Game Day Geelong v Brisbane Thursday Jul8 2020 @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assumed Gaz would be a late out, but he's out there on the SCG now.

View attachment 908760
great pic, I love the look of the SCG. I'd love it if they could find ways to incorporate that old school sports park look in the large stadia, as I hate the antiseptic or skyscraper aesthetic they use these days.

Typical Geelong type of Scott selection here. One change off a 5-day break against a legit top 4 side. Ablett looked hampered last week, and we know what playing him every game without respite did for him last year. Now would be the right time for a break. Could do the same for several senior players. Highly unlikely to win this anyway. Might as well use it to give experience to more than just Simpson.
It's madness. He will never learn. Watch Ablett hobble through the finals again

Typical Geelong type of Scott selection here. One change off a 5-day break against a legit top 4 side. Ablett looked hampered last week, and we know what playing him every game without respite did for him last year. Now would be the right time for a break. Could do the same for several senior players. Highly unlikely to win this anyway. Might as well use it to give experience to more than just Simpson.

Agree that it makes sense to rest Ablett this week (and we still may), but I'd hope the match committee aren't making selections on the basis that we're highly unlikely to win. I think you're overrating Brisbane tbh - they haven't proven themselves to the extent that they're anywhere near unbeatable just yet, at least not in my eyes and especially at a neutral ground. I guess if they give us a good old Rogering tonight I may reconsider that, but at this stage I think we should definitely be going in with the mindset that we can win, and pick the side accordingly.

In a shortened season and with so many teams on 12 points, a win here would be huge.

If we get within 3 goals, I'll be happy. Guthrie to lockdown Neale, Bews to lockdown Cameron and Rata to have a whole game like his second half last week. Those are the keys IMO.

If we stay in touch the majority of the game - playing actual decent footy, not that dour shutdown bs -, then that'll be a good indication that we're around the mark of thereabouts.

If they slaughter us we're cooked, and Brisbane are flag favs for mine.

P.S. One thing I forgot and others haven't mentioned, is that the SCG is actually pretty much our home ground, as it has pretty much the same dimensions. Means that our home game plan will work the same. It's why we always have such trouble with Sydney at home or away. Could be a big factor that favours us.
SCG is closer to the MCG, where we apparently don't play that well. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200709-144714_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200709-144714_Chrome.jpg
    359.7 KB · Views: 46
Agree that it makes sense to rest Ablett this week (and we still may), but I'd hope the match committee aren't making selections on the basis that we're highly unlikely to win.

In a shortened season and with so many teams on 12 points, a win here would be huge.

The frustration for me with the Ablett situation is that the blame is just as much on Gaz himself as the club if this is mismanaged again this year. He knows that he was barely going by the time that finals rolled around last year. So if he is foolish enough to keep pushing himself to the line (when the club has clearly said they are fine for him to have weeks off), he's at least as responsible for the tepid performance outcomes that could result later down the track.

Both parties need to own the bigger picture so that he has the best chance of figuring positively in any finals push we might muster for this year. And that definitely means taking some games off in this bizarrely compressed season.

For all the trash that is spouted around players being 'managed' these days, Gaz's 2020 season should be the textbook case for the proper employment of that principle. And I really hope he reads the signs from his body well and gets proactive in setting up the prospect of big games from him as the season concludes.

The frustration for me with the Ablett situation is that the blame is just as much on Gaz himself as the club if this is mismanaged again this year. He knows that he was barely going by the time that finals rolled around last year. So if he is foolish enough to keep pushing himself to the line (when the club has clearly said they are fine for him to have weeks off), he's at least as responsible for the tepid performance outcomes that could result later down the track.

Both parties need to own the bigger picture so that he has the best chance of figuring positively in any finals push we might muster for this year. And that definitely means taking some games off in this bizarrely compressed season.

For all the trash that is spouted around players being 'managed' these days, Gaz's 2020 season should be the textbook case for the proper employment of that principle. And I really hope he reads the signs from his body well and gets proactive in setting up the prospect of big games from him as the season concludes.

Yep, agreed. Ablett has to take some responsibility there.

I see it as a bit of a double edged sword scenario in that guys like Ablett, Dangerfield etc are so competitive which is a big part of what makes them the champions they are, but at the same time I think it can also cloud their judgement a bit when they have niggles or should be rested. They just want to be the best they can be each and every week, sometimes ignoring the bigger picture. Admittedly, that is just a personal opinion and based on not much of substance.

Ultimately, I think the decision should be taken out of their hands.

It may be that Ablett decides whether Ablett plays or not.
Might have been the issue last year as well.
We know that most aging champs start to overestimate their prowess and deny the onset of decline.

I see it as a bit of a double edged sword scenario in that guys like Ablett, Dangerfield etc are so competitive which is a big part of what makes them the champions they are, but at the same time I think it can also cloud their judgement a bit when they have niggles or should be rested. They just want to be the best they can be each and every week, sometimes ignoring the bigger picture. Admittedly, that is just a personal opinion and based on not much of substance.

I think that what you are suggesting here is probably true. What makes it more infuriating if 'they' collectively get it wrong this year is the clear evidence of 2019 staring them all (Gaz, included) in the face.

Let's hope they're all a year older and a year wiser.

Do you seriously think a professional football club thinks like this? Really?

If a club had a defeatist mindset like this, they wouldn't win a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you seriously think a professional football club thinks like this? Really?

If a club had a defeatist mindset like this, they wouldn't win a game.
I think they should think about managing their senior players rather than going out to win games in the H&A, to the point where all those players are burnt out come finals time, which is what they've done previously. If they're unable to get there without Ablett, Selwood, Taylor, Hawkins etc. playing every game, then they weren't good enough to make it. After the way he played last week, Ablett shouldn't be playing coming off a five-day break. Give him a rest.

One positive is that Geelong handles the SCG reasonably well. I’d give us zero chance if the game was played at the GABBA

Outside of the Nick Davis game and the 110 pt flogging ( which Geel were due - because they were mentally shot that night being up for so long ) the SCG has been a happy hunting ground for the Cats

I went to a Geel ve Syd game their years ago and ABLETT Snr had about 13 or 14 on the board with a good 10-12 minutes to go in last qtr - and at that stage Fred Fannings record looked in some doubt - but he didnt get another one for the game

You just know that had Scott done what you suggest and rested another couple you’d be front of the queue then accusing him of not taking the Lions seriously and being arrogant to rest players.

0ed6cb67b2751b01cb2ec4dd7dd87bed.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back