Geelong - Too old, too slow?

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s not like we haven’t tried. Zac Smith, Fort (briefly), Blicavs, Ratugolea. Just because we haven’t found the answer doesn’t mean we stop looking
Bingo. Tried the draft, free agency and trade, and still no solution.
A point lost on Will and the old fossil.

Swing and a miss.

It's not like we were miles off though, just couldn't quite get it over the line the last couple of years. We're now looking like we're at the stage we're its Dumb and Dumber style "so you're saying there's a chance".

Bingo. Tried the draft, free agency and trade, and still no solution.
A point lost on Will and the old fossil.
Not lost on me at all. Youv'e tried and failed. Yet all we hear is Kool Aid talk about 'Wellsy' being a 'genius' and a 'ripping bloke'.

My hypothesis is a simple one:

1. Geelong cant win a flag with this list.
  2. Geelong need to re-fresh and re-configure the list
  3. The head is in the sand and the can is being kicked down the road
  4. The longer the rebuild is postponed the harder, longer and deeper the hole will be
  5. Chris Scott has become so entrenched in his siege mentality he is no longer acting in the best interests of the club
  6. Some people at the club agree with me on (1-5) but nobody at the club has the status to stand up to Chris at the moment

None of your 'points' are 'lost on me'.

I think you are all kool aid drinkers with your heads shoved into the sand.

Are you buying into the 'virus' explanation for the prelim? Asking for a friend.

It’s cooked regardless. May as well try one more time

Definitely agree with this.
I think they know the cliff is about 5-6years high now (as soon as they fall off).

Every year they assess, ask themselves... do we really want to go down that 5-6year rebuild.. or should we go one more.

Obviously the answer again this year is 1 more. Can't blame them with the cattle they still have I think you have to double down again.

Not lost on me at all. Youv'e tried and failed. Yet all we hear is Kool Aid talk about 'Wellsy' being a 'genius' and a 'ripping bloke'.

4. The longer the rebuild is postponed the harder, longer and deeper the hole will be
  5. Chris Scott has become so entrenched in his siege mentality he is no longer acting in the best interests of the club
  6. Some people at the club agree with me on (1-5) but nobody at the club has the status to stand up to Chris at the moment

Are you buying into the 'virus' explanation for the prelim? Asking for a friend.

Although I probably agree with alot of your points I wouldnt go so far as to say cats fans have their heads in the sand.

That honour probably belongs with the Hawks, who some don't see a need for a rebuild.

Geelong made a prelim... There's no point hitting the eject button until you fall off the cliff. They havent hit it yet. They're climbing higher up the mountain though so the fall will get bigger... but while there's any chance of a premiership in 2022 who the hell cares?

EDIT: I dont think their home ground advantage can be discounted either. I think it helps Geelong aging list not be exposed during the H&A season. Lesser need to run and spread on such a narrow ground. Easier to control the flow of the game on their terms and not get into a shootout.

They'll still be there about's in the H&A for 2022 and then its all flip of a coin type stuff come finals.

Can someone PLEASE explain to me why the rebuild will be longer?

Because we aren’t deliberately trying to get top 3 draft picks?

Won’t the rebuild be the same length of time regardless of when it commences?

Additionally, the notion that a 11-year coach who has achieved what he has, who was also part of one of the greatest onfield teams of all time, has demonstrated repeatedly that he is astute and has a tremendous understanding of the game, would suffer from some sort of siege mentality delusion and hold a club under the water out of nothing more than stubbornness and arrogance etc is mind-meltingly stupid.

He’s not David Koresh at Waco mate.

He’s one major part of a very large decision making team who each year sit back and carefully analyse everything they’ve done, what’s worked, what’s failed, what other clubs have done, and what needs to happen to go one better.

Last edited:

Which friend are you asking for?

Is he the same one who keeps referring to Wells as a “genius” and a “ripper bloke?”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone PLEASE explain to me why the rebuild will be longer?
Because the old blokes you keep topping up with will retire sooner rather than later and you'll be left with a shell of a team.
It takes more than one draft to rebuild.

Because the old blokes you keep topping up with will retire sooner rather than later and you'll be left with a shell of a team.
It takes more than one draft to rebuild.
If you subscribe to rebuilding.
Those at GFC, don’t.

They're hanging by a thread tbh

There is literally no way they can match it with Brisbane/Melbourne/Port and Bulldogs who are all getting better

I definitely expect St Kilda to be much better next year

The age and experience they have hit the ceiling a long time ago. Geelong will fall right off the cliff next season.

There is literally no way they can match it with Brisbane/Melbourne/Port and Bulldogs who are all getting better

The age and experience they have hit the ceiling a long time ago. Geelong will fall right off the cliff next season.
Settling into the second decade of a premiership drought now

They have to be a chance next season or two, but a deep rebuild after that puts them into the third decade of drought before being genuine contenders again.

the true cat fans I know have confided that they are basically waiting for the next generation Abletts to come of age before they genuinely contend again. If you look at their history post-war, that’s hard to argue with.

who is coming through on the Ablett front and when would they be draft age?

Settling into the second decade of a premiership drought now

They have to be a chance next season or two, but a deep rebuild after that puts them into the third decade of drought before being genuine contenders again.

the true cat fans I know have confided that they are basically waiting for the next generation Abletts to come of age before they genuinely contend again. If you look at their history post-war, that’s hard to argue with.

who is coming through on the Ablett front and when would they be draft age?

The true cats fans you know sound like w***ers.

If there’s one thing that history has shown, it’s that there is only one way to get competitive and win and that’s for one of your past champions to have a child who is also a champion. There is literally no other way to get a team assembled that can win a competition.

Doesn’t that just mean it will
Start later not take longer?
It really depends on what return it gives it's supporters. If the majority of members are content with the end result and believe with some certain things going your way you could've won the the flag. Then sure the rebuild starts from when the management concede you are no longer in the window.

But if the majority of members are unhappy and believe you weren't as close as your ladder position suggest. Then the majority of members will believe you have wasted 2 years and added that to the rebuild and extended your length away from being a serious contender.

The true cats fans you know sound like w***ers.

If there’s one thing that history has shown, it’s that there is only one way to get competitive and win and that’s for one of your past champions to have a child who is also a champion. There is literally no other way to get a team assembled that can win a competition.
I dunno, has a real messianic feel about it, always a compelling storyline

no pressure on the Ablett kids of course, lol

but seriously do Nathan et al have sons?

Bris/Melb/Port/WB aren't getting weaker, Ess, Syd, Carl, Stk all improving. Can see Gee, Freo, Ric just missing the 8 but unlike Gee and Ric, Freo will keep improving.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Picks inside the top 34:

Geelong: 4
Suns: 1
Adelaide: 2
North: 2
GWS: 2
Hawthorn: 3
Brisbane: 2
Fremantle: 3
Carlton: 1
West Coast: 3
Collingwood: 2
Richmond: 4
St Kilda: 1
Port: 1
Melbourne: 1
Bulldogs: 1
Sydney: 2
Essendon: 1

I fail to see how anything that’s happened in trade week miraculously makes our future suddenly way less positive
34?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back