an absolute delight.

Definitely a strange decision. How many coaches have had a 2 year extension straight after a 90pt PF loss?

No major changes and they still think their 33/4+ yo players can jag them a flag.

tumblr_nlfb27Knsv1tqv9ono2_500.gif

Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
How many times have Geelong been written off the last 14 years.

2010 - Everyone said they were too old and slow after they got smashed in prelim. Won a flag the next year.

2015 - Missed finals for the first time in years, came back and finished 2nd in 2016. Albeit they recruited big names in Dangerfield.

2018 - Well beaten in the elim final. Not given much chance of being a contender the next year. Strategically picked up a couple of small forwards to add some pace and pressure to a slow forward line enabling them to finish first the following year.

They still have good players and are great at strategically identifying need based talent. They have shown time and time again they can bounce back quickly.

Wouldn’t be surprised at all if they contended again next year.

May 2, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle

2010 - Everyone said they were too old and slow after they got smashed in prelim. Won a flag the next year.

2015 - Missed finals for the first time in years, came back and finished 2nd in 2016. Albeit they recruited big names in Dangerfield.

2018 - Well beaten in the elim final. Not given much chance of being a contender the next year. Strategically picked up a couple of small forwards to add some pace and pressure to a slow forward line enabling them to finish first the following year.

They still have good players and are great at strategically identifying need based talent. They have shown time and time again they can bounce back quickly.

But 'contend' is all they appear to be capable of. All those prelims and they only made the Covid cup GF last year, where they were easily put away in the second half.

Not sure certain players of theirs have the edge to play well in finals either, Dangerfield and Rohan 2 obvious ones who come to mind.

Of course, this could all change with a fresh bunch of assistants with new ideas. Mystifying that they'd choose to extend Scott for another couple of seasons before seeing what the new guys were capable of though. Other clubs sniffing around maybe?

Sep 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
But 'contend' is all they appear to be capable of. All those prelims and they only made the Covid cup GF last year, where they were easily put away in the second half.

Not sure certain players of theirs have the edge to play well in finals either, Dangerfield and Rohan 2 obvious ones who come to mind.

Of course, this could all change with a fresh bunch of assistants with new ideas. Mystifying that they'd choose to extend Scott for another couple of seasons before seeing what the new guys were capable of though. Other clubs sniffing around maybe?
Your right they haven’t taken the next step. I am more pointing out that I would not expect a substantial drop off and that they continually put themselves in a position to win one.

I agree regarding Rohan, he isn’t up to finals footy. Danger seems to bashed up every year it gets to September, I think they need to better manage him throughout the H&A season.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

Writing them off after 2010 was pretty crazy, that generation of players certainly weren't done. Selwood, Taylor, Hawkins hitting their primes and the older guys kept that group up for a long time, plus they added the likes of Duncan and Guthrie.

Then the way they rebuilt on the run with Dangerfield, Touhy, Henderson, Dahlhaus as mature players and incredible draft picks like Stewart, Blicavs, Menegola, Tim Kelly (became Cameron) has been phenomenal too.

I guess the question is now they're looking at replacing another generation that wasn't a 3 time flag winning group but a few levels below that and there isn't Selwood, Hawkins and Taylor to hand over too. Cameron in the back end of his career, Stewart and I guess Parfitt?

They're going to have to keep nailing mature age pick ups and free agents just to stay afloat and they can't point to Selwood, Danger and Hawkins as the reasons they could jag a flag any more.

Some of their older guys who get games week after week simply aren't that good, so they won't have to find superstars, but just finding competent players isn't easy. There's a lot of sides who struggle to get a team of solid players on the ground each week.

My guess is they keep finding a way to do it for a while longer but at some stage you got to cut the cord and say unless another superstar former Geelong falcon like Dangerfield comes knocking on the door wanting a trade then what's the point trying to stay relevant but not winning it all.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

I don't think everyone was writing Geelong off after 2010. I certainly don't remember it that way. I do remember a lot of hype around Collingwood being such a young team having a good future a head of them. I suppose Ablett and bomber Thompson leaving was messy so I suppose some people wrote them off but not everyone.

Generation X

Debutant
Sep 26, 2021
AFL Club
Melbourne
Writing them off after 2010 was pretty crazy, that generation of players certainly weren't done. Selwood, Taylor, Hawkins hitting their primes and the older guys kept that group up for a long time, plus they added the likes of Duncan and Guthrie.

Then the way they rebuilt on the run with Dangerfield, Touhy, Henderson, Dahlhaus as mature players and incredible draft picks like Stewart, Blicavs, Menegola, Tim Kelly (became Cameron) has been phenomenal too.

I guess the question is now they're looking at replacing another generation that wasn't a 3 time flag winning group but a few levels below that and there isn't Selwood, Hawkins and Taylor to hand over too. Cameron in the back end of his career, Stewart and I guess Parfitt?

They're going to have to keep nailing mature age pick ups and free agents just to stay afloat and they can't point to Selwood, Danger and Hawkins as the reasons they could jag a flag any more.

Some of their older guys who get games week after week simply aren't that good, so they won't have to find superstars, but just finding competent players isn't easy. There's a lot of sides who struggle to get a team of solid players on the ground each week.

My guess is they keep finding a way to do it for a while longer but at some stage you got to cut the cord and say unless another superstar former Geelong falcon like Dangerfield comes knocking on the door wanting a trade then what's the point trying to stay relevant but not winning it all.

Still too much talent for a sharp drop off plus their great home ground advantage means they'll probably still play finals in 22. I think it will be a slow and gradual drop off and then spend years in no mans land like North, not good enough to challenge for a GF but too good to bottom out

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Still too much talent for a sharp drop off plus their great home ground advantage means they'll probably still play finals in 22. I think it will be a slow and gradual drop off and then spend years in no mans land like North, not good enough to challenge for a GF but too good to bottom out
It took him a long time but even Brad Scott eventually said it was time for North to do a proper rebuild and then fell on his sword. Clarko a bit the same at Hawthorn.

My guess is the Cats start to turn the list over a little bit over the next 2 years which is sending off Hawkins and Selwood and giving Danger and Cameron a fair shake at it. Then if they're no closer by the end of 2023 they'll get aggressive.

They're in the position similar (but better) to late North where they don't have many (or any) great trade assets - Stewart and Cameron might be the only players who would fetch a first round pick if available, so they can't even go through the motions of a trade out like the Hawks are currently doing. Their best model would be doing a North and just dumping all the fringe guys at once, but it's not worth doing that now.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
I think Chris Scott could persist with his veterans for another year or two. It’s when he admits defeat and then says to the board I really need three years to do a proper re-build (while pointing to his W-L record and very distant premiership)… do they give him that extension?

Back