Preview Geelong V Freo - Part 2 of the AFL Road Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Off the back of a good but incomplete win, who do we rest this week and whom comes in.

Id guess one of the MF will go out and freshen up.

Menegola back in? Atkins out? - he was decent today however.
A few quiet players got some mojo back in the 2nd half - but still a good win.

Go Catters

In: Menegola, Zac T and Rohan
Out: Ablett, Bews and Atkins

Give Clark the following week off.

Getting close to our best team then. Would only be missing Ablett and Parfitt?
That’s as close to the meat tray as one could predict but we just know they will instead manage two instead of omitting two.

That’s as close to the meat tray as one could predict but we just know they will instead manage two instead of omitting two.
Atkins, Clark and GAJ look like they need managing.
Would be nice to manage Sav also this week if reports of the WA ground are accurate.
Team probably has a great bonding experience going from Sydney to Perth and being forced to be together 24/7.

Well Scott says touhy & Rohan are in.
So....
In: touhy, Rohan, menongola
Out: Atkins, Bews, Ablett
Stanley, narkle in the frame for ins
But would like to see Smith against AFL standard ruckman.
Esava on hard deck thing a bit overrated I think. Fremantle will rest players because of hard deck?
Miers might need a rest for narkle.

Well Scott says touhy & Rohan are in.
So....
In: touhy, Rohan, menongola
Out: Atkins, Bews, Ablett
Stanley, narkle in the frame for ins
But would like to see Smith against AFL standard ruckman.
Esava on hard deck thing a bit overrated I think. Fremantle will rest players because of hard deck?
Miers might need a rest for narkle.
Bews needs game time. Walters is a gun, Bews will get him.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Bews needs game time. Walters is a gun, Bews will get him.

Walters looked pretty sore v Doggies yesterday, perhaps there's an injury cloud over him.

I believe Luke Ryan, Freo's gun interceptor (close to AA calculations this year), has already been ruled out with a hamstring injury sustained yesterday.

Thinking we'll continue with the rotation/management of players that has started in recent weeks; just a question if they look at those who could benefit from not playing on the apparent hard surface of Optus or if they had something of a schedule already in mind

Outs: Ratugolea, Taylor, Ablett, Atkins (all managed)
Ins: Stanley, Henderson, Rohan, Menegola

Let Stanley & Smith fight it out alongside each other for the #1 ruck spot, see who wants it more & steps to the task during the game

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Thinking we'll continue with the rotation/management of players that has started in recent weeks; just a question if they look at those who could benefit from not playing on the apparent hard surface of Optus or if they had something of a schedule already in mind

Let Stanley & Smith fight it out alongside each other for the #1 ruck spot, see who wants it more & steps to the task during the game
Tuohy will be in.

Tuohy will be in.

I know he most likely will be, but I'm happy for him to have a run in the VFL - not sure he's really been at his best this season where he would be an automatic selection

Yeah I don’t mind the Stanley/ Smith toe to toe idea.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong

They will rest a defender instead of dropping Bews I reckon.

I will go with Tuohy coming back in for MoC.

Kolo (forced with concussion), Henry and Tuohy have all missed a week managed. MoC appears the next one in line.

goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
Our first quarter will be another "wait and see what the opposition bring and adjust accordingly".

Freo are seriously just going at this point. If our boys wanted to get really serious, I think they could stamp their authority early, hit the scoreboard hard, and make the whole afternoon very difficult for the Shockers.

As it is, I'm basically resigned to it being an awful slog for most of the game, with nothing more than the hope of an eventual edgy win and no injuries as the bright sides on the day.

Prove me wrong, Catters...

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
I think we should play Ratugolea. Get games into him.

If the hard deck is a concern I wouldn't be risking Menegola coming back from a long term knee injury. Ablett can also watch the game with maybe Narkle (BOG in VFL last week) getting a game in front of his family members.

Rohan for Atkins.

None of the talls at the back look like they need a rest but maybe give Henderson a couple of games to sharpen him up in case we need him in finals.

Gee Class Loco

Premium Platinum
Oct 14, 2012
Sleepy Hollow
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
West Ham DEN Broncos BOS Celtics
For me...

OUT; Parsons, Ablett, Bews, Atkins.

IN; Narkle, Rohan, Tuohy, Menegola.

Question marks on The Big Savaloy & Harry... maybe being managed. With Hendo & Stanley in the wings.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
I think we should play Ratugolea. Get games into him.

I think everyone now acknowledges that Ratugolea is entrenched in our B22 and clearly our best option at KPF/second ruck.

As bulletproof said earlier, SavRat has the ability (and seemingly now, the confidence) to do a Mason Cox or a Tom Boyd in the finals and play a career best game on the big stage.

He's so important to our structure that we can't risk him getting injured before the finals, which is why some are suggesting he may be rested this week, so avoid the hard deck at Optus Stadium that has resulted in a number of foot/leg injuries to opposition players this season.

Max Milburn

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2018
Hobbiton, Tasmania
AFL Club
Geelong
Do you think they will be starting to get a bit of Griswold vibe ..

Let's hope Guthrie doesn't end up like their dog...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back