Preview Geelong V Hawthorn Monday 22 April @ MCG 3:20 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He didnt play VFL cause he's sore and needs a rest.
Unless he's needed today, then he's fine.

being 'rested' does not automatically mean he is 'sore' and cannot or should not play.

he has been given a week off by those who work with him daily, and guthrie has been deemed a suitable replacement. constable was named on the extended bench so if he was absolutely needed last minute, he was available and could play.

seems fairly uncontroversial to me.

Broadly speaking I agree with the "let's give the kids responsibility" principle, but I don't think it's a principle that should be committed to with such uncompromising absolutism that we voluntarily abstain from using "Selwood into the guts" at all times no matter what the circumstances. This week is one such occasion in which I would argue that for reasons of team balance it makes more sense to give Selwood time on ball. With Constable rested we go in to the game an onballer short. Guthrie can play there I guess but I don't find him particularly convincing. Moving Selwood back on ball until Constable comes back makes more sense to me.

Next week when Constable returns Selwood can go back to the wing. I'm not advocating a reversion back to last year's set-up long-term.

Without bringing up the G-word - because God only knows we have five Guthrie threads here already in all but name - I'd rather see Parfitt given more time onball. It's where he should end up long-term IMO.

Abbott has been much better than Smith in recent vfl games though.
This whole merry-go-round is basically trying to find an answer to a problem that we can't answer.

McEvoy is an 8 out of 10.

We have Stanley, who is a 5 out of 10, Abbot who is a 4, and Smith who is a 3. Which of the three are better than 8/10?

This whole merry-go-round is basically trying to find an answer to a problem that we can't answer.

We have Stanley, who is a 5 out of 10, Abbot who is a 4, and Smith who is a 3. Which of the three are better than 8/10?

I think Stanley has been better than a 5 lately but i dont disagree with your general point.

I think Stanley has been better than a 5 lately but i dont disagree with your general point.
Stanley is 6+/10
Smith would be a 5/10. He needs to be tried again. McEvoy is the appropriate starting point this season.
Then the rest.

Stanley is 6+/10
Smith would be a 5/10. He needs to be tried again. McEvoy is the appropriate starting point this season.
Then the rest.

Smith probably has a higher ceiling than all of our rucks but he has done nothing since last year to warrant selection. If he gets a game tomorrow he is playing for his career IMO.

It's been hard to get a read on him.

I'd argue that he was beaten (but not completely disgraced) against Gawn and Grundy, but they are the two best ruckmen of 2018. Then he comfortably beat a three-game rookie in O'Brien, but last week was a really clear win to Mumford.

I'd still have him at 1-3 so far.

Smith probably has a higher ceiling than all of our rucks but he has done nothing since last year to warrant selection. If he gets a game tomorrow he is playing for his career IMO.
I hope he believes that himself. To play like there is no tomorrow could do him some good, but I have faith in his quality.

It's been hard to get a read on him.

I'd argue that he was beaten (but not completely disgraced) against Gawn and Grundy, but they are the two best ruckmen of 2018. Then he comfortably beat a three-game rookie in O'Brien, but last week was a really clear win to Mumford.

I'd still have him at 1-3 so far.

I thought he broke even last week personally.

Either way he has been really good throughout the last 12 months.

Clarkson playing mind games:
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-21/well-be-in-strife-clarko-wary-of-easter-monday-fadeout
Sometimes I think our players read their own press (Clarko certainly hopes so). I'm concerned Hawthorn may cause an upset tomorrow (I'd definitely be upset!:eek:). I mean look at this weekend - Carlton wins against the Dogs while Adelaide and Fremantle look like decent football teams.

It’s almost a definite upset tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lets hope if Smith is a late in as expected, that he can replicate his 3-goal, 14 disposal game against the Hawks in his Cats debut in 2016. I certainly don't think he's likely to do that again, but he's playing for his career tomorrow, he'll be keen to impress.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope he believes that himself. To play like there is no tomorrow could do him some good, but I have faith in his quality.

Yeah I don't think we will be to disadvantaged with Stanley out and Smith in. Stanley is clearly way ahead and the better option when fit, but I have faith Zac can at least compete well enough in what's likely his last opportunity.

Just watching a bit of the Crows v Suns to see Murda. He’s just kicked out of bounds on the full in backline. Poor old Murda.

Agreed.

But shouldn’t Abbott be rewarded on form?

It’s not under 9’s where everyone gets a participation award. Life’s not fair sometimes - but the reality is you pick the best man for the job. The MC clearly think smith has more ability to negate big boy than abbot.

Smith is in today, and we have to live with it.
The bigger problem is that it is, apparently, Stanley's calf which is a problem again. He's become very important to our 6-6-6 clearance structure with his own clearances and his one-percenters for the other clearance players. We don't want him missing for an extended period.

If McEvoy is 8/10, Gawn and Grundy must be about 500/10.

Without bringing up the G-word - because God only knows we have five Guthrie threads here already in all but name - I'd rather see Parfitt given more time onball. It's where he should end up long-term IMO.

Great point, let's develop our talent by giving them opportunity..

Guthrie is basically a witch's hat in the midfield. Clueless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back