Preview Geelong V Freo - Part 2 of the AFL Road Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sav wont be rested - he has had a few weeks off recently and he needs to get his bits right (those marks are starting to clunk).

Taylor looks like he needs one as does Ablett and Atkins out will only depend on other small/pressure type forwards coming in.
I think the main reason for suggesting Sav have the week off is not so much because he needs the rest, but rather concerns over how hard the playing surface at Optus is - it's had it's fair share of victims this year, and not wanting him to do any damage in the lead up to finals

Tackle_happy

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2011
Brunswick West
AFL Club
Geelong
I think the main reason for suggesting Sav have the week off is not so much because he needs the rest, but rather concerns over how hard the playing surface at Optus is - it's had it's fair share of victims this year, and not wanting him to do any damage in the lead up to finals
It's a risk that needs to be taken, he needs the game time and his legs (aside from the hamstrings) has held up well. If he doesn't play this week then that touch he needs going into finals drops away a little and needs to be made up. Now is not the time to put the likes of him in cotton wool. It is time for him to stand up and assert himself.

It's a risk that needs to be taken, he needs the game time and his legs (aside from the hamstrings) has held up well. If he doesn't play this week then that touch he needs going into finals drops away a little and needs to be made up. Now is not the time to put the likes of him in cotton wool. It is time for him to stand up and assert himself.
If he doesn't play AFL then surely he'd be a good chance to fly home and play VFL - expecting that a few of the extras will fly home later in the week (say Thursday) to prepare for VFL

If he does that he doesn't have the week of from all football, just a week away from playing on a s**t ground

Do we dare to dream that the side will improve each week from here to the finals?
No need as long as we are ready to go. No injuries would be a bonus this year. Last year we had Selwood underdone, and I'm sure there were other issues.

AM

The standard you walk past is the one you accept
Aug 18, 2006
Here there and everywhere
AFL Club
Geelong
Based on the players people say went over to WA

Out: Miers (rest), Atkins (omitted), Taylor (rest), Bews (rest)
In: Menegola, Henderson, Tuohy, Rohan

I don't think Gazza will be rested.
That number of outs would seem to be contrary to the comments by the coach about the importance of team cohesion.

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes. Was absolutely torched by Ronke. Papley also kicked his one and only goal while playing on Bews. O’Connor is our best defensive option for small forwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sure Eddie Betts would agree with you, ask him, "Well speaking objectively if I were Geelong I would not pick Bews against me or any other small forward".

He needs to find some form and that won't come with a rest. He needs to play and break through this slump.
19 touches after half time yesterday. 12 of them contested.. he's playing his role.

Aug 20, 2013
I'm sure Eddie Betts would agree with you, ask him, "Well speaking objectively if I were Geelong I would not pick Bews against me or any other small forward".

He has done well against Betts in the past, yes.

O’Connor played on the more dangerous of Sydney’s two small forwards on the weekend. He had 15 disposals himself while keeping Papley to just 4. Ronke kicked 2.4 on Bews who was only able to manage 7 disposals (and made some horrific errors). O’Connor did the job for the first 14 weeks and I will back him to keep doing it. At just 22 years old, the sky is the limit. Bews turns 26 this year and will continue to be a very limited footballer albeit one who gives his all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bulletproof

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
I’m not sure where I sit on Bews. The one big thing in his favour, is he is probably one of the few players at the club who has been ok in finals recently. So that has to count for something.

I think for team balance, he is an unnecessary insurance policy that is costing us in other areas of the ground.

I’m not certain which way they will go.

Mar 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
But CS is on record as saying last year we fell into the 8, literally. We were pretty cooked and he is relishing the top 2 situation at present so we can actually MANAGE our players' workloads. It is no coincidence either that many teams are struggling this "semester". We have worked really hard to get this privilege, and if the powers deem it to be useful, it should not do our heads in.
Clark, Miers, MOC, Atkins are all virtually playing their first years with us. MOC has been in the system a little longer, but not many games. They are all showing some signs of fatigue.
GAJ- definitely need him to be fresh, and angry if needed, not lack of discipline angry, but enough to show he should always play... if that makes sense.
Sav- well I'd be doing all possible to lessen any risk on his leg coming into August and beyond.
But we are only watching from afar, and the club knows exactly what is needed this year.

We can't afford to drop this game. Can't rest both Miers and Ablett in my opinion.

Jun 5, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
Struth that's optimistic by you.
Nice work.

I agree fwiw.
Although this is off track it is similar. I often talk to my daughter about her study. She 'could' be on track to get an atar that lets her be a doctor.

And I've said to her "you're going too hard. Back off. But one day you will need to go hard. Be ready for it".
c048ca89e0c6c29b0336639023c741f7.jpg

No Gaz, No Sav, No Stanley. Anyone with a history of lower leg injuries doesn't play. This late in the season, we can't risk it.
You actually make a good point. The surface of that stadium is garbage mixed with concrete. I'd happily see a few of the boys with a history of leg/foot issues rested for the game.

I think I'd not be alone in saying that this has been the case since about R7 (ish). He is so important to our structure it's not funny.
I'm honestly so hyped about his future. His ceiling is so very high. His athleticism, marking ability and desire for the contest is just right up there with the best of them.

tomthabuddah1

Senior List
Jun 14, 2018
UK
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Liverpool
No need for abusive name calling. Your coments on Bews come across as pronouncements rather than an opinion. It will rain tomorrow...I think.

Generally agree with the sentiment between the difference between fact / opinion. However of any footballer to be disclosed as "very limited" and "giving his all" - that is Bews to an absolute T (my opinion :).

Play it Sam

Cupcakes are muffins who believed in miracles
Jun 25, 2013
Medicoland
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Replayaholics
Apart from Mena (who flew to W.A. earlier in the weekend), you would have to think that the 22 for the Dockers game will come from the squad that flew up for the Swans match. The only other seriously possible inclusion would have been Parf. But, with the flights involved, I'm sure they won't risk him. And two of the inclusions have already been just about inked in, according to the coach.

So I'll go:

In: Mena, Rohan, Tuohy
Out: Ablett (managed), Atkins, Bews

I personally would take Smith out and put Rhys back in. That is how the story is going to end by the time we reach finals. So I don't understand why we're delaying the inevitable now. However, I'm sure they'll give Zac another week for the time being.

Perhaps Rata will be rested to give Rhys a reprieve as the CHF/second ruck this weekend. And Clark or Miers could get a rest so that Q. can get a run.

However, I think they might save a couple more of the 'managed' parentheses for the week after at home against the Roos.

Anyway, here's to a win of any description and no injuries. Because, after getting the four points any way we can this coming weekend, we really want to be then seeing the team playing close to its best footy as the finals close in.

Danger was in Moggs today, giving credence to the idea that the club gave family men (especially with new bubs) the option to detour.
Or......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back