Preview Geelong V Melbourne PF 2 Fri Sept 10 750pm @ the WAC OPTUS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As per my post in the review thread, Kolo has actually been in the coaches votes in 3 out of our last 8 finals. He hasn't scored 10s or anything, but no one else at Geelong has been in the coaches votes more often in finals over the past 4 years. As surprising as that may be, it's hard to see the him being dropped this week based on that (not that it was ever a chance anyway - the coaches seem to love him, which may explain the votes!).
What do they see in him that we don't?

Been a great ride, unexpected for us, but I hope we can capitalise. Nevertheless, if you roll us I hope you get it done. Chris Scott is a bit of a flog occasionally but I do like his dogged approach to keeping you in contention.

Don't worry, you will.
We will put up a bit of a fight for an hour but the damn wall will burst and you will pile on the goals.
Tougher on the inside and have far superior rucks and back-line.

This crap about us posing a different setup now that Ratugolea is in the team, it's just that, hyperbole.
We lose O'Conner and Parfitt, two of our best defensive midfielders. Viney and Harmes can rotate between Guthrie and Dangerfield and we have no one to run with Brayshaw, Petracca or Oliver.

Melbourne v Port Adelaide would be a great grand final spectacle.

You’ll never get a better opportunity. This has to be your year. No Hawks or Tigers to rattle you. Dogs best player is shot and Port you can beat. Clearly I want you to lose but in terms of opportunity for Geelong, this is the one.

I find it interesting the comment re Port... I mean, on recent form? They have our measure in finals.

Me personally I'd feel more confident going up against WBD

...BUT....

We have to get past the Dees first - and this I'm not all that confident of.

If Narkle had the commitment he showed earlier in the year I would agree but I think he has already checked out. Last game he played had virtually zero commitment to the contest.

If what I’m told is correct (Narkle’s future) then I would be amazed if he was selected to play Fri night. Next level amazed.

Unless they have a specific role which they believe only Narkle can play (which I doubt), then I think it will be Simpson for Parfitt.

Biggest question will be whether Higgins plays. I suspect not. Who does he replace? Holmes has played his way into this side and will stay in for this week I think. His 8 tackles were one thing, but closing speed and running players down in a foot race are what we desperately need - hence why he pushed Dahlhaus out.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Mark Neeld often eludes to Narkle not being great defensively so would this rule him out? Higgins doesn’t really either but has experience. I’d lean towards Simpson because he could play high half toward and roll through the middle. Thought he wasn’t our worst v port.

I like Menegola in the guts particularly Centre bounce as he is hard to move and will contest.

Very interesting selection

Don't worry, you will.
We will put up a bit of a fight for an hour but the damn wall will burst and you will pile on the goals.

This crap about us posing a different setup now that Ratugolea is in the team, it's just that, hyperbole.
We lose O'Conner and Parfitt, two of our best defensive midfielders. Viney and Harmes can rotate between Guthrie and Dangerfield and we have no one to run with Brayshaw, Petracca or Oliver.

Yeah just like you declared that Ashbury was a " Gun Defender " - following week he was in the Tigers 2nds for about a month - and then he read the tea leaves - or more likely was tapped on the shoulder and pulled the pin at the end of the year

I will you give you a quiet street corner tip - seeing that you are a student of the punt - dont totally ignore the option and the $13 on offer of Geelong to win by plus 40pts

Yeah just like you declared that Ashbury was a " Gun Defender " - following week he was in the Tigers 2nds for about a month - and then he read the tea leaves - or more likely was tapped on the shoulder and pulled the pin at the end of the year

I will you give you a quiet street corner tip - seeing that you are a student of the punt - dont totally ignore the option and the $13 on offer of Geelong to win by plus 40pts

You told everyone to unload their hard earned on Geelong before the Port Adelaide final, lol, and then stated Mitch Duncan cannot play half back flank as he's a ranking failure and cannot handle it.

Your're the last person who should be giving out any tips.

Mark Neeld often eludes to Narkle not being great defensively so would this rule him out? Higgins doesn’t really either but has experience. I’d lean towards Simpson because he could play high half toward and roll through the middle. Thought he wasn’t our worst v port.

I like Menegola in the guts particularly Centre bounce as he is hard to move and will contest.

I wonder whether having Menegola in the middle would tempt the MC to go for Clark, for more pace than Higgins or Simpson can provide, and he is a WA lad who likes playing to the crowd.

I wonder whether having Menegola in the middle would tempt the MC to go for Clark, for more pace than Higgins or Simpson can provide, and he is a WA lad who likes playing to the crowd.

That would be the way I’d go. Put him on the same wing as Langdon.

Don't worry, you will.

history says one of them will miss the GF

I assume Narkle been training with the club just in case he is needed. He has an x-factor about him and he would want to impress to keep his options open. Constable has been dominating the midfield at VFL and he has not looked out of place when elevated for AFL games. At least put one of the guys as the emergency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Geelong people. I am not going to apologise for the intrusion because I am not sorry. I am very nervous about this. Geelong is just this club that never dies. The T-1000 in Terminator 2, Ryan Harris bowling at the same clip on the same ten cent piece with a knee with no cartilage, a polar bear that travels for weeks and weeks on shoddy ice shelves to stay on the scent of a slippery seal.

You’ve copped Hawthorn and Richmond at their zenith, a remarkable era for both clubs. If it wasn’t for them you’d have been the dominant force. Yet six years after Hawthorn’s last flag and a year after you lost the GF, I feel you are a better side. I have a lot of respect for Geelong. I love the way Chris Scott finds something every year to stay in the hunt and doesn’t go the easy option of the rebuild. Losing to you would be tough, but having Geelong in a GF would be more than palatable.

What concerns me is your forward line with Esava. I think you’ve finally hit this balance with Stanley and Esava. I don’t think Stanley will have his colours lowered again. He is definitely an honest and serviceable ruckman but I think that’s all you need. He will be finding a gear against Gawn, no doubt.

Hawkins, Cameron and Esava are going to stretch us. The key is Lever. He pretty much got a pass against Brisbane due to no Hipwood and McStay cracking his face. This is his biggest task. I am not even worried about the GF match ups for him, it’s this game that will stretch him to the brink.

Our forwards are dead even with your defence without Stewart. With Stewart, you’re up. McDonald is not in good form and Brown could go either way. Fritsch is your biggest issue plus the smalls we have. I reckon getting the ball in ‘Richmond style’ is our key.

I genuinely believe this is the year for Geelong. You’re better with Smith and Cameron. This adds a different dynamic. People discount the 45 point lead you had in round 23. How and why you fell apart is going to be assessed deeply by Scott. He will remind the players of that. And rightly so.

I think the Cats will show up and beat us, and then you’ll finally get that elusive flag. Port Adelaide I don’t mind, they’re a bit like you. Hinkley just doesn’t GAF, like Scott. But the WB can GAGF. I’d love nothing more to see them eaten alive by you in a GF. If you do play them in a GF, FFS please turn up and kick straight.

I am not wishing you good luck against Melbourne, but, to lose to Geelong wouldn’t be a bad thing in the end. Just make sure you don’t utensil up the GF again!
My lord. Mate, why be so negative?
Just enjoy the ride.

I get that you have a lifetime of pent up doubt. We were there 14 years ago.
But just roll with it.

I assume Narkle been training with the club just in case he is needed. He has an x-factor about him and he would want to impress to keep his options open.
This what I don't understand about Narkle. If he wanted other clubs to notice him, wouldn't he want to put in the best effort he can?

A question if I may.
I'm not one to watch replays. Has anyone looked back at our recent Melbourne game?

If so, how much damage did Gawn do by going to ball ups / throw ins against Hawkins?
I don't remember Hawk touching it.

Do we change it up?
I.e make Stanley take those contests, have hawk roaming off the contest, and make sure Esava gets right out of 50 so he contest the bail out kick?

I've got a really good feeling about this game. Not sure if it's Monday confidence or something else.

We always find GWS hard to beat of late and we did it quite comfortably which surprised me in the end.

I look at Melbourne's bottom 6-8 players and think we could expose them on the big stage. They probably have 4 or 5 genuine A graders ... If we nullify their influence we could win this Convincingly.

There was something in the players eyes walking off the ground Friday. Unfinished business.

Miers and Close impacting on the scoreboard is also important. Close is turning out to be a absolute steal.

Go Cats.

Love your confidence mate. Unfortunately not feeling it atm.

Re Kolo it is a pointless debate

The bottom line - is if Andrew Mackie was on the list - he would be on a hbf and Kolo wouldnt get a game . It is the same with Sav - to those who are quoting his low stat/possessions - if a Barry Stoneham type was on the list - then he would be playing and Sav wouldnt

Kolo and Sav are the best we have got - they are certainties to play - and i think Geel can still win the premiership with those 2 playing in the side

I honestly think that the flag is being decided in this weeks Melb/Geel - i dont rate the other 2 and havent all year . If Geel get over Melb ( which they are a decent chance of doing ) my main concern is the week off till the GF - that just seems to be kryptonite for Geel - the Cats are just so more reliable if they just keep playing
IMAGINE beating Melbourne.
That is hard enough.
But say Port beats Doggies and they have another week off- that's 2 games in 5 weeks!!
Surely we would be in the box seat.

So, here's a random idea. What about if we put Dangerfield on the half-back flank occasionally, and when he gets the ball, he just bursts forward and confuses the hell out of Melbourne's forward set-up. They may have to then re-jigger and put a defensive forward on him. He'd be like Bews on steroids. I like how Jed breaks lines and takes the game on. I feel like we need more dare and dash to throw something they wouldn't expect. Potentially also gets Danger into the game as the ball is coming towards him. Dunno. I still remember Blight putting Couch and Bairstow on the bench to start a game and it really unsettling the oppo.

So, here's a random idea. What about if we put Dangerfield on the half-back flank occasionally, and when he gets the ball, he just bursts forward and confuses the hell out of Melbourne's forward set-up. They may have to then re-jigger and put a defensive forward on him. He'd be like Bews on steroids. I like how Jed breaks lines and takes the game on. I feel like we need more dare and dash to throw something they wouldn't expect. Potentially also gets Danger into the game as the ball is coming towards him. Dunno. I still remember Blight putting Couch and Bairstow on the bench to start a game and it really unsettling the oppo.

Against the Demons in 89, the week after we were flogged by Essendon. It worked. We smashed Melbourne, then easily reversed the Bombers game beating them by 94 points. Awesome memories.

Against the Demons in 89, the week after we were flogged by Essendon. It worked. We smashed Melbourne, then easily reversed the Bombers game beating them by 94 points. Awesome memories.

Recall Blight getting the team to roll in the mud pre match which had a lot of us supporters at the ground wondering what was going on! Ablett was superb that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back