Preview Geelong V Gold Coast Sat Aug 13 2022 4:35 pm at Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s had moments where he’s been our most composed player in big games and finals. And has played some very good games as a tagger.

But there’s no room for sentimental decisions this time of year. We have a genuine chance of winning this year.
Some really tough calls will need to be made at selection.
O’Connor has had a poor season and has struggled to find an impactful position in the team.
I would be surprised if he’s in our finals team, I wouldn’t be picking him.
Zuthrie and MOC are line ball in my eyes and that's more credit to Zach than a knock on the shark two games left to fight it out Zach with his nose in front going into tomorrows game.

Not sure what your problem is with O'Connor. He's still learning the nuances of AFL football but has been a solid contributor. He's on a steep learning curve which involves a variety of roles, tagging, using his athletic ability to link up in defence and push forward. He reminds me of Blicavs who took a while to learn the game but has developed into a weapon. At this stage he is on par with several other players in the 22 who play singular roles but O'Connor has a lot more upside.
Still learning! He debuted in 2017. He seems to have just levelled out in his development.

There are going to be a few really disappointed boys but what a fantastic position to be in, the best 22 is open to debate because there are about 25 guys who you could argue deserve a game. Anyone in the 22 will be working their backsides off to stay there, not wanting to miss out. The final spot or two in the 22/23 will likely come down to getting the matchups right.

We will go into the finals with around 28 healthy players to choose from. It's such an advantage over recent years. We have players to cover any injuries should they occur. Plus the quality does not drop off the way it used to. I'm quitely confident about our chances.

pretty sure there will be some hat eating here... Wanna say i remember a few posts saying he'd never make 50 games and hats would be consumed if he did...

munch munch
GO Catters

pretty sure there will be some hat eating here... Wanna say i remember a few posts saying he'd never make 50 games and hats would be consumed if he did...

munch munch
GO Catters
I’m really hoping he gets a contract but I think a few clubs will chase him now imo

Zuthrie was famously described on here as a list clogger earlier in the season. Ha.

I tend to agree that moving forward with no injuries Smith and Duncan replace Menegola and one of Zuthrie/MOC.
If Menegola is omitted, he and the club would be smart to let him seek a trade at the end of the year. He’s a quality player in a lot of other teams but if he’s not first pick this year for us then he certainly isn’t in the next few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zuthrie was famously described on here as a list clogger earlier in the season. Ha.

To be fair, until this season he pretty much was. Credit to him, he’s improved enormously in one pre season. It’s highly unusual to see such marked improvement after having been in the system for over 5 years.

To be fair, until this season he pretty much was. Credit to him, he’s improved enormously in one pre season. It’s highly unusual to see such marked improvement after having been in the system for over 5 years.

Agreed.

He had a pretty good prelim last year. But I agree on the improvement. I thought he was a very good backup squad player, a team player, so I strongly disagreed with the list clogger description.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jezza and hawk to combine to kick over 10 goals, with hawk unselfishly giving off another 5.

Suns will have no way to stop them, they would need a Noah Anderson miracle

Atkins sub?
Come on Sarah
He’s one of the reason we’re currently being so successful
As I said… perhaps Atkins.
It’s a very hard decision and there will not be consensus.
With parfitt coming in as another inside mid don’t know if we need both. But hey .. I really don’t know who should go out. So far I’ve gone with menengola and O’Connor and struggling to find a third

I think Atkins is an absolute lock. When the going gets tough in a final, he will be the guy we can rely on.

He has had a few quiet weeks, but we have not really had to dig deep in these games. That is when he comes to the fore.

The last quarter v the Power was the most impressive quarter any Geelong player has produced this year. Or at least second behind Cameron’s last quarter v Collingwood which was much more significant than I thought at the time.

Hope someone can post on who actually travels up there from the Emergencies... id say most likely 3 out of the 4 will go? 1 sub and 2 for the break out of glass emergency
Other interstate they have sent 3 or 4.

i am watching for danger not getting on plane which we will find out shortly I assume

Other interstate they have sent 3 or 4.

i am watching for danger not getting on plane which we will find out shortly I assume
If Danger misses this week, he then plays his 300th in finals, there is just no way the GFC would want that, all focus must be to do with finals, however with the potential wet whether forecast at Gold Coast this weekend, you can see the benefit of not flying Danger to the Gold Coast and playing in 'not ideal' conditions. My take is that they will play him against Gold Coast (even as a SUB if necessary), thus allowing Danger to play and celebrate his 300th next week at our home of Kardinia Park along with his beloved GFC members. From that point onwards it will all 100% finals focused which surely would be the clubs preferred option. GO CATS !!!

Last edited:
Still learning! He debuted in 2017. He seems to have just levelled out in his development.
Agreed. He's a solid player but I think he's likely reached his ceiling.

Personally, I've no issue with him being in our best 22 come finals but I also have no issue if he's not included.

Could be a candidate for sub for our September campaign.

I like that actually. Speed and creativity, with both of those players having goal threat too (in finals, that has been a weakness in the past).

The third marking target Rohan presents and room for rapid out the back goals once congestion is cleared - I think they'll see that as important.

Meanwhile the "brigade" of small forwards working together is very much a template for our success this year.

In Zuthrie and Menegola we would have two excellent backups though.
Do emergencies get medals too if a team wins the GF?

I think Atkins is an absolute lock. When the going gets tough in a final, he will be the guy we can rely on.

He has had a few quiet weeks, but we have not really had to dig deep in these games. That is when he comes to the fore.

The last quarter v the Power was the most impressive quarter any Geelong player has produced this year. Or at least second behind Cameron’s last quarter v Collingwood which was much more significant than I thought at the time.
Yes, wasn't crazy about Atkins down back but he has been a revelation in the midfield. He's a lock-in for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back