Geelong trying to lure Cameron

Remove this Banner Ad

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
In Vic media today. They are trying to nab him when he becomes a free agent to replace the aging Tomahawk.

My view is the club should find out now if he is going to stay or go. If he wants to go, trade him before he becomes a free agent. He would be easily worth two first rounders. I want him to stay for sure. But if we lose him as a free agent all we would get back is 1 pick in the teens.

Teeso

All Australian
Jan 8, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
In Vic media today. They are trying to nab him when he becomes a free agent to replace the aging Tomahawk.

My view is the club should find out now if he is going to stay or go. If he wants to go, trade him before he becomes a free agent. He would be easily worth two first rounders. I want him to stay for sure. But if we lose him as a free agent all we would get back is 1 pick in the teens.
Would take something ridiculous for us to let Cameron break his contract regardless as he is only reaching his peak age as a forward. The Cats have shown they are not a team to really budge far either as shown with Tim Kelly.

For me, the Cats would need to trade a top 5 pick + top 10 pick + young player (eg Ratugolea) for Cameron + maybe a late-ish pick.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
Here we go again

I honestly don't know if Cameron will want to go. He loves his fishing and is out on the boat all the time. Loves the fact he can have a separate life to footy and be out of the spotlight

But I agree "IF" he wants to go trade him

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

GP... Id have thought a club should contemplate 2 r1's or forget the idea of trading for him.

How would the R1 picks affect GWS with Green in the draft ? You have two R1's already I believe... that would give you 4 R1 picks?
Maybe you could trade to get higher in the draft to be before Greens expected draft position?

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Would take something ridiculous for us to let Cameron break his contract regardless as he is only reaching his peak age as a forward. The Cats have shown they are not a team to really budge far either as shown with Tim Kelly.

For me, the Cats would need to trade a top 5 pick + top 10 pick + young player (eg Ratugolea) for Cameron + maybe a late-ish pick.

The Kelly situation would be simialr in a way to Cameron. He is contracted and GWS have a controlling say in whether a trade happens

If the demand was P5 and P10 and SavRat and a late pick .. I think you can safely say no trade will happen with us. We have not had a single figure R1 draft pick in 13 years , and I doubt we would be able to trade for one.

Cmarsh

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2012
NSW
AFL Club
GWS
Here we go again

I honestly don't know if Cameron will want to go. He loves his fishing and is out on the boat all the time. Loves the fact he can have a separate life to footy and be out of the spotlight

But I agree "IF" he wants to go trade him

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Well he would very much be in the spotlight if he plays for Geelong.

JC100

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
He will have a new contract signed before the start of next season.

All Vic clubs would be failing their members if they didn’t try to sign him.

As with Kelly, the players want to be at the giants so what other clubs/vic media want doesn’t really matter

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS

Confident he will re-sign before the year is out and even if he said he was not staying past 2020 you still don't trade a guy that is a key part to the club winning flags as winning flags is what its all about. Its not about having extra first round picks.

AbrahamS

Team Captain
May 2, 2019
AFL Club
GWS
Live in Sydney in relative anonymity or live in Geelong and be a massive fish in a meth soaked pond. Tough choice.

Pulling the piss slightly but Scott did make light of it when interviewed on SEN yesterday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Don’t think it’s a possibility to be honest. If Geelong try to trade for him this year, what currency do they have?
Cameron is at least 2 top 10 draft picks. The only player that could leave down there with any sort of currency is Tim Kelly, who would be only a late first round. Losing Cameron for next year would be a huge disadvantage, as it would mean that you would really be relying on Himmleberg and Patton to carry your attack.

You guys would be better to keep Cameron for next year. If he decides to go so be it, but imo you a better team with him in it then with out.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
So this was supposedly in the VFL papers.
a8e4dfa16d966964f5c10870ca5b14ac.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

LOL.

That's not even news - that's Matthew Lloyd, former Essendon player and now media "pundit", saying Hawthorn should get Cameron. There is literally zero in that article linking Hawthorn and Cameron.

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
If things play out the way there looking with Jezza becoming the best key forward in the game and goes on to kick 80-100 goals this year and wins the coleman medal with Buddy on the decline. Then Jezza will be the face of footy in the Sydney market as the Sydney football market loves a key forward. Also throw in the Marketing money and AFL ambassador money then no club will be able to match what we could offer all up. So given other clubs won't be able to compete with us financially can't see why he would even consider moving.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
The thing is Geelong will have a relatively short premiership window. Not sure they are a destination club for the likes of Cameron.

They have some handy youngsters and will always be good developing some through but the core quality of their list is getting on.

Dangerfield at the back end, Selwood, Hawkins, not to mention Ablett. They may win this year and possibly next but they could really drop away and be uncompetitive shortly like Hawthorn. the new fools gold!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back