Preview Geelong v Melbourne Sun Apr 11 @ MCG 3:20 pm - Rd 4, 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question - who were the 2 key forwards he was playing behind in Adelaide to be the third tall when he kicked 40+ for 5 years in a row?

I'll grant you Taylor Walker. But the only other 'talls' Adelaide had in the forward line were probably Lynch and Mitch McGovern. He's definitely more of a key forward than both of those.
Lynch and McGovern don't look as threatening as they used to but Lynchs running power made him more threatening and McGovern was no where near as terrible back then as he is today. Plus when the crows were really rolling their major advantage was Cameron and Betts at the feet of Tex, that's where the ball was going. Not too many oppo analysis gurus would have spent much time on Jenkins.

witsend

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 22, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Lakers
This. Wouldn’t mind Narkle getting a run though

I’ve wanted Narkle in all year. I feel like his nimble side step will be very useful with the new man on the mark rule. He’s the kind of player who can take a chance on playing on almost immediately but get out of trouble if required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moond0g

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Lynch and McGovern don't look as threatening as they used to but Lynchs running power made him more threatening and McGovern was no where near as terrible back then as he is today. Plus when the crows were really rolling their major advantage was Cameron and Betts at the feet of Tex, that's where the ball was going. Not too many oppo analysis gurus would have spent much time on Jenkins.

I agree that Lynch in particular was a quality player. And that Cameron and Betts as smalls made their forward line dangerous.

But that's beside the point. He was clearly the second key forward at Adelaide.

Sep 11, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
I’ve wanted Narkle in all year. I feel like his nimble side step will be very useful with the new man on the mark rule. He’s the kind of player who can take a chance on playing on almost immediately but get out of trouble if required.

I wanted to see Constable get a good run at it before him.
I’ve seen enough to want Narkle in now

witsend

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 22, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Lakers
Just don’t think Jenkins has the mobility to ruck against Gawn when Stanley’s resting or be a meaningful target against, Tomlinson or Lever.
I’d rather 2 things:
Stanley has his once a month blinder and/or Fort comes in. He has way more energy than Jenkins and can actually jump more than 3” off the ground in a ruck contest. If Jenkins rucks against Gawn, the umpire may as well just hand it to a Demons mid…

gaz love x

All Australian
Oct 6, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Fort and Sav were effective against Gawn last season, it shouldn't even be a question that Fort gets the gig this time. If you want to give Stanley a go still do it as the ruck/forward but I would prefer someone who can mark the football

Sep 11, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Just don’t think Jenkins has the mobility to ruck against Gawn when Stanley’s resting or be a meaningful target against, Tomlinson or Lever.
I’d rather 2 things:
Stanley has his once a month blinder and/or Fort comes in. He has way more energy than Jenkins and can actually jump more than 3” off the ground in a ruck contest. If Jenkins rucks against Gawn, the umpire may as well just hand it to a Demons mid…

Why can’t we just do what the lions did against the pies and read it off Gawns hands?

Gawn is an issue. He is just gonna block up space in front of Tommy. So more boundary line leading for Hawkins . And then he’ll push forward and pose a threat.
Slow ball movement will play into the hands of Gawn, May , lever and co...
need a second tall up front and a lowering of the eyes mentality, yet those small forwards for the cats don’t look dangerous in my opinion? How will we kick a winning score???

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
Gawn is an issue. He is just gonna block up space in front of Tommy. So more boundary line leading for Hawkins . And then he’ll push forward and pose a threat.
Slow ball movement will play into the hands of Gawn, May , lever and co...
need a second tall up front and a lowering of the eyes mentality, yet those small forwards for the cats don’t look dangerous in my opinion? How will we kick a winning score???

Excuse the intrusion, but thought I’d pass on something Gawn said in an interview - which is he sets himself to play ruck the entire game each week and then depending on how the game is going he adjusts. He sees winning clearances as his most important job, so if Geelong are on top there that will likely trigger a change.

If Geelong go with Hawkins as a tall forward alone, I doubt you’d see Gawn down there too much as May, Lever and Tomlinson should be enough to negate one tall. I’d expect Gawn to then go no further back than bail out kick on the wing or half back, and then push forward when rucking. Gawn’s biggest weapon these days is his marking so he will be trying to exploit that.

But if Geelong play more genuine talls in the forward line, that increases the chance of Gawn dropping back while rucking.

In ruck contests there’s probably not too much point trying to out tap Gawn given who Geelong have, so conceding the taps and trying to rove Gawn may be the way to go. The flip side there is if Geelong do that well, more than likely Gawn will go and play as a deep forward more and Jackson will ruck more. Jackson isn’t a big hit out threat and a Stanley or Fort would almost certainly out tap him, but Jackson is very agile at ground level and like having another midfielder.

It’s an interesting tactical choice for Geelong as they can likely influence which version of Gawn they’d prefer to play against through their selection and structure.

I agree that Lynch in particular was a quality player. And that Cameron and Betts as smalls made their forward line dangerous.

But that's beside the point. He was clearly the second key forward at Adelaide.
Yeah on reflection I was definitely misremembering that and was incorrect, thanks for correcting. Ratcat fyi

I should rephrase and say that he's never been the second most threatening avenue to goal. I think the way a KPD defends him in 2017 is by being in front when he's deep, you need to be able to run off him if a Lynch or McGovern is running into space and if they're not you need to be able to bring it ground in a way that won't advantage a Betts or a Cameron. A defender on him in 2017 has 4 other threats to consider.

In this game you just have to be aware of Miers really. That sounds like a much easier time for a May or a Lever. I can't see him being effective there, and if he is just a decoy then we have more effective ground level options.

Sire of Claude

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Jenkin is not the future, agreed, but he'll probably bob up with 5 in the seniors at some point this season. That's football. 2 sausages average per game is very respectable; that's about what our Tom manages unless I'm mistaken.

We will need another tall on Sunday, plus Close and/or Narkle. Not sure inf Menegola will be back.

Right now our 'Seniors' experiment is looking a bit sick - first Cameron and now Higgins. The jury is out.

Excuse the intrusion, but thought I’d pass on something Gawn said in an interview - which is he sets himself to play ruck the entire game each week and then depending on how the game is going he adjusts. He sees winning clearances as his most important job, so if Geelong are on top there that will likely trigger a change.

If Geelong go with Hawkins as a tall forward alone, I doubt you’d see Gawn down there too much as May, Lever and Tomlinson should be enough to negate one tall. I’d expect Gawn to then go no further back than bail out kick on the wing or half back, and then push forward when rucking. Gawn’s biggest weapon these days is his marking so he will be trying to exploit that.

But if Geelong play more genuine talls in the forward line, that increases the chance of Gawn dropping back while rucking.

In ruck contests there’s probably not too much point trying to out tap Gawn given who Geelong have, so conceding the taps and trying to rove Gawn may be the way to go. The flip side there is if Geelong do that well, more than likely Gawn will go and play as a deep forward more and Jackson will ruck more. Jackson isn’t a big hit out threat and a Stanley or Fort would almost certainly out tap him, but Jackson is very agile at ground level and like having another midfielder.

It’s an interesting tactical choice for Geelong as they can likely influence which version of Gawn they’d prefer to play against through their selection and structure.
Thanks for that, interesting thoughts. I think with Stanley in the form he is on coming back from another soft tissue injury it'll be one to watch

Sire of Claude

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
I meant to comment on Stanley. He's far and away the best footballer among our ruck stocks, pending Sav's return. He'll never be Gawn or Grundy but he gets clearances, kicks goals, takes marks and is quick. He was not Robinson Crusoe in making errors last week - our standards right now are very low.

Further I'm always dubious about charges of softness; it's easy to say it from the couch and anyway reading body language is very subjective.

Grimoz

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 28, 2011
Shhh...its a secret!!!
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Manchester Utd, New York Rangers
We have been carrying too many guys this year, Dahlhaus, Constable for 2nd halves, Miers, Rohan they have all underperformed, even Selwood to some extent, if we have to carry these guys each week its going to be a rough season, against the good sides we will be exposed badly.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Agree Jenkins is just, but if all he does is draw Lever away from the Hawkins/May matchup then it is probably a win.

Once again this is a conversation that has come up because we have Rohan out who has been our designated aerial marking contender. Regardless of registering goals or disposals he competes strongly in the air and stops intercept marks and brings the ball to the ground. We had nobody to do that on the weekend and it was a loss, Henry provided a little bit second half, but frost and co just picked us off time and time again without that marking jumping target.

Grimoz

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 28, 2011
Shhh...its a secret!!!
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Manchester Utd, New York Rangers
Injury worse than expected or they're being cautious?

I reckon its always been planned to bring him back against North next week at home, time will tell but i think the injury is a bit more than what we are being told, someone above suggested a scar tissue issue as well so for all we know it could be anywhere from 1-4 weeks.

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
When can you ever believe Scott - especially when it comes to player availability

If he was a real estate agent and a house was next to a public drain - he would tell you its got Water views

Havent listened to one of his press conferences for 3 years - Brad was exactly the same - just 90% spin and nonsense - talk talk talk talk - just for the sake of talking .
The information is directed at the opposition, for the next few weeks. Not meant for us.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
We have been carrying too many guys this year, Dahlhaus, Constable for 2nd halves, Miers, Rohan they have all underperformed, even Selwood to some extent, if we have to carry these guys each week its going to be a rough season, against the good sides we will be exposed badly.

I think Miers actually showed a bit against the Hawks, so, at least we know he has considerable upside that isn't been hampered by fitness or anything like that. He also has a massive tank, so we need him picking up the slack for others.

Dahl needs a good few weeks in the VFL, and even Cleary has called him out in the 'In the Mix' article for this week - saying that he could be an omission, alongside the injured Evans and Higgins.

For all the crap I give Rohan lol, at least he can put pressure on and kick a goal here and there. Dahl can barely kick 45 metres, can't mark overhead, has not much pace anymore, and barely lays a tackle - there's just no reason to have him in the side at the moment.

Shadow89

Cancelled
Feb 20, 2018

Fascinating insight, cheers mate :)

P.S. I reckon you've got our measure this week, as we've still got too many key players missing - especially in the forward line

Shadow89

Cancelled
Feb 20, 2018
Yeah on reflection I was definitely misremembering that and was incorrect, thanks for correcting. Ratcat fyi

I should rephrase and say that he's never been the second most threatening avenue to goal. I think the way a KPD defends him in 2017 is by being in front when he's deep, you need to be able to run off him if a Lynch or McGovern is running into space and if they're not you need to be able to bring it ground in a way that won't advantage a Betts or a Cameron. A defender on him in 2017 has 4 other threats to consider.

In this game you just have to be aware of Miers really. That sounds like a much easier time for a May or a Lever. I can't see him being effective there, and if he is just a decoy then we have more effective ground level options.

I think if we have Menegola play at half forward, with Henry swung forward and Miers and Close buzzing around, that it'll at least provide some interesting matchups that they might not structure up well against.

Menegola and Henry are fantastic marks overhead, and both around 6'3, with Hawkins and then Miers and Close, could actually be a good dynamic. Would rather that than Jenkins in any case. Fort another option, but he'd probably get destroyed by May/Lever anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back