Traded Geelong trade #59 and #60 to Collingwood for #51

Remove this Banner Ad

With Roughead and Beams coming in, the Pies now have to cut 7 players.

The options:
  1. Kirby
  2. Smith
  3. McLarty
  4. Murray
  5. Blair
  6. Daicos
  7. Wills (to rookie)
  8. Broomhead (to rookie)
  9. Goldsack
  10. Greenwood
Actually doesn't seem that hard looking at that list.
Murray wont be delisted until the investigation is over, wish he could be though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The options:
  1. Kirby
  2. Smith
  3. McLarty
  4. Murray
  5. Blair
  6. Daicos
  7. Wills (to rookie)
  8. Broomhead (to rookie)
  9. Goldsack
  10. Greenwood
Thomas also needs to be upgraded from the rookie list, but we went into 2018 with 39 on the senior list, so his upgrade doesn't change things. Fasolo (FA) and Broomhead (delisted with a view to rookie) are our only confirmed list departures, so we need to delist 5 players.
  1. Kirby - likely to retire according to his manager
  2. Smith
  3. McLarty
  4. Murray - contracted, will the b test result be known in time?
  5. Blair
  6. Daicos - reportedly has re-signed
  7. Wills (to rookie) - contracted
  8. Goldsack - mixed reports that player/club are working on contract
  9. Greenwood
Kirby, Smith and Blair all likely to depart, so that leaves two of McLarty, Murray, Greenwood and possibly Goldsack.

Thomas also needs to be upgraded from the rookie list, but we went into 2018 with 39 on the senior list, so his upgrade doesn't change things.

I think that actually helps you. For the purposes of determining how many spots you have entering the National Draft, his spot is free. You'll use your last pick in the ND to upgrade him, and it doesn't matter if it's a junk pick at the end of the draft.

For the purposes of working out how many spots you have (and thus how many picks with points attached you have available to match bids), the AFL uses 40 as the base-line. So even if you intend to go with a senior list of 39 again, 35 is the magic number the Pies need to get their list down to before the ND to enable them to use the five picks they currently hold with points attached. And as per above, that 35 excludes Thomas.

I think that actually helps you. For the purposes of determining how many spots you have entering the National Draft, his spot is free. You'll use your last pick in the ND to upgrade him, and it doesn't matter if it's a junk pick at the end of the draft.

For the purposes of working out how many spots you have (and thus how many picks with points attached you have available to match bids), the AFL uses 40 as the base-line. So even if you intend to go with a senior list of 39 again, 35 is the magic number the Pies need to get their list down to before the ND to enable them to use the five picks they currently hold with points attached. And as per above, that 35 excludes Thomas.

I don’t think it works that way. I’m pretty sure clubs nominate rookie upgrades before the draft and they arent live picks as other clubs can’t poach them.

Last edited:

Definitely used to be the case however rookie upgrades are no longer read out on draft night. As you say perhaps an upgrade still counts towards the number of picks? It's not something I've looked up, so can't confirm oneway or the other.

I don’t think it works that way. I’m pretty sure clubs nominate rookie upgrades before the draft and they arent live picks as other clubs can’t poach them.
They are live picks. That's why Thomas won't be deemed to already be on the Pies' list at the start of the draft, so his spot will be available for the notional allocation of a draft pick. By the time he is actually elevated, the nominal pick used for him will have been pushed back towards the end of the draft, but isn't of any concern to the Pies. It doesn't make any difference when you're elevating a rookie.

Definitely used to be the case however rookie upgrades are no longer read out on draft night. As you say perhaps an upgrade still counts towards the number of picks? It's not something I've looked up, so can't confirm oneway or the other.

The names are no longer read out, but the mechanism is the same. You effectively use your last pick in the draft to upgrade any nominated rookies. And one upgraded rookie can count towards the minimum quota of three players each club is required to add on draft night. (But only one. Clubs have to select at least two new players.)

The options:
  1. Kirby
  2. Smith
  3. McLarty
  4. Murray
  5. Blair
  6. Daicos
  7. Wills (to rookie)
  8. Broomhead (to rookie)
  9. Goldsack
  10. Greenwood
It would be more like five actually as Fasolo moved off the list through free agency and we started the season with only 39 on the senior list (Thomas playing as a nominated rookie)

I reckon four of those will be:
1. Kirby - all but confirmed that he won’t be able to continue with his AFL career due to his heart issue
2. Broomhead - has been confirmed he will move to the rookie list
3. Smith
4. Blair

You can pretty much confirm it won’t be:
1. Greenwood - he has trade currency so if we were going to move him off the list it would have been in trade week
2. Goldsack - confirmed through trade week a contract had been agreed to in principle

That leaves
1. Murray
2. McLarty
3. Daicos (be surprised if it’s him)
4. Wills

To make up the fifth spot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back