Preview Geelong V Gold Coast Sat Aug 13 2022 4:35 pm at Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suns have worked their backsides off in a long season with a big injury list. They are out of the running now and my guess is their minds are likely turning to holidays in 10 days time. We are also playing much better football so I can't see us losing. I reckon Danger was as much about a bit of management and where he plays his 300th as his "tight" calf. Late out didn't make it look disrespectful to the Saints as resting him would have with Selwood, Blitz and Rohan already out. He'll play this week and next. They won't want his 300th distracting everyone in the lead in to a final.

Sounds like Smith is a rest. The other changes are really hard to work through. Nothing about form - all about giving everyone on the “fringe” (in that 26 person squad) a chance to play in the next two rounds to help make decisions on Finals 22.

The bye before finals also throws a curve ball (for a fit team!) in that you don’t want too many people missing 2 weeks into finals. So I suspect we need to be as close to the best 22 against Weagles (what a waste!) and only rest those who genuinely have niggles.

so I think they need to manage a few extra this week…

So my guess for this week

Out: Dal, Sm8th (managed), Guthrie (managed), MOC (managed)
In: Selwood, Blitz, Rohan

Danger might be named but won’t get on the plane!
Is Cooper Stephens fit to.play?
i don’t think he will get up this week for either afl nor vfl

Geelong could make up to four changes for the trip to the Gold Coast.

Captain Joel Selwood and the versatile Mark Blicavs will play after being managed, and livewire forward Gary Rohan’s on track to return from a concussion suffered against the Western Bulldogs.

Patrick Dangerfield is also expected to play after being a late withdrawal from the win over St Kilda with calf tightness.

With Scott flagging that veteran winger Isaac Smith will be rested, up to three players from last week’s victory will find themselves on the outer.

I'd be looking at maybe giving someone like Cam Guthrie, who has played every game a rest this week. You want your mids to be as fresh as possible ahead of a potential physically tough month. He'd have copped some punishment as an inside mid this year and this week could be ideal for him to put his feet up before attacking September.

I'd be looking at maybe giving someone like Cam Guthrie, who has played every game a rest this week. You want your mids to be as fresh as possible ahead of a potential physically tough month. He'd have copped some punishment as an inside mid this year and this week could be ideal for him to put his feet up before attacking September.

Only if he's sore.
A rest for rests sake does nothing, and if it's simply to freshen up, they have the bye before finals (then a bye after they win the QF), so plenty of rest to be primed.

Only if he's sore.
A rest for rests sake does nothing, and if it's simply to freshen up, they have the bye before finals (then a bye after they win the QF), so plenty of rest to be primed.

Absolutely. Would imagine the sports science team are all over it if players look like needing a rest and there's no evidence from the outside that they look fatigued and aren't coping with the workload.

Time on ground numbers suggest he has been doing just that throughout the season.

It's a fine line because the problem with resting players now may mean - If we win the QF - that some could have played 2 games in 5 weeks heading into a PF.

I'm a big believer in momentum and continuity can dictate that.

Time on ground numbers suggest he has been doing just that throughout the season.

It's a fine line because the problem with resting players now may mean - If we win the QF - that some could have played 2 games in 5 weeks heading into a PF.

I'm a big believer in momentum and continuity can dictate that.

Same - only reason to rest/manage players at this time of the season is because they need that additional week off and not just to give them a week off

Someone like O'Connor where it's been reported suffered a gash to the leg may have a weeks rest depending on the seriousness of the gash & how it's healing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Atkins got rested he would go down to the local Geelong and District game and put on the runner's vest
I think he has been pounded every game this year - and done a mountain of pounding himself!

He has looked a little tired the last couple of weeks.

I might make him the Sub.

P
In: Selwood, PFD, Rohan, Blitz
Out: Smith, Dahlhaus, O'Connor (Injured/Managed), Atkins (Managed) but to play as Sub.
Logical. I still think they wont take PFD (will name him but he won’t go)…I would be “certain” if he wasn’t on 298 Games so maybe they take him (sub?) to get his 299 and play the 300 at home pre finals - so argue against myself!

P

Logical. I still think they wont take PFD (will name him but he won’t go)…I would be “certain” if he wasn’t on 298 Games so maybe they take him (sub?) to get his 299 and play the 300 at home pre finals - so argue against myself!
I think he will play, I'm 90% sure Danger being a late out last week was the plan all along to try and make us look less arrogant and get his 300th at home. Or Danger just pulled out himself and nobody else was in on it, wouldn't put it past him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back