Preview Geelong v Essendon - Country game @ MCG Sunday May 4 320 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Selwood, Hawkins or Duncan against the premiers in 2017 and we managed a win.

System, structures, game plan and effort win you games of football. If we play with intent and move the ball like we have been we'll win. I've been parroting on about overusing the handball for years and this year we're using the ball by foot more. In every game this year we've had substantially more kicks than handballs. Being proactive rather than reactive.

Play that way and apply constant pressure and we win. Too much is being made of Essendon's speed by foot. We have just as much, If not more, and it's not the reason they've beaten us the last couple of times we've met. Forward pressure, a lack of accountability due largely to fitness and a poor structure is what's lost us those two games. With Atkins, Rohan and Dahlhaus in that forward half and an increased fitness base, their transition game won't be as effective.
I'm with you. I don't see any speed by Essendon being an issue. In fact I think we want them to bring the speed.

The only clubs that have been able to compete have been the ones that slowed the game and used precise movement.

Our team is setup for counter attack this year.
And I'm not really seeing any quality with the disposal when Essendon move it quick.

If they have just one quarter like the last on Anzac Day where they tried to move it quick but couldn't hit the side of a barn then we will rip them open.

Cats by 47

Found this interesting. Differences between the team vs Essendon last year compared to the team who played on Sunday:

In: Atkins Constable Dahlhaus C.Guthrie Miers O'Connor Ratugolea Rohan Stanley
Out: Bews Crameri Cunico Gregson Horlin-Smith Murdoch Parsons Smith Thurlow

Safe to say the ins far outweigh the outs looking at those two lists.

Our 'Ins' make a huge difference.

Comparing Essendon's named team this week to Rd9 2018 -

IN: Andrew McGrath, Mason Redman, Michael Hurley, Aaron Francis, Joe Daniher, Dylan Shiel, Darcy Parish, Sam Draper, Ben McNiece, Josh Begley
OUT: Brendon Goddard, Dylan Clarke, James Stewart, Shaun McKernan, Jayden Laverde, Matt Dea

How do their 'Outs' compare to their 'Ins'

*asking for a friend*

No, not at all. Having not watched Essendon this Season, it would be interesting to know how the teams compare.

EDIT: "Draper, McNiece and Begley aren’t playing." Thanks JayJ20

Last edited:

Our 'Ins' make a huge difference.

Comparing Essendon's named team this week to Rd9 2018 -

IN: Andrew McGrath, Mason Redman, Michael Hurley, Aaron Francis, Joe Daniher, Dylan Shiel, Darcy Parish, Sam Draper, Ben McNiece, Josh Begley
OUT: Brendon Goddard, Dylan Clarke, James Stewart, Shaun McKernan, Jayden Laverde, Matt Dea

How do their 'Outs' compare to their 'Ins'

*asking for a friend*

No, not at all. Having not watched Essendon this Season, it would be interesting to know how the teams compare.
Draper, McNiece and Begley aren’t playing.

Ins are much better than the outs. Stronger midfield in particular.

Draper, McNiece and Begley aren’t playing.

Ins are much better than the outs. Stronger midfield in particular.
Thanks Jay, thought I'd done something wrong, but couldn't be bothered working it out lol

How do you think your 'Ins' compare to Geelong's 'Ins'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back