Preview Geelong v Brisbane Fri 26 March 2021 750 pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excited to see Evans play and also great that Constable gets another game.
The big boys are a worry, the lions have some good talk forwards. I’m worried how our defenders will go this week. I’m also concerned about hawkins being double teamed.

Need Hawkins to lead rather than trying to wrestle everyone, as is often his want

I think Kolo gets something of a reprieve because Jenkins is out, Fort is been given another run in the VFL (hopping he's not done a new injury), Ratugolea is unavailable and minimal other options for a second ruck, so Blicavs gets shifted from defence back into last years role
This board is funny. Kolo isn’t getting a reprieve. He will play all year

Not everyone is as excited by him as you.

The truth of it probably lays somewhere inbetween.
This board does melt a bit too much though, and generally out of touch with the MC.
Saw micksy saying half a dozen more should be dropped. And replaced by who exactly?

This board does melt a bit too much though, and generally out of touch with the MC.
Saw micksy saying half a dozen more should be dropped. And replaced by who exactly?

Our 'known' depth isn't that good right now, and it just isn't the way of CS and the current MC to explore the quality of our kids on the big stage in a hurry.

It can also be argued that our MC aren't always in touch either......

I'm not an avid fan of Kolo's and am inclined to think he's being protected a bit by injuries and the MC's reluctance to pursue our youth. That said, he might be a bit better than I give him credit for, but I'm going to take some convincing.

Our 'known' depth isn't that good right now, and it just isn't the way of CS and the current MC to explore the quality of our kids on the big stage in a hurry.

I'm not an avid fan of Kolo's and am inclined to think he's being protected a bit by injuries and the MC's reluctance to pursue our youth. That said, he might be a bit better than I give him credit for, but I'm going to take some convincing.
If our youth was hot s**t they’d be in. Evans has stood out so is in. Holmes already an emergency.

Your Narkle, Constable, Zuthrie, Kreuger etc would be in more often if they had it. That they’re only in the mix with injuries/suspensions says it all.

Looks Blitz will play his role like he did last year...2nd Ruck around midfield... not key back :(
Just wish we has 2 Blitz, 1 that can play Key Defender and the other as the 2nd Ruck
The Ben Graham dilemma back then- one for FB, one for CHF.

If our youth was hot sh*t they’d be in. Evans has stood out so is in. Holmes already an emergency.

Your Narkle, Constable, Zuthrie, Kreuger etc would be in more often if they had it. That they’re only in the mix with injuries/suspensions says it all.

I'm not proposing they're 'hot', but the MC is known to stick stubbornly by a senior who isn't performing rather than rolling the dice and finding out what a kid has to offer.

CS can be just as stubborn in repeating the same over and over too.

That is bizarre.
You might not agree with their choices, but they have way more real knowledge than all of BF combined when it comes to OUR players.

Not a fan of the selection on the initial read to be honest.
Back to slow ball movement out of defence when Blitz rucks with Henry,Kolo and Henderson. Relies heavily on Atkins,Bews and the mids to push back to give us some pace and exit speed.
Happy with Evans and Constable but would have preferred Narkle as an added mid and dropped Dahl.
Having said that if we bring maximum effort we should get the W at home.
We need a substantial re-jig when we play on the bigger grounds - like the Hawks at the G next week.
It was interesting what Guthrie said about the game. He commented that some of his teammates were naturally cautious with the ball, and they needed to be more free flowing, throw the first punch so to speak.

A guy who could roost the ball past the centre square, but usually resorted to dinky little kicks from defense. I used to hate it.
Hard to please. Graham was a very good FB.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone else peruse the other club's review thread?

Was just browsing then and fun fact: Grant Birchall is playing his first game at KP (confirmed by AFL Tables).

Crazy that he's even played in Cairns, but not the ground an hour or so down the road from his place.

EDIT: Funnily enough, the Lions thread sounds like a VERY similar echo to this one...

Hi, it's me, the guy whose been suggesting he should be out of the team since Saturday.

He barely touched the ball and went missing for huge chunks of the game, so you're right, he didnt do anything wrong, because he didnt do anything. Which is typical for O'Connor when the pressure is on in a game. I guess that's why Scott said he's a future captain of the club in the making.
is the number of possessions important for a defender?
I suppose being in the chain of passes switching to other side of field would help rack them up.

He is the only small foward in the team who knows where the goals are. That’s what he has.
I understand they are utilizing his running capacity to fill space, but it would do his confidence a world of good to stay forward of center and compete in the area where he's always played, successfully, before. Use his legs to run defenders ragged looking for openings. IMO

Anyone else peruse the other club's review thread?

Was just browsing then and fun fact: Grant Birchall is playing his first game at KP (confirmed by AFL Tables).

Crazy that he's even played in Cairns, but not the ground an hour or so down the road from his place.

EDIT: Funnily enough, the Lions thread sounds like a VERY similar echo to this one...
Yeah, they're in a similar spot to us. Healthier list but at a ground that will not suit their forward line.

Well why does Dallhouse still get a game - i dont know what he offers - very little
Who replaces him that offers more, right now? I agree he is not much, but such is our depth that there is NOBODY jumping out to replace him.
As soon as someone like a Miers stands up regularly at VFL level, he gets games.

Last edited:
This board is funny. Kolo isn’t getting a reprieve. He will play all year

kolo plays a very important role which is that lockdown of dangerous medium forwards the opposition have. Stewart is obviously not going to have this role as they want him setting up play and would be stupid to take that away. Jack Henry is the only other viable option but he probably doesn’t have the one on one strength to go toe to toe with a degoey or a Martin type.

he may not be elite at it, but with some defensive help he can probably get the job done and keep good medium forwards to 1-2 goals or nullify them.

the entire defense needs to also be accountable for the sort of players he is opposed to, not just kolo doing it alone against de goey and Martin.

Not a bad team, considering availability.

Ideally Kolo out for SDK but the former is an MC ‘lock’ an perhaps too soon for the later.
Missing from last year's finals teams-
Ablett
Danger
Duncan
Menegola
Simpson
Taylor

Add Cameron.
Add Ratugolea

We have added-
Evans
Higgins
Smith

Correct that we are scratching for talent.

I struggle to see us rebound this week, like we are accustomed to with previous Geelong teams. The depth does not exist.
HGA may be worth a bit, abd Brisbane were also disappointing last week, but their MF and hunger will be a massive test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back