Preview Geelong V Brisbane Thu Jun 24 720 pm @ Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With this post bye fixture block it seems every week we play a Top 4 team and potential GF opponent ( not saying we are a GFist just that they might be - the lid is till very on )

Its been a great run of hard games and I expect no difference here.

With no Duncan and a sore Hawkins it could be even harder.

And we will need a fit Hendo down back too.

Another tough game no doubt coming up and the Lions will still be dirty about the PF last year.

Lets hope we can carry our winning results forward as these wins will really help a Top 4 spot for us later in the season.

GO Catters

xtatik222k

Club Legend
May 24, 2008
australia
AFL Club
Geelong
This one will be tough. If there's one game it'd be reasonable to lose, it's this one. The rest of our fixture is pretty cushy besides Melbourne in the final round. If we win this one, I'd say top 4 is a lock. This will be a huge test.

BIGANT

Premiership Player
Jan 19, 2006
Glenelg
AFL Club
Geelong
If timing of the bye was after this clash it would be perfect, with the dangerous bombers to come. It's been a big 3 weeks.
The cats resiliance will be put to the test against a Brisbane team that will be wanting a fellow t4 aspirant that has had the wood on them the last 3x in big games..
The one on one battles will be match defining, all controlled by what advantage each midfield gets. Unfortunately one cat down in Duncan. Both forward lines spread the load, can Tommy continue his recent pantsing of Andrews.
Hope it's just me but i have a feeling the lions pressure of not beating us recently will explode into an off the chain win for them.

Last edited:

BotsMaster

2022 Sep Premiers
Jan 26, 2009
Cheat Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Everton, Cardinals
Last time:

aJ0S4D.gif

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
We are in this one up to our nuts.not often do we get fixtured with an advantage but this week we get the Lions on the shortest of breaks 5 days coming back from Hobart,we have no fear of playing at the GABBA it's a home away from home after the Hub last season.Duncan will be missed,Hendo should be back is that the only change?Hawkins possibly in some doubt that may see Stanley recalled rotating with Sav in the forward 50 or they could look at Jenkins,even go with Danger at FF and bring in another mid type player we do have options.Cats by a couple of goals.

Nov 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Lucky enough to have escaped Melbourne and going to this game.

Danger and Guth should be better for the run.

I'd like to see Clark come in for Duncan (Higgins due for his managed game?) and show the club he is commited, or at the very least, show Freo he's worth something good.

Gryan due for return?

Should be a tough contest and likely go down to the wire but I think we can and should win

The easy change is
Duncan out, Henderson in and O'Connor returns to the middle to ensure that Neale returns to his rightful spot in O'Connor's pocket

I also wouldn't be opposed to Ratugolea out and Stanley in

Stanley isn't exactly the best ruck going around, but struggling to see Ratugolea impacting games across 4 quarters - at times he looks lost in ruck contests, he doesn't seem to have a defined role when up forward & gets lost with the big 2.5 up there (counting Rohan as the .5 because he plays talk but isn't a conventional tall), and the times he looks most comfortable or most likely to impact is the pack mark situation on the wings

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
The easy change is
Duncan out, Henderson in and O'Connor returns to the middle to ensure that Neale returns to his rightful spot in O'Connor's pocket

I also wouldn't be opposed to Ratugolea out and Stanley in

Stanley isn't exactly the best ruck going around, but struggling to see Ratugolea impacting games across 4 quarters - at times he looks lost in ruck contests, he doesn't seem to have a defined role when up forward & gets lost with the big 2.5 up there (counting Rohan as the .5 because he plays talk but isn't a conventional tall), and the times he looks most comfortable or most likely to impact is the pack mark situation on the wings
Stanley had a great game in the vfl. He had 24 touches and 10 clearances. Could be a chance. Sav has been a bit underwhelming. At centre bounces he’s completely uncompetitive, but better around the ground.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
My only fear is the guys might be a bit flat after a real grind against the Dogs, but then again I don't think the Lions played well against Norf, so it might even out for both teams. Another test for the Cats, not only to entrench the club in the top 4 but to stretch the gap from the teams under us.

Stanley had a great game in the vfl. He had 24 touches and 10 clearances. Could be a chance. Sav has been a bit underwhelming. At centre bounces he’s completely uncompetitive, but better around the ground.

I had Kreuger as BOG at half time in the VFL, then come games end I'd say Stanley was our best player across the 4 quarters and the most deserving of senior selection from those who played

One thing we continually talk about as fans is rewarding form and the one area the MC really seem to have skipped over that this season is the ruck - Fort was showing good form prior to the enforced layoff, Stanley hasn't been that bad since he was sent been to the VFL and yet it's Ratugolea who's been continually selected for 6 consecutive matches - when we've had both the seniors & VFL guys playing the same week, not sure we can honestly say that Ratugolea was our best performed ruck across any of those weekends

And for all the complaints of not dropping under performing experienced options to instead give youth a chance, here's the opposite where the youth is getting a good run and while we see some good each game, I'm not sure that the good is getting better or good for longer each game

We talk about needing to give Neale a run in the ruck in the VFL, but surely it wouldn't hurt to drop Ratugolea to the VFL and see if he can actually carry the ruck at that level

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
We talk about needing to give Neale a run in the ruck in the VFL, but surely it wouldn't hurt to drop Ratugolea to the VFL and see if he can actually carry the ruck at that level
There might be some concern he can't then what?not really any forward spots left at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom Stewart - 100 games.

It's the start of a few milestone matches upcoming.

In: Higgins
Out: Duncan
Or out Duncan, in Clark? One of our best in the VFL. I reckon Higgins needs a rest

What about Henderson? How serious is the hip injury? We could use his height and nous given the Lion's tall timber

My only fear is the guys might be a bit flat after a real grind against the Dogs, but then again I don't think the Lions played well against Norf, so it might even out for both teams. Another test for the Cats, not only to entrench the club in the top 4 but to stretch the gap from the teams under us.
Sounds like the game in Hobart was played in atrocious conditions. The Lions' wouldn't be used to cold, horizontal rain

Or out Duncan, in Clark? One of our best in the VFL. I reckon Higgins needs a rest

What about Henderson? How serious is the hip injury? We could use his height and nous given the Lion's tall timber
I forgot Henderson. Kolo can make way.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Is Oscar a dominant enough ruck (like a Gawn) to warrant playing Stanley? Coz thats the only reason he’ll come into the side for Sav.

I had Kreuger as BOG at half time in the VFL, then come games end I'd say Stanley was our best player across the 4 quarters and the most deserving of senior selection from those who played

One thing we continually talk about as fans is rewarding form and the one area the MC really seem to have skipped over that this season is the ruck - Fort was showing good form prior to the enforced layoff, Stanley hasn't been that bad since he was sent been to the VFL and yet it's Ratugolea who's been continually selected for 6 consecutive matches - when we've had both the seniors & VFL guys playing the same week, not sure we can honestly say that Ratugolea was our best performed ruck across any of those weekends

And for all the complaints of not dropping under performing experienced options to instead give youth a chance, here's the opposite where the youth is getting a good run and while we see some good each game, I'm not sure that the good is getting better or good for longer each game

Ratugolea is our future- needs as many games consecutively as possible. He is not underperforming in the effort stakes enough to warrant getting dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back