Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
I've grown ice cold on him like near everyone else here (rightly so). But at one point I liked how clean and clever he was and he seemed to read the play well for a very young player. But never really built on that (AFL wise) and his positives come to be badly outweighed by his negatives.

Yeah it's tough marking him seriously only 29 games to his name. I'm the same not sure how much development he has in him. A lot have gone straight past him in best 22 Dalhaus, Rohan, Miers, Atkins.

Then the established Ablett, Parfitt, Menegola who play that wing half forward role.

And he looks like a genuine half forward forward pocket and sneak some minutes on the wing.

And on the wing I prefer fogarty, Narkle or a fit cockatoo. Only 22 so theoretically plenty of time for him to develop needs some more strings to his bow. Looks like manic pressure and just getting himself super fit would be his best chance. On raw talent you can see with how he just went to the bottom of the group behind miers, Atkins, Clark, Constable he has a lot of work to do.

I think he should watch shane Edward's very similar body types both agile and elusive. There may be a place for him in AFL but I can also see more of a handy VFL backup role in the Murdoch ghs range

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
Disapointed as Id like to have seen him buttering up after a tough day... but I trust the MC

Yeah I'm with the M.C as well he just looks best 22. Really carried a huge work load over the first 4 rounds when you go back and look it over. Hopefully jordan Clark and Sav get rotated around a bit as well.

So we keep youth in the side getting games and developing with an eye to getting some of the more senior group some minutes as well. S.Selwood, Z.Tuohy, J.Bews, C.Guthrie all except Zach will need to play well for a spot late in the season i feel.

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
I'm pretty happy with my posting. You either agree or you don't and that's fine.

A little bit of chin wobble and chest pumping coming around the corner. The lads pretty happy with his work we do like that around here

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
Not if they don’t think they need to. Guthrie fits that bill I’m afraid. Very happy with himself.... at least that’s what I’m led to believe from the lack of effort he puts in.
You’re bang on about Stanley though... most improved at the club in the last 12-15 months.

Most improved settle yourself right down only played 15 games last year. Broke down mid season then broke down round 21 and did not return.

Tom Stewart for mine by a mile

The Bandwagon

Club Legend
Jul 1, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Most improved settle yourself right down only played 15 games last year. Broke down mid season then broke down round 21 and did not return.

Tom Stewart for mine by a mile
I'd say Miers. Never looked close to a game last year and has played the first 4 games and hasn't looked out of place. A few inc myself were writing him off last year.

Mr Blicavs

Basking in Premiership glory!
Aug 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Toronto Raptors - Maple Leafs
Not according to those who watched the VFL last week. It was the same old Cameron (I'd rather look like a surfer) Guthrie.

Expect him to play in pink boots.
25 possessions of chip chip chip.... run past for a handball, chip again, miss his target from 15 metres away... jog casually through the corridor while the opposition run away with his clanger. I think thats how it was described to me
Has a familiar ring to it, doesnt it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Bandwagon

Club Legend
Jul 1, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Someone needs to update his Wikipedia then... could they put "s**t" in the games played column
Haha!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameron_Guthrie

guthrie1.JPG

Ray Donovan

Staring into the abyss
Oct 11, 2016
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
I'd say Miers. Never looked close to a game last year and has played the first 4 games and hasn't looked out of place. A few inc myself were writing him off last year.

I think he will be in the running for that award this year 2019 miers.

Blic said last 12-15 months though Stewart all Australian second season incredible. I remember his first 4 games in year 1 people wanted his head on a stick. So he went and cut the mustard so to speak

In terms of just taking on a role unfamiliar Blicavs to Key Defence would win some votes as well

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I think Einstein specifically had Guthrie and his enablers in mind when he came up with this quote:

"Stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results"
Einstein's quote is actually "The definition of insanity is doing...."

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong

Always thought he was a tough little nut from day one, not overly credentialled but had a very big game in Falcons GF then led the reserves goalkicking.
Needed muscle and weight from last year early stages yet but the signs are great.
Has already taken a quantum leap and will continue to do so imo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back