Preview Geelong V Hawthorn Monday 22 April @ MCG 3:20 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Explain what point ?

That they are resting him because they don't want to overload him lol

That's generally how it works with 19 year olds
You still can't see it despite the fact it was written there in that article you posted. Amazing.

You still can't see it despite the fact it was written there in that article you posted. Amazing.

No I can't remember what your actual point was probably why I am struggling to read between the lines detail your point

Precisely. A select group here don't take too kindly to any form of criticism surrounding the club and always try to find excuses for their decisions.

It's probably the worst board on BF at the moment.
You frequent the other 17 boards as much as this one?

The point is he didn't need a rest at all. The proof is in the pudding with having only played 1 game in 18 days, 4 rounds into the season. If he's not fit enough on that proviso he shouldn't be considered for selection at all.

Bailey Scott was rested 3 matches into the season, each with a 7 day break between rounds - does that indicate that he isn't fit enough for AFL and should never have played from round 1 or that maybe teams are trying to be conservative with young players & not overload them too early in their AFL careers?

Precisely. A select group here don't take too kindly to any form of criticism surrounding the club and always try to find excuses for their decisions.

It's probably the worst board on BF at the moment.
Is that an invitation suggesting you dont need access here or just an observation in your opinion?

GO Catters

I'm curious about something - Scott has said that they were looking to give Chook a week off & it was either going to be last week or this week. Say that he actually had last week off and that it was Narkle who came in for the match against GWS - do we get these same level of melts & conspiracy theories about Chook being dropped, but the club trying to be nice to him & not hurt his feelings, or are people more accepting of the need to rest a young player and are ok to give another youngster an opportunity?

yes agree and rested after cats bullied and cut up on the spread the week before. Slowest midfielder in the group rested! People can’t put 2 & 2 together. Dare we question the authority of the GFC. hilarious stuff.

So what happens if he comes straight back in next week ?

Gee with alot of upsets this round I hope the hawks don't beat us....

All Guthrie's fault if they do!

Even if he has 50 disposals, goes at 100% efficiency and kicks 10 goals - it will still be all Guthries fault!!!!

:straining: :rolleyes:

Is that an invitation suggesting you dont need access here or just an observation in your opinion?

GO Catters
It's an invitation. I've asked you blokes before to forum ban me. It's a cesspit these days.

If the temptation wasn't there ...

Other boards don't delete posts they don't agree with, then labelling them as off topic, but leave others of the same content simply because they're praising the club or they fit in with their own narrative... ban it's own posters yet allow other clubs supporters to troll willingly.

It's the stark reality and I'm not the only one who shares this opinion. This place is far too left for my liking anyway. That joke post I made after the loss to GWS and was reported by 16 people here says it all.

People here just can't take any form of criticism directed at the club and throw tantrums.

Look at Gero for example, everytime he doesn't agree with a post he calls it 'rubbish' or uses some other form of vitriol behind his keyboard.

Maybe that setting the tone thread that's stickied needs to be applied to everyone.

Have a good day.

Now Guthrie gets his turn to execute against a well organised hawthorn side. So the fans get to see his effectiveness in comparison to constable.

I'm hoping that for the first time in years, Guthrie actually admits to himself - 'maybe my spot in the team is not a given?'

Even though Scott loves him, it certainly seems he's no sure thing anymore. Not since we know now he's no more effective than these youngsters, and with 150 games under his belt should be a LOT MORE productive than them.

One can only hope Guthrie plays like a player who needs to impress to earn a game, not one who thinks he's a star that doesn't.

Personally it does not bother me if Guthrie is in the best 22 or not. How bad he is slightly overblown he's better than Murdoch level but a B grader for the most part role player.

Not B grade.

Why? Duncan is B grade, Menegola may squeeze in there. Guthrie is not in that company. He's been performing among the fringe of an AFL side for the last 2 years (though not dropped - should have been).

Cameron Guthrie is a C grade performer in his better games, D grade in his worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting they’d go with Smith and not Abbott.

If it's a calf issue then it's generally going to be longer than just a 1-week break - with Smith out of contract they may have said to him, "Right now you are the only ruck on the list out of contract at seasons end, you have a 3-week period to show us what you can do and why you should be valued as more than just a VFL level ruck".

IF Stanley is out for a period of time and Smith fails to take advantage of the situation, it will put a line through him and the club will turn it's focus to Abbott & Fort - but Smith has played well against the Hawks on Easter Monday before, can he repeat that effort?

If it's a calf issue then it's generally going to be longer than just a 1-week break - with Smith out of contract they may have said to him, "Right now you are the only ruck on the list out of contract at seasons end, you have a 3-week period to show us what you can do and why you should be valued as more than just a VFL level ruck".

IF Stanley is out for a period of time and Smith fails to take advantage of the situation, it will put a line through him and the club will turn it's focus to Abbott & Fort - but Smith has played well against the Hawks on Easter Monday before, can he repeat that effort?

True! Not sure he has built the fitness for it yet but I’d love to see Esava No.1 Ruck sometime if Stanley/Smith is out.

Personally, I'm not a huge Guthrie fan, but if he's in the team, I hope he contributes and plays well.

As for other players, I'm really curious to see how some of the new forward blokes go on such a huge stage. This will be the second 'big' game of the year, and will go a long way to displaying whether we've worked on rectifying our record in big games which has been, admittedly, very poor.

Can Miers still crumb and kick goals in a game like this?
Likewise Rohan - we know he's dropped the bundle in finals in the past. Really interested to see how he goes against the hawks on the big stage.
Also Dal - he's still an unknown for me. So far I'd say he's been sub-par in his scoring (3 goals this year), but solid in his forward pressure.

The hawks aren't the outfit they used to be. If we apply manic pressure to them, we should be able to win. We never really see any tactical wildcards being played in these games - it's more a war of attrition and a measure of which team can hold their nerve. Can't wait to see how we go.

All true.

The pressure is on CGuth to perform. He did well I think in the first game against them last year coming from behind.

I’ve noticed that sides that have close tough wins one week often drop a bit the next before picking themselves up again. GWS case in point and us last week. Let’s hope so anyway as the winning formula is being varied this week which worries me.

Big week for Sav, Danger and Joel. Sav looked much more likely in game against GWS. Paddy and Joel out of sorts. I expect Joel back in the middle with Guth on a wing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm hoping that for the first time in years, Guthrie actually admits to himself - 'maybe my spot in the team is not a given?'

Even though Scott loves him, it certainly seems he's no sure thing anymore. Not since we know now he's no more effective than these youngsters, and with 150 games under his belt should be a LOT MORE productive than them.

One can only hope Guthrie plays like a player who needs to impress to earn a game, not one who thinks he's a star that doesn't.

Not B grade.

Why? Duncan is B grade, Menegola may squeeze in there. Guthrie is not in that company. He's been performing among the fringe of an AFL side for the last 2 years (though not dropped - should have been).

Cameron Guthrie is a C grade performer in his better games, D grade in his worse.

His best is B-Grade role player his worst drops a lot.

Duncan is A grade at geelong make no mistake about that.

He is not on the elite stratosphere like Dangerfield ( currently ) or big hawk.
Selwood, Taylor of yesteryear. But right now he would be in the first 5 picked every week.

Really does not bother me either way Guthrie his contract is obviously small if he makes up the 18-22 so be it. I have constable as more important and Clark and Miers better options for games long term.

As stated i prefer him making up the numbers compared to a Murdoch or a Parsons type that's just me.

Menegola best is A grade has a higher ceiling than Guthrie possibly.

They both have those drop offs though which makes you grade them a bit down. Consistency is the factor.

End of the day Guthrie really doesn't bother me too much for some reason. He is no star and won't be probably on the tail end of his career. His bad though probably outweighs the good if your looking purely at a price point. But with everyone available I probably don't pick him not sure the 18-22 bracket will fluctuate especially with a lot of kids some will tail off. Injuries happen availability

I’m just giving you facts based on two top ten picks , and one other sub 40 all of whom were drafted as mids and all of whom needed rest due to soreness early in their careers
One who was 189cm and ~84kgs as an 18yo needed 2 weeks off after playing 6 or so IIRC
It happens mate , I know the kids I have mentioned personally so I’m 100% sure soreness is a big issue for newly drafted players with immature bodies

Absolutely. Need to be very careful with young guys until they start filling out. Given men continue to grow often until they are 19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

His best is B-Grade role player his worst drops a lot.

Duncan is A grade at geelong make no mistake about that.

Fair enough, there's clearly no exact science behind rating players this way.

'A' grade to me is Dangerfield, Selwood, Ablett and Kelly (just?), who are all clearly above any other of the non-talls. Dangerfield is elite, Selwood & Ablett used to be, not anymore.

Duncan is not in that bracket, so how at the same club is he rated among them? Depends on the scale I guess.

We'll agree to disagree.

Fair enough, there's clearly no exact science behind rating players this way.

'A' grade to me is Dangerfield, Selwood, Ablett and Kelly (just?), who are all clearly above any other of the non-talls. Dangerfield is elite, Selwood & Ablett used to be, not anymore.

Duncan is not in that bracket, so how at the same club is he rated among them? Depends on the scale I guess.

We'll agree to disagree.
I’d have Duncan over Kelly. Different roles but he has more runs on the board for far longer

I’d have Duncan over Kelly. Different roles but he has more runs on the board for far longer

Yeah that's fair too. Again, it's a difficult scale to use. I'd be happy to take Kelly out of that 'A' group if so.

Kelly is now seen by opposition as damaging enough to tag, has Duncan ever been? Don't think so.

I think if I had to let one of the two go at the end of the year it would be Duncan (even though we'll likely lose Kelly) - tough one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back