Preview Geelong V Brisbane Thu Jun 24 720 pm @ Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going into this run of 3 games I thought if we won 1 of the 3 we would be doing well. We have won the first 2 and they have been good, tough games of footy. I would not be surprised if we are a little off this week. Short break of 6 days plus dealing with some level of quarantine again in Qld. I still live in hope though. Go CATS!!!!!

Kolo and Stewart do not play "completely different roles". This is theorising after the fact - the fact being that Stewart has the capacity both to defend (intercept marks) and launch attacks ( running speed, long kicking etc.), while Kolo does not, while being, in addition, prone to kicking turnovers - yes, yes I know all players turn it over by foot at times, but we're more likely to forgive them when they have other strings to their bow. Both Stewart and Kolo play the same role in that they would be expected by the coaches both to defend, when they have to, and and to initiate attacks, when they can.

We Kolo critics would be more accepting of his limitations had he ever been asked to take a spell in the VFL but he is seemingly untouchable.

Kolo takes a good mark but otherwise seems very limited in what he can do. (The Cats might well have picked up a Nick Hind, a Paul Seedsman, a Nic Newnam or similar - not household names - had they looked around.)
I'd say their roles are very different. Kolo usually gets given the task of minding the oppositions most dangerous tall/mid-size forward. Stewart's role is to find as much space as possible in the back half and to launch attacks from there.
Still no-one here was really comparing Kolo with Stewart in terms of ability etc I don't think. It was about how errors by certain players are "noticed" more than those by others. Everyone is prone to this. It's actually in the nature of perception itself to screen out information that our brains want to deem as meaningless. That's why stats, which don't discriminate and give us the "facts", also rarely tell us anything interesting. Whereas our perceptions are constantly finding meaning in things that interest us, even to the point of distorting the facts.

Stewart also kicks a lot of short chip kicks. Probably runs 60/40 - short/chip versus long attacking. It's our gamestyle
and again I reference the turnover per metre gained stat. If they have the same turnovers per disposal but kolo has 4 times as many turnovers per metre gained then doesn’t that tell you that Stewart’s metres gained per disposal is 4 times larger then kolo?

I don't think they have enough talent to truly contend when push comes to shove. I said the same last year ... They had everything in their favour and still couldn't come through with the goods.

Their midfield is one dimensional and their backline is ordinary.

They'll be found out again come finals.

I tend to agree re Brisbane. There is no lack of elite talent, and they have an exceptional coach but there is a sense of hubris about them and schoolboy bully tactics, which is bravado masquerading as genuine hardness. And Daniher joining them has only exacerbated that problem. The only player they have that I genuinely love as both a talent and seemingly as a good, no nonsense AFL footballer is Andrews. Get him in the hoops!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why does every thread turn into a s**t fight about players that play different roles

E.g Narkle and Dahl last week Kolo and Stewart this week

s**t is getting tiresome and before i get called a MC lover who thinks they can do now wrong i hate that they keep giving certain players a go and not others so no.

Would be nice to have 1 Preview or review thread that doesn't fall into a s**t fight about players.

Just watched Scott's presser: "Gryan is best 22", he said near the end.

Once again some players are encouraged while others are discouraged by pre-emptive observations from the senior coach.

With Close's emergence, it is no longer self-evident that Mieirs is best 22: he will need to prove it through his own form. Certainly right now he will need to displace someone other than Close.

Stewart had an awesome game on Friday, but he did make some crucial errors too. The most glaring was when he turned the ball over through the middle in the 1st and then made little effort to chase back. The worst was in the final quarter when he was caught ball watching, zoned off his man McLean who ended up goalling for them to reclaim the lead late. Have a look at the behind the goal footage at 3.53 remaining in the 4th. Don't want to take the shine off a great performance, but seems relevant if we're to hold him to the same standards as others in his defensive work.

No doubt he had a couple of howlers. He also solely was responsible for saving about 8 goals. I reckon we can forgive him.

Once again some players are encouraged while others are discouraged by pre-emptive observations from the senior coach.

With Close's emergence, it is no longer self-evident that Mieirs is best 22: he will need to prove it through his own form. Certainly right now he will need to displace someone other than Close.
Yep terrible bias from the coach. It just shows he won’t have to earn a place back with good form in the vfl like others. When they think he is ready fitness wise regardless of form he will be brought back in.

Again, you are doing precisely what I’m talking about. Acknowledging the mistakes in one breath but then immediately suggesting they be treated different based on whether a player is BOG or not. That is the double standard.

A mistake is a mistake. It has consequences in its own right, regardless of what the player who committed it is capable of in other parts of the game.

We aren't ignoring his mistakes, we acknowledged he made a couple of early shockers, but to think he should be treated the same as another player who makes a far greater number and rarely hits the highs of Stewart at any time is completely non-sensical. By definition the more often you are involved in the game as Stewart is, the more likely you are to eventually make an error. It's really not that hard.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He spoke the truth. Miers is a gun and we've missed him.
He didn't say that it would be at the expense of Close.
Miers is not going to vegetate in the bankers while there is
a question mark over Higgins, and to some extent Dahl.
And injuries, be they may. Give credit where it is due.

We aren't ignoring his mistakes, we acknowledged he made a couple of early shockers, but to think he should be treated the same as another player who makes a far greater number and rarely hits the highs of Stewart at any time is completely non-sensical. By definition the more often you are involved in the game as Stewart is, the more likely you are to eventually make an error. It's really not that hard.
It seems it is hard! Because I’m not suggesting we treat players the same; I’m suggesting it makes sense to treat mistakes the same regardless of the player that commits them.

We are so lucky getting all these fans from other clubs come over and tell us good win guys, Such nice people
The Brions supporters earlier in the year carried on almost as much as the Footscray ones did over the weekend. If we pip them again Thursday night at the Gabba it's going to be ground zero here.

It seems it is hard! Because I’m not suggesting we treat players the same; I’m suggesting it makes sense to treat mistakes the same regardless of the player that commits them.

How do you treat a "mistake"? I've never had one come up to me and plead for forgiveness and say to me "that other mistake was a bloody shocker compared to me". ;):D On the other hand the player who commits the mistake......

How do you treat a "mistake"? I've never had one come up to me and plead for forgiveness and say to me "that other mistake was a bloody shocker compared to me". ;):D On the other hand the player who commits the mistake......
I get it. You want to forgive the mistakes of your guy but not the guy you don’t rate. That’s my point. ;)

Yep terrible bias from the coach. It just shows he won’t have to earn a place back with good form in the vfl like others. When they think he is ready fitness wise regardless of form he will be brought back in.

What bias?

Miers is averaging a goal a game across this season - the only players averaging more are Hawkins, Cameron & Rohan, so why would it be that surprising that a small forward who kicks goals is deemed best 22?

He has also been quoted as saying we have 30 players in our best 22, and that is his challenge.

I'd say their roles are very different. Kolo usually gets given the task of minding the oppositions most dangerous tall/mid-size forward. Stewart's role is to find as much space as possible in the back half and to launch attacks from there.
Still no-one here was really comparing Kolo with Stewart in terms of ability etc I don't think. It was about how errors by certain players are "noticed" more than those by others. Everyone is prone to this. It's actually in the nature of perception itself to screen out information that our brains want to deem as meaningless. That's why stats, which don't discriminate and give us the "facts", also rarely tell us anything interesting. Whereas our perceptions are constantly finding meaning in things that interest us, even to the point of distorting the facts.
Good heavens how did you find yourself on here with such rational and defensible analysis? I think you might have hit the wrong bookmark ;) Cue smiley wink face

and again I reference the turnover per metre gained stat. If they have the same turnovers per disposal but kolo has 4 times as many turnovers per metre gained then doesn’t that tell you that Stewart’s metres gained per disposal is 4 times larger then kolo?
I kolo know where you are going but they obviously have different roles. You can't compare a forward with a backman on stats alone clearly. And yet here we are judging from over the fence and trying to discern what we can see but don't actually know about each player's actual role. It's tough and opinions count. And we are winning so in the collective thing it is working isn't it?

FWIW I am concerned about Kolo being a bit loose, but if he is so s**t why is he a regular in the team when there are other options? So I conclude (for now) there is another thing going on that most of us (me included) can't easily see.

And so I move on and breathe.

You are a good poster Seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back