2nds Geelong V Frankston @ Frankston Sun 22 May 11:40 am

Remove this Banner Ad

Not ideal conditions for big men but Vardy looks a long, long, long way off it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, I think it would be a worthwhile investment by the club to give everyone in the cheer squad a bugle.

Nice 37 point win for @GeelongVFL over the Dolphins after an electric Q1. Plenty of boys putting their hand up for a run in the AFL side.

Gee we have some problems.
I know it was windy........

But they have no idea how to move the ball from defence. And to be fair once it got to the middle they appeared to know exactly what to do.

Smedts might be done. Keeps running into traffic. I'd really hoped he'd fixed that. Give him a mark and he's fine. Other than that, a liability.

Vardy is lumbering. In fact he almost looks disinterested.

We might need to look at giving luxford a game. I assume he only has a 1 year contract. And I think he might have some creative skill.

So we need to find out.

Last edited:
Of the afl players , I liked Billy's game, not always a favourite of mine, but credit where credit is due. I loved the game of Sexton(2017 Rookie?)

All over.

Really high standard game, great viewing.

The marking of both teams was from the top drawer, you'd be lucky to see that level of skill in an AFL game.

Geelong broke out to an early comfortable lead and were never really challenged, although Frankston never dropped their heads either.

I wouldn't really say that any of our AFL-listed players or rookies stood out above their VFL listed team mates, but I will give a quick appraisal of the AFL-listed/rookie players as they might come under scrutiny for selection next week.

Billie Smedts - did all that he could, clean with his disposal all day long and is moving very well. mainly played down back, but drifted into the middle (one centre clearance that I saw) and nearly took a great grab up forward.

Jordan Murdoch - solid all day, a couple of minor skill errors but nothing worth condemning him for. seemed to mainly play half-back/wing.

Josh Cowan - quiet-ish last quarter, but close to BOG for the first three quarters; got involved in the clinches and was clean with disposal by hand and foot. most importantly he cruised around all day and looked as though he wouldn't have blown out a candle.

Nathan Vardy - 7 disposals, one goal, dropped his usual amount of marks. went into the ruck in the last quarter and a bit and did ok. hopefully building, but didn't really impress.

Matthew Hayball - still so slight of frame. didn't do a lot, apart from one very classy mark against two opponents in the last quarter.

Paidrag Lucey - very solid game, three first half goals, assured around the ground. ruckwork was so-so, but a sound effort; he's been in good form this year whenever I've watched him.

James Parsons - he was ok, pretty unobtrusive but he's a neat mover and kicks it well.

Jock Cornell - not a ton of the ball, but was skillful in all that he attempted. took a nice mark, used it well when he got it, and a couple of nice tackles where he could easily have infringed but kept his cool and executed well.

Michael Luxford - solid, with two very nice goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back