Review Geelong v Essendon 1996

Discussion in 'Essendon' started by Howard Moon, Nov 9, 2017.

Put it out there
  1. Howard Moon

Howard Moon Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Chelsea FC, Melbourne City FC.
    while we are in offseason memory mode one that sticks fair in my mind is this classic...

I was at the 93 shootout - lll be honest, and go against the grain, I didn't actually think I was witnessing any thing out of the ordinary! weird...maybe I was still wet behind ear.

the 01 comeback was of course, out of the ordinary, as was the Lloyd 10, Carey 14 game.. or whatever it was... and the 01 prelim, all games that have stuck with me but the 96 centenary game ranks right up as one of my favs.

There was a buzz about town this week, and night - the whole game of footy was in celebration mode - there were gala balls on the g, there were docos being shown, everyone in the game was up and about.

We played Geelong in the same spot we had 100 years earlier - came out in the traditional gear, the old hats, the mock up string jumpers... it was a lighthearted start to what would amount to be a very competitive game. You could just hear Sheedy in the rooms saying, history, this is history - we. do. not. lose this match.

We had a good team in 96 - possibly flag favorites - we won the pre season kick about and had the gold cup in our sights. (needless to say 2 1 point final loses, including the prelim after the final put paid to all this)

Mercuri was in his pure silk mode, Hird was sprightly and unencumbered by weight, we still had the core of the old guard 93 but some newer kids coming in, the Cocky, Cummings, might have even been Scott Lucas first game, Lloyd was fresh in too.

Geelong shot out of the blocks fast - they had 4 goals on the board before we even woke up!! We worked back into it as the quarter went on, Cummings kicked a couple and we briefly hit the lead before going in at qt scores level again.

Second quarter we shot out, got a couple of goal lead, Bewick hit the score board, was revving the crowd up in his 150th game, first back from a knee reco. Mercuri was everywhere, at his sublime best, a gorgeous spin thru traffic and goal in the pocket was his now signature move. We went into HT a goal up, Bewick and Cummings had 3, Hird and Mercuri where everywhere.

Geelong again gained the ascendancy in the third quarter, it was goal for goal in a free flowing attractive game of football, the beers were flowing way too fast in the top deck of the southern stand, so much so I dropped a 4 pack on my way back to my seat. Booooo sings the crowd. 3 qtr time in a ding dong affair, Bewick has 4, Cummings 4 - Geelong now lead by a kick and look like running away with it..

Enter one of those last quarters - the crowd was up, Moon was up and 3 quarters smashed, Bewick took the bull by the horns to kick 5 last quarter goals, and NINE STRIGHT in his comeback from a knee reco in his 150th game, in the same game Michael Long did his knee in a freak kicking accident.

Bewick was everywhere!, including one amazing goal in the pocket where he neglected to handball to a free Scott Cummings, whilst dodging and evading 3 defenders before snapping truly from the pocket!! A frazzled commentator Malcolm Blight didn't know what to say.."OH, THE BO-EWICK IS ON FIRE!"

we reeled off 6 goals in 8 minutes to blow the game apart, just carving through the middle of the MCG at will as the Geelong resistance dropped away.

final score

Ess 22.11.143
    Gee 17.12.114

what a game, what a night.

doug85, Max Headroom and Darealrath like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. BOMBERS 4 LIFE!!!!

BOMBERS 4 LIFE!!!! Premium Gold

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Loved Darren Bewick

edit - loved Bewicks reaction after he kicked that goal was like "COME ON GET THE **** AROUND ME" lols

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    Darealrath and Molian like this.
  3. BOMBERS 4 LIFE!!!!

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Was able to watch it on TV but i wish i was at the game

4. Howard Moon

Essendon
    Other teams:
    was a Wednesday night too

drunk on a school night.. oooooo

BOMBERS 4 LIFE!!!! likes this.
  5. BOMBERS 4 LIFE!!!!

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Shattered when Longy did his acl.

6. Pweter

Pweter Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
    I was watching it over a few beers at college with my best mate who barracks for Geelong. I don't think I've ever heard anyone curse a player so much as he did Bewick in the last quarter.

We certainly showed those upstart Pivotonians!

7. Molian

Molian All Australian

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Heritage round is a gimmicky round id like to see return.
    My main memories of this game were the jumpers and Bewick. Good times.

BOMBERS 4 LIFE!!!! likes this.
  8. un_eggs

un_eggs Premiership Player

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Longy's knee completely ruined this game for me. Just when it seemed like we might get to see Longy make something of his peak years. We were robbed of some serious talent with Long's knee troubles.

9. boncer34

boncer34 It's just the way I say things

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Melbourne Storm
    It was either 93 prelim or Grand Final and the commentary team were talking about when he would win the Brownlow.

They made a point of saying it wasn't if just a matter of when.

10. DERO

DERO MIDFIELD BULL

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Nunawading FC
    Was that the one where he was just lining up to kick the footy for goal and it went? That was horrendous and innocuous looking all at the same time.

un_eggs likes this.
  11. un_eggs

un_eggs Premiership Player

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Yes indeed. Heart sinking & gut wrenching. Should be ranked alongside Matera and McLeod in the wider footy consciousness but is instead generally considered a rung below. If he'd played during his peak years he'd be easily in the best few indigenous players in my time watching.

windyhill and DERO like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. windyhill

windyhill Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Arsenal
    Was a brilliant game of football, totally overshadowed by Mick Long doing another knee.

13. bombre-boy

bombre-boy Premium Platinum

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Tampa Bay
    Always remember the daggy fireworks before the game, but this was the Boris game for me. Man he was a good kick for goal and a shit stirrer to boot.
    Great memory Howard!

Howard Moon likes this.
  14. Orazio2Joe

Orazio2Joe Premium Gold

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Arsenal, Chicago Bears, Utah Jazz
    Let's not forget Michael Symons going for a hanger, missing it and knocking himself out on landing.

15. Howard Moon

Essendon
    Other teams:
    I did somehow forget!

windyhill likes this.
  16. Orazio2Joe

Orazio2Joe Premium Gold

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Arsenal, Chicago Bears, Utah Jazz
    In fairness, I doubt Symons remembers much either

yodellinhank likes this.
  17. Howard Moon

Essendon
    Other teams:
    seriously, what a wasted season.

when I think of years that we had the flag at our mercy and let it slip...

we were pretty good in 89 - I know the gee v haw final is in folklore but we were not far off them, destroyed Geelong only 2 weeks prior
    99 - nuff said
    01 - we were up and flying in the GF for a period of time before the injured players began to cost us

then there was 96. lose a final to Brisbane away after wanga hit the post from the goal square with a late snap - then up by 2 and a bit kicks with minutes to go against Sydney then fell over in the prelim.

no good.

18. windyhill

windyhill Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Arsenal
    99 yes, the rest no way.