Preview Geelong V Freo @ Optus Monday July 27 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were all backup ruckmen lol, with only King being any decent. If we traded in say English, Marshall, O'Brien, Darcy etc. then Stanley would be our backup. Most teams only use one recognized ruckman with a chop out for 5 minutes a quarter for the back up ruck. Completely different time now.

There's one decent ruckman taken a year, if that. There's only 6 real decent rucks in the AFL - Grundy, Gawn, Goldstein, English, Nic Nat, and Witts. Everyone else would be the same as Stanley or Fort. Jackson will be a gun, but he was a pick 3 and we were never getting him. Grundy was never coming to Geelong (or any other club for that matter), Nic Nat is perennially injured, English was pick 11, and Goldy and Witts are the wrong side of 30 and have had no success at their respective clubs. Gawn could have been possible, but he was taken in 2009, so no way we could have seen that far ahead (Bomber was also in charge then)

No-one else seems to be having much luck from the draft either.

Adelaide - O'Brien
Brisbane - Martin
Carlton - Pittonet
Essendon - Bellchambers
Freo - Darcy
Gws - Mumford/Jacobs
Hawthorn - McEvoy
Port - Lycett
Richmond - Nankervis
St Kilda - Marshall
Sydney - Sinclair

Who would you take from the above, over Stanley? Only Marshall, O'Brien and maybe Darcy, for mine.

Only decent rucks drafted in the last 5 years, and none of them taken with high draft picks. Just like Fort (albeit Fort is a mature ager)

Can't draft what we don't have access to.

the fatal line here for that arguement - Grundy at pick 18.

I know the club at the time thought they were covered - but thats the one we did have access to and missed it - for a multitude of reasons, not least of which he only wanted the Pies.

Go Catters

We bought him in as a forward,.Stroke of luck.
Spot on
the fatal line here for that arguement - Grundy at pick 18.

I know the club at the time thought they were covered - but thats the one we did have access to and missed it - for a multitude of reasons, not least of which he only wanted the Pies.

Go Catters

Agreed, but like you said, extenuating circumstances prevented us getting him.

Regardless, still the one drafting utensil up I have no issue criticizing the club for. Everything else is open to interpretation, but missing Grundy most likely cost us 1 or 2 flags - 2016 and 2019

Spot on

Agreed, but like you said, extenuating circumstances prevented us getting him.

Regardless, still the one drafting utensil up I have no issue criticizing the club for. Everything else is open to interpretation, but missing Grundy most likely cost us 1 or 2 flags - 2016 and 2019

Agreed....should have taken him over Thurlow. But the rest of our drafting and trading since then has been really good.

Kreuger, Constable, Jarvis, Evans, DeKoning, Schlensog, (yes, he's going to be a good player) Stephens, from those who haven't been getting games

One major, major difference. They were given games early, and for most of them, kept in the team. The club put up with bad games and let them all gain experience. They (apart from one season in 2000) didn't trade in broken down hacks and so-so top ups and keep them in the senior team either.

Ahh you maybe right in some ways.
Given we were a s**t side for most of 1998-2006
Well, we were a very inconsistent average side with some great games and plenty of woeful ones chucked in.
Played in 4-5 finals games in 7 odd years 2000-2006.
So in most part these blokes were in coz of our predicament... we were not very good.
After 60+ plus games (4-5 years) in them, they played some decent football as we saw in 2007 and onwards.
Trades on the other hand is a different story.
If the youngsters were good enough they would've played.
Is usually the case in 9 outta 10 times.
Plenty moved on and still did sweet FA... Dawson Simpson, Playfair, Chuckie Gardiner, Prismall, West, Gamble, GHS, Hamling, Murdoch, Kersten, Smedts, Thurlow, Lang, Walker, Gore, Gardner to mention a few of the decade.
So that argument doesn't really hold water.
For me at least.
But i give a couple of FA/trade additions raised eyebrows but others didn't. win some lose some.
U can't bat @1000 in this caper when it comes to drafts/trades/free agency.
Cheers!

Bomber says his was a teacher-mentor coaching relationship with the players.Not true?

Not from what i know... Macca was the key. Bomber was on another planet even in those days if u believe some.

You are just listing players from last years draft pool.
Only 3 of those players came via last years draft pool and I was keen on Stephens well before he was drafted.

You asked the question. What draft they came from is irrelevant.

The clue is that the coach is the one who has to work with the players and carry out an on-field strategy. If he's not communicating to the list manager the players he needs to do that, how would he be able to do that effectively? List management and coaching are not disparate entities. I'm not saying he works on individual deals, scouts players or picks the kids on draft nights; I'm saying he has to play a significant role in identifying the type of players needed in order to fulfill his on-field vision. How can that be entrusted solely to people who have little to do with what happens on the field?

Nobody ever suggested they are disparate entities. Or that Wells works 'solely' on the area of list management, without any input or involvement from others.

There is clearly an issue with how the entire team involved (including the coach) view the 'importance' of the ruck position. That has been obvious for some years.

What is not at all obvious (on the assembled evidence) is that this is 'all on Scott', as you pronounced in a previous post.

He has a say, for sure. But to suggest that he has either the biggest say or the last say simply doesn't square with what list management looks like today in the AFL.

Last edited:
Hard to exaggerate just how important this is. Win and we could be as high as 2nd (if Dees beat Lions). Lose and we will stay 9th with an almost certain loss next week to make us two game out of the eight.

F18D475C-0056-410F-AA74-F79089EEF18A.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So trying and failing to get Goldy - thats what Id call trying to get an established ruck.

Now it didnt happen so im sure that will your default reply - but your assertion they didnt try is wrong.

And whilst not q #1 ruck - Jenkins has chopped out there before for the Crows. He's hurt. Could not presume he would not be available.

I know you luv beating the GFC f’ed it all up drum most of the time -and sometimes im right there with you - but on this assertion they didnt try and improve or recruit any others you are mistaken.

GO Catters

On this point does anyone know if we tried to get Paddy Ryder. I would have preferred him much more than Jenkins and is actually capable of being a top notch number 1 ruckman like we saw today.

Agreed....should have taken him over Thurlow. But the rest of our drafting and trading since then has been really good.

Much is made of Grundy ... every club make errors and one tend to focus on them and forget the wins. My gripe is only that when they brought in Hamc (another injured ruck to add to two injured rucks) they thought that surely 1 out of three would be OK..and did not draft. They were 'Lucky' to have Blitz

But we are going back a bit ...,Grundy may have we left us for someone else by now. How serious have wee been about getting to young talented rucks.. we have talked it before. Its the philosophy... ... I think this year will be interesting to watch. They definitely went light with rucks losing two and not bringing in any... so to me they have something in mind.

Last edited:
Lol... let's just ignore the fact that all the best under 23 players are usually high draft picks, shall we?

Also ignoring the fact that we have another 3 first rounders this year, and have 3 from the past two years.

Also ignoring that our drafting since 2016, has been incredibly solid, resulting in 7 of our best 22 being from the draft - Stewart, Rata, Miers, O'Connor, Clark, Parfitt and Narkle.

Parfitt has been incredible this year, since he got over his injury and upped his fitness and tackle pressure. Absolutely will make it a mid, so no idea what you're on about there.

Fact remains we have a lot of potential talent being kept out because senior players are playing better. When all of our list is fit, our only real positional deficiency is the ruck - and even Stanley is still half decent and has some good attributes.

Enough with the sour grapes already

Brilliant post Shadow. Only 1 criticism. Put this person on mute and don't waste your intelligent words on someone so irrationally negative. Mute is the way to go I assure you. I did 6 months ago and it was the best move I ever made. I used to get sucked in to arguing and it was pointless because no matter how much validity there is to your argument some people will just never see the other side.

Brilliant post Shadow. Only 1 criticism. Put this person on mute and don't waste your intelligent words on someone so irrationally negative. Mute is the way to go I assure you. I did 6 months ago and it was the best move I ever made. I used to get sucked in to arguing and it was pointless because no matter how much validity there is to your argument some people will just never see the other side.
Best thing in post-Mod life is having about 25 time wasters on ignore. Actually makes an amazing difference.

We forget that there was a period where ruckmen were referred to as dinosaurs and 3rd man up was seemingly taking over stoppages. This was where Blicavs cut his teeth as a rucking ‘midfielder’ and it looked like we had decided that pure ruckmen were a dying breed. Who knew they were going to change the rules? Probably influenced our recruiting mentality. Add to that the fact that Wells hasn’t really had great success in the big man department that I can recall.

Henderson is playing because Blicavs will be in the ruck.
Hmmmmm. How can you read that post and conclude this to be the reply?
Was spot on imo about why Henderson came in over say Kreuger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back