Traded Geelong trade #38, #48, #55, F2, F4 to Brisbane for #25

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a delisted free agent window (3) that runs before pre-season draft. Dates below. We can pick them all up right after draft is over so the whole West Coast picking up Rich in pre-season draft won't need to play out.

Our senior players are our best chance to accommodate this request as they'll understand it's not about them. This is being done to use maximum number of picks available and get Ashcroft + Fletcher through the door, as well as help the seniors have another crack at Premiership before retirement.

Zorko and Rich are pretty close to finishing off as one club players. A Delist and re-add hopefully may not worry them that much. I'll be more nervous about delisting younger players as there's a good chance of them getting poached.

Monday 28 November at 7.10pm

2022 NAB AFL Draft Round One (Venue TBC)

Father/Son, Academy & NGA and Players Bidding opens.

Tuesday 29 November

Continental Tyres AFL Trade Period – selections only (5.45pm to 6.30pm)

2022 NAB AFL National Draft Round two until completion (7pm)

Rookie Upgrade Period opens (10pm)

AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) commences (10pm)

Rookie Upgrade Period closes (11pm)

AFL Delisted Player Free Agency Period (3) closes (11pm)

Wednesday 30 November

NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft (3pm, online)

NAB AFL Rookie Draft (3.20pm, online)

Thursday 01 December by 4.00pm

Final AFL Club List Lodgement

Yes but clubs can pick them up asDFA before the ND, if they agree.

Potentially

Means they'd be leaving the Bowes trade until after this is done I thin

Edit: they may also be using 25 in the Bowes trade and waiting for you to get a future second for Grundy and then pull the upgraded second to first manoeuvre

Gc already had 25 and traded it out and they want futures so the only way 25 is involved with bowes is if its a 3 club trade.

Realistically Geelong are probably not using picks 48 and 55, and they're probably not picks clubs other than Brisbane (and potentially Essendon) would be interested in so don't have a lot of value. The future fourth is likely to be quite late as well.

Taking that into account, 38 and a future 2nd (likely mid 30s) for 25 is not an unreasonable trade, especially if pick 25 was sort after.

I'm only surmising but maybe Brisbane and Geelong agreed on pick 25 for the two future picks. Geelong having excess picks in this year's draft just offloaded them with the deal.

I'm only surmising but maybe Brisbane and Geelong agreed on pick 25 for the two future picks. Geelong having excess picks in this year's draft just offloaded them with the deal.
Why would Geelong do this? They are directly competing with Brisbane (and all other clubs)

Would make more sense for Geelong just to pass in the draft then help you out

Why would Geelong do this? They are directly competing with Brisbane (and all other clubs)

Because club relationships go beyond a single trade period and trying to "win" that single trade period. They've built some good will with us and helped to address the points need in this year's draft. Now we'll come to their aid if there is a father son points problem for them down the track.

Because club relationships go beyond a single trade period and trying to "win" that single trade period. They've built some good will with us and helped to address the points need in this year's draft. Now we'll come to their aid if there is a father son points problem for them down the track.
That would maybe make only the slightest of sense if one of the two teams wasn’t realistically competing for the flag next year

If Brisbane use these gifts from Geelong and beat them for the flag next year I’m betting the hypothetical promise to come to their aid some time in the future is going to ring pretty hollow

This isn’t a case of a fair deal. It just seems way too skewed (unless I’m missing something tangible)

Who knows what other clubs were offering for 25? People who follow this stuff closer than me suggest we're only taking two players at the draft with all the kids we're trading in + Atkins and Close coming off the rookie list, and with 7 coming in from the GC. Everyone seems to want to get into next years draft so Lions may've been one of the few buyers to hoover up all those late 'junk' picks that we couldn't use anyway to help us get Henry. One man's trash is another's treasure and all that.

That would maybe make only the slightest of sense if one of the two teams wasn’t realistically competing for the flag next year

If Brisbane use these gifts from Geelong and beat them for the flag next year I’m betting the hypothetical promise to come to their aid some time in the future is going to ring pretty hollow

This isn’t a case of a fair deal. It just seems way too skewed (unless I’m missing something tangible)
Another reason could be that multiple clubs were offering some sort of picks/points deal to Brisbane, and we needed to pay overs to make our deal the most attractive.

It's a pick 25 for F2 and F4 deal.

Brisbane just asked for all the remaining later picks that Geelong were not going to use in 2022 and Geelong did the sensible thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Realistically Geelong are probably not using picks 48 and 55, and they're probably not picks clubs other than Brisbane (and potentially Essendon) would be interested in so don't have a lot of value. The future fourth is likely to be quite late as well.

Taking that into account, 38 and a future 2nd (likely mid 30s) for 25 is not an unreasonable trade, especially if pick 25 was sort after.

This guy gets it. Provided we finish Top 4, that pick ends up around 32-36ish. 38 (which will be 40 after Ashcroft and Fletcher) = 40. So say 40 and 32 for 25 as an example.

48, 55, 74 and our Future 4th (70 on the basis of finishing Top 4 next year) are all throw away picks and were never getting used - as we were only ever taking 2 picks in this draft due to list constraints.

Who knows what other clubs were offering for 25? People who follow this stuff closer than me suggest we're only taking two players at the draft with all the kids we're trading in + Atkins and Close coming off the rookie list, and with 7 coming in from the GC. Everyone seems to want to get into next years draft so Lions may've been one of the few buyers to hoover up all those late 'junk' picks that we couldn't use anyway to help us get Henry. One man's trash is another's treasure and all that.

Another reason could be that multiple clubs were offering some sort of picks/points deal to Brisbane, and we needed to pay overs to make our deal the most attractive.
Look if the Pies take 25 for Henry (or it’s a key piece to the deal) then it makes sense. Could have been a buyers market for 25

If Geelong end up taking 25 to the draft then it’s one of the worst trades I’ve ever seen

Look if the Pies take 25 for Henry (or it’s a key piece to the deal) then it makes sense. Could have been a buyers market for 25

If Geelong end up taking 25 to the draft then it’s one of the worst trades I’ve ever seen

See previous post about this a few posts back

It's a pick 25 for F2 and F4 deal.

Brisbane just asked for all the remaining later picks that Geelong were not going to use in 2022 and Geelong did the sensible thing.
There are two ways to improve your position each year; you get better and your opponents get worse

Paying fair value to maintain your standing as a club and gets deals done makes perfect sense. Just giving away picks for free to help another team out of a jam seems counter productive

Other option I can see is if GC need 25 for the Rankine deal, and the AFL stepped in and said "Hey, you guys are already getting a sweet deal, help a brother out.....".

So we trade 25 for Bowes and 7, maybe with GC's F3 coming back or something like that.

There are two ways to improve your position each year; you get better and your opponents get worse

Paying fair value to maintain your standing as a club and gets deals done makes perfect sense. Just giving away picks for free to help another team out of a jam seems counter productive

Just copy/pasting my response from earlier:

Provided we finish Top 4, that pick ends up around 32-36ish. 38 (which will be 40 after Ashcroft and Fletcher) = 40. So say 40 and 32 for 25 as an example.

48, 55, 74 and our Future 4th (70 on the basis of finishing Top 4 next year) are all throw away picks and were never getting used - as we were only ever taking 2 picks in this draft due to list constraints.

Just copy/pasting my response from earlier:

Provided we finish Top 4, that pick ends up around 32-36ish. 38 (which will be 40 after Ashcroft and Fletcher) = 40. So say 40 and 32 for 25 as an example.

I totally understand that you weren’t going to use those picks. Doesn’t mean you should just give them away though

Like I said earlier makes more sense to pass on those picks on draft night and watch Brisbane struggle to get what they need done

Geelong "We'll give you 36 + a future 2nd for pick 25"
Brisbane: "We need more, sorry"
Geelong: "How about we sweeten it with a future 4th"
Brisbane: "We need a bit more, what are you doing with your late picks this year?"
Geelong: "We're just using them on rookie upgrades"
Brisbane: "Thow them in and we have a deal"
Geelong: "Deal"

I figure Geelong will make any win/win trade no matter how big the W is on the other side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back