Preview Geelong v Brisbane Fri 26 March 2021 750 pm @ GMHBA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO these new rules affect our game style the most. The slow covid game certainly helped us, as does our home ground, but this man mark rule encourages inside kicking and fast play. We’ve been embarrassed by speed over the years and this years comp, will be ‘speed wins‘. Especially early in the year. If our backline can’t take advantage of this rule and just want to play slow and down the line, then we have no chance. I thought the pre-season was a chance to trial this, but no, CS just wanted to play slow and down the line..aghh. While most teams are recruiting youth/ speed, we’re trading for players at the end of their footy life. I hope I’m wrong but I feel like strategies are completely wrong.

Not at all confident about this, hopefully Brisbane still have their issues from the Sydney match but between Scotts inability to change the gameplan after it was showing massive holes in preseason with the new rules, into being 7 goals down at HT to the wooden spooners, the only thing I think saves us is the small ground + Brisbane travel and form issues.

But this screams the type of game where Daniher or Hipwood get off the chain, and Kolo stays on them the whole match and has 5 kicked on him again.

If they haven't tweaked the game plan then we have to hope inaccurate Brisbane show up or we are getting hosed.

Annoyed that Dahlhaus and Rohan kept their spots, offered effectively nothing last week and would rather Evans have come in for Dahl, Freddie/SDK in for Rohan and Narkle or Close in for Zuthrie. And then have Henry in for Jenkins.

We will know in the first 10 minutes if they learned anything from last week or not, because while Brisbane lost they were going a million miles an hour V Sydney and if we take as long as we did to wake up V Adelaide the game will be dusted by HT against them too.

And at 0-2 some serious questions have to be asked of Scott.

Just after being drafted:

View attachment 1086036

Just before debut:

View attachment 1086038

The gym may have done sweet **** all for Mackie over the years but not bad gains for young Evans

He's done well there. Usually you can ignore the biceps due to the fake "hand pump" most guys give but he's clearly built up the delts, forearms look lean and far bigger than before, looks to have added some good upper body bulk (chest and back) and has done it while also losing a little bit of fat too (not that it was an issue).
Shows some real intent and work rate off field.

That is bizarre.
You might not agree with their choices, but they have way more real knowledge than all of BF combined when it comes to OUR players.
Ultimately it comes down to performance and I'm not sure every single Geelong supporter is as visually challenged as those who select the side.

Missing from last year's finals teams-
Ablett
Danger
Duncan
Menegola
Simpson
Taylor

Add Cameron.
Add Ratugolea

We have added-
Evans
Higgins
Smith

Correct that we are scratching for talent.

I struggle to see us rebound this week, like we are accustomed to with previous Geelong teams. The depth does not exist.
HGA may be worth a bit, abd Brisbane were also disappointing last week, but their MF and hunger will be a massive test.
You’re right-
Take that six out of any team (even Richmond) and they’d struggle. Hopefully we’ll get four of the six back soon.
Think we do have a lot of promising younger players but they they’re probably a year away at earliest for covering the six.

Constable looking a fair bit bigger/more solid and less 'skinny fat' me thinks. Thought it when I saw him during pre-season/when he came on as sub against Adelaide - this pic definitely confirms it:

View attachment 1086046
Hopefully. I was one that was critical of his physical makeup. He’s arms were like pencils after multiple years and everyone knows he couldn’t run (speed or endurance). He had a big frame but wasn’t an athlete. Good luck to him tonight. Looks like he’s done the work. It would be enormous for us if he developed into that Joel Corey/Jobe Watson type....plug and play machine.

The foward line is woefully short. No danger to help plug this gap either. Menegola also doesnt provide a marking option along half foward flank either.

who is going to catch the ball? Hawk is going to need one hell of a game.
The other side of that coin I feel is the most critical. Not the marking but the out marking. Think Rich game last year during the season when Rohan (our 2nd tall) was out. We just could not stop the turnovers in the air.

we can play short when we have Danger and Rohan in the side but I really worry about tonight. Added to that Sammy is a good mark down the line. The Bears could dominate the air tonight.

You would think we are going to need 4 from Hawkins, 3 from Miers, 2 from Rohan and then 6 from the midfield group to get to 15. That seems an enormous ask to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully. I was one that was critical of his physical makeup. He’s arms were like pencils after multiple years and everyone knows he couldn’t run (speed or endurance). He had a big frame but wasn’t an athlete. Good luck to him tonight. Looks like he’s done the work. It would be enormous for us if he developed into that Joel Corey/Jobe Watson type....plug and play machine.

Don't think he'll ever have the genetics of the Adonis that was Joel Corey, haha, but I definitely could see him in the mould of a Jobe Watson or a current bull like Jack Steele, JPK, Cripps etc.

kolo plays a very important role which is that lockdown of dangerous medium forwards the opposition have. Stewart is obviously not going to have this role as they want him setting up play and would be stupid to take that away. Jack Henry is the only other viable option but he probably doesn’t have the one on one strength to go toe to toe with a degoey or a Martin type.

he may not be elite at it, but with some defensive help he can probably get the job done and keep good medium forwards to 1-2 goals or nullify them.

the entire defense needs to also be accountable for the sort of players he is opposed to, not just kolo doing it alone against de goey and Martin.
So his sole job is to lockdown (he doesn’t have to do anything else) but he is not accountable if he doesn’t. we can just blame his teammates if he doesn’t as they shouldn’t of let the ball get down there in the first place.

the Kolo cheat code. It’s impossible for kolo to have a bad game.

kolos primary opponent has been clear best on ground 2 games in a row. Let’s see if he makes it 3.

doesn’t matter though. Kolo cheat code unlocked.

The other side of that coin I feel is the most critical. Not the marking but the out marking. Think Rich game last year during the season when Rohan (our 2nd tall) was out. We just could not stop the turnovers in the air.

we can play short when we have Danger and Rohan in the side but I really worry about tonight. Added to that Sammy is a good mark down the line. The Bears could dominate the air tonight.

You would think we are going to need 4 from Hawkins, 3 from Miers, 2 from Rohan and then 6 from the midfield group to get to 15. That seems an enormous ask to me.

Something tells me they'll rotate Stanley forward with Blics in the ruck, and have Tuohy forward as well. Plenty of options running through half-forward/wing, mid etc.

Could see a hypothetical, and not too unrealistic goal spread playing out like this:

Hawk - 3.2
Rohan - 2.1
Miers - 2.1
Evans - 1.1
Stanley - 1.2
Smith - 1.1
Tuohy 1.0
Guth - 1.0
Clark - 1.0
Parf - 1.0
Dahl - 1.1
Higgins - 1.0

Final Score: 16. 9. 105

Basic example of how we could kick 100+ points/have around 25 scoring shots - with only 5 goals coming from the midfield group

Last edited:
IMHO these new rules affect our game style the most. The slow covid game certainly helped us, as does our home ground, but this man mark rule encourages inside kicking and fast play. We’ve been embarrassed by speed over the years and this years comp, will be ‘speed wins‘. Especially early in the year. If our backline can’t take advantage of this rule and just want to play slow and down the line, then we have no chance. I thought the pre-season was a chance to trial this, but no, CS just wanted to play slow and down the line..aghh. While most teams are recruiting youth/ speed, we’re trading for players at the end of their footy life. I hope I’m wrong but I feel like strategies are completely wrong.

Agree with this, hopefully we take it on a bit more. You would think with Cameron and Hawk up top we would have trained to move it in quick. Reckon the interchange cap will be reduced again next year to about 60 which in theory will open the game up even more.

Not at all confident about this, hopefully Brisbane still have their issues from the Sydney match but between Scotts inability to change the gameplan after it was showing massive holes in preseason with the new rules, into being 7 goals down at HT to the wooden spooners, the only thing I think saves us is the small ground + Brisbane travel and form issues.

But this screams the type of game where Daniher or Hipwood get off the chain, and Kolo stays on them the whole match and has 5 kicked on him again.

If they haven't tweaked the game plan then we have to hope inaccurate Brisbane show up or we are getting hosed.

Annoyed that Dahlhaus and Rohan kept their spots, offered effectively nothing last week and would rather Evans have come in for Dahl, Freddie/SDK in for Rohan and Narkle or Close in for Zuthrie. And then have Henry in for Jenkins.

We will know in the first 10 minutes if they learned anything from last week or not, because while Brisbane lost they were going a million miles an hour V Sydney and if we take as long as we did to wake up V Adelaide the game will be dusted by HT against them too.

And at 0-2 some serious questions have to be asked of Scott.

Probably a good thing that Kolodjashnij hasn't had 5 goals kicked against him in a single game

Take it to game day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back