Traded Geelong trade #38, #48, #55, F2, F4 to Brisbane for #25

Remove this Banner Ad

Look if the Pies take 25 for Henry (or it’s a key piece to the deal) then it makes sense. Could have been a buyers market for 25

If Geelong end up taking 25 to the draft then it’s one of the worst trades I’ve ever seen

We wont take 25 to the draft its for henry. We are only taking 2 picks max at the draft.

There are two ways to improve your position each year; you get better and your opponents get worse

Paying fair value to maintain your standing as a club and gets deals done makes perfect sense. Just giving away picks for free to help another team out of a jam seems counter productive
You’re looking at this from a very zero-sum perspective. Coaches probably think that way; I doubt list managers have the luxury, as their ability to get deals done is based on relationships and persuasion. If every list manager thought as you did, very few deals would get done cos any mutually beneficial deals are “helping the enemy” and thus verboten.

The art of sustainable negotiation in these kinds of deals is persuading the other club that if they give you what you want, they can also benefit as well. If you think of this deal in two parts, it makes more sense:

1) 38 + F2nd + F4th = 25 (fair deal on points)
2) 48 + 55 = cherry on top for Bris, locks out the rest of the comp on lucrative points deal, & (potentially) unlocks the Henry trade by locking away our F1st

We continue to make out like bandits, Bris get enough points for Ashcroft/Fletcher, and Collingwood get a worse pick for Henry (and who doesn’t like that outcome? 😃).

1. Future 1st + 25 to Collingwood
  2. Future 2nd (Collingwood need to acquire) to Gold Coast
  3. Pick 7, Bowes and Henry to Geelong
Is anyone unhappy with that trade?
The AFL, who will block it on the basis that Geelong can't trade their future 1st without adding a 2nd and a 4th from that draft

I totally understand that you weren’t going to use those picks. Doesn’t mean you should just give them away though

Like I said earlier makes more sense to pass on those picks on draft night and watch Brisbane struggle to get what they need done
Draft period is time constrained. If you aren't using them then just move on.

We are using a F3 for Bowes and P7. 25 on Henry. Its good trading as its mainly a bunch of picks we will not use

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back