Status
Not open for further replies.

foodles05

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
5 magoo's last week means he's cooked.

one thing it absolutely doesn't prove is he is not. You do realise it's VFL and as I have pointed out before there are just so many factors relevant to his 5 goals that just stating the number doesn't take into account. Who was he playing on, how did he get them, were we absolutely smashing them ect ect ect. I know you have nailed your colours to this mast so stridently that you can never ever back down no him but please try and be unbiased.

foodles05

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Tad harsh, he’s kicked a shitload of goals across his career. Like or hate him he’s one of the most underrated players of recent times statistic wise.

40 plus 5 years in a row.

Hahaha I love when people reference historical performance when involving themselves in the debate around his current relevance. Wow can't believe three-peat Hawthorn didn't smash us last week. What he did 3,4,5,6 years ago is completely irrelevant to his value now.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
We will play the extra tall this week,who gets the nod will depend on whether they want a ruck/forward Fort or forward/ruck Jenkins,SDK could be a Smokey but with our injuries I think it comes down to one of the pair with some experience,If Stanley is feeling pinch after Monday I go with Fort other wise Jenkins.

We will play the extra tall this week,who gets the nod will depend on whether they want a ruck/forward Fort or forward/ruck Jenkins,SDK could be a Smokey but with our injuries I think it comes down to one of the pair with some experience,If Stanley is feeling pinch after Monday I go with Fort other wise Jenkins.
I think they'll go with Fort personally.

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
one thing it absolutely doesn't prove is he is not. You do realise it's VFL and as I have pointed out before there are just so many factors relevant to his 5 goals that just stating the number doesn't take into account. Who was he playing on, how did he get them, were we absolutely smashing them ect ect ect. I know you have nailed your colours to this mast so stridently that you can never ever back down no him but please try and be unbiased.

All that does is prove how biased and biggoted you are, and l say that in the nicest possible way! Lol!!!
But seriously you can apply that gammit to all players and dimiss them by choice.
Btw thanks for bothering to reply!
He is an enigma to some according to their knock.

Last edited:

frggr

Fan Favourite (they/them)
May 16, 2012
Poland
AFL Club
Geelong
I think if we have Menegola play at half forward, with Henry swung forward and Miers and Close buzzing around, that it'll at least provide some interesting matchups that they might not structure up well against.

Menegola and Henry are fantastic marks overhead, and both around 6'3, with Hawkins and then Miers and Close, could actually be a good dynamic. Would rather that than Jenkins in any case. Fort another option, but he'd probably get destroyed by May/Lever anyway

Would require us to abandon the long bomb into the F50, but I like it!

Hahaha I love when people reference historical performance when involving themselves in the debate around his current relevance. Wow can't believe three-peat Hawthorn didn't smash us last week. What he did 3,4,5,6 years ago is completely irrelevant to his value now.
I responded to a query about his career. It wasn’t a debate and it didn’t involve you. Not sure why you even commented.

I think if we have Menegola play at half forward, with Henry swung forward and Miers and Close buzzing around, that it'll at least provide some interesting matchups that they might not structure up well against.

Menegola and Henry are fantastic marks overhead, and both around 6'3, with Hawkins and then Miers and Close, could actually be a good dynamic. Would rather that than Jenkins in any case. Fort another option, but he'd probably get destroyed by May/Lever anyway
Maybe Fort has to ruck against the giant Gawn and push Ryhs forward to keep Lever , Tomlinson and May busy.

Dees are an inside 50 team and are well organized defensively. The likely scenario for this match is that the Dees win in out of the centre and get repeat entries into their F50 . Cats will chip it around and slow it down enabling the Dees to get set up behind the ball. Gawn will push back and block Tommy's space as more numbers flood our F50 forcing him to lead out onto the boundary line.
Over to you Scott!

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Dees are an inside 50 team and are well organized defensively. The likely scenario for this match is that the Dees win in out of the centre and get repeat entries into their F50 . Cats will chip it around and slow it down enabling the Dees to get set up behind the ball. Gawn will push back and block Tommy's space as more numbers flood our F50 forcing him to lead out onto the boundary line.
Over to you Scott!

Someone tactically kicks Gawn in the shins, causing him to capsize like a giant maple tree, and suddenly leading lanes open everywhere

Profit.

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Maybe Fort has to ruck against the giant Gawn and push Ryhs forward to keep Lever , Tomlinson and May busy.

Meanwhile the smalls run down to midfield to chase a kick.
If they're so important that we load up with smalls why aren't they kicking the goals?
Not good enough is the answer, we should try an extra tall kid or Jenkins is my
preference to 4/5 smalls plus Hawkins.
Doesn't work.

tenderwarrior

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2003
Launceston
AFL Club
Geelong
great thing about MOC's game was not only did he take care of Mitchell, he went back and helped the defense too!
Who would have thought watching Merrick's first AFL game back in 2017 (after only 4 aussie rules career games in total mind you!) that he would become the player he is. One of my favourites now, and I just love how composed and tough he is, but also one of our best field kicks. I love seeing him further up the ground, as he has already shown that he can lock down a premier opposing mid and still get the ball himself. Give him a little time and I think his creative traits will come to the fore, making him an offensive weapon to go with his already well-established defensive skills.

BigCat1

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
I love the go quick or Melb will kill us rhetoric.

Melb are the pinup team for going slow. Up there with the Saints and Ess. They aren’t a huge pressure team. They zone, won’t man up and have one trick which is huge fwd half territory advantages which hopefully leads to turnover scores.

control the ball. Give them less chance to go inside 50. They never kick a big score on fwd talent alone. Their defenders and ruckman prey on quick high balls. They have egos everywhere in their midfield and defenders who refuse to play a team game or pick up a man when required.

We may lose bc that’s the nature of football but I’d be more than happy to win exactly the same as last week. We are far less chance to win a run and gun game.

Frappe

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2006
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Over to you Scott!

Saints had them on the ropes early in the game with quicker ball movement and kept it away from Lever and May.

foodles05

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
I responded to a query about his career. It wasn’t a debate and it didn’t involve you. Not sure why you even commented.

Haha so you are saying a message board is a series of individual discussions that people not directly involved shouldn't comment on. Wow thanks for showing me the error of my ways. I thought a message board was a forum where everyone was free to comment on everything. I thought the last place someone would attempt to have a private conversation was on a message board on the internet but turns out I am wrong.

foodles05

Club Legend
Jun 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
All that does is prove how biased and biggoted you are, and l say that in the nicest possible way! Lol!!!
But seriously you can apply that gammit to all players and dimiss them by choice.
Btw thanks for bothering to reply!
He is an enigma to some according to their knock.

That's absolutely true but I am not trying to justify his inclusion based on kicking a certain number of goals in a practice match where we smash the opposition. When I do and don't accept that my caveats should apply equally to other players then you can call me bigot. Until such time it is unwarranted and ill-informed. Oh I would also add that those caveats IMHO become much more important when assessing a player who when given his opportunity in the 1s, since coming to the club, has certainly not done anything to quell the serious question marks I and others have over his ability to compete at the level. Furthermore than caveats are also more important when you are looking a player who unquestionably is on the slide when it comes to his career. Although you may argue he is yet to reach his peak or still there but I disagree.

Therefore if we are looking at young players who haven't reached their peak and what they can offer the caveats around performance at the lower levels aren't as important.

So perhaps after all of that you could point out where I am so wedded to a belief as to make me bigotted?

Nov 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Who would have thought watching Merrick's first AFL game back in 2017 (after only 4 aussie rules career games in total mind you!) that he would become the player he is. One of my favourites now, and I just love how composed and tough he is, but also one of our best field kicks. I love seeing him further up the ground, as he has already shown that he can lock down a premier opposing mid and still get the ball himself. Give him a little time and I think his creative traits will come to the fore, making him an offensive weapon to go with his already well-established defensive skills.

I still remember the talk from Ireland when he first came over here being that he was a generational hope for them, one of the best young talents they've seen for a long time. Only question was could that talent transfer into AFL footy.
I think we can comfortably say... yes, indeed it has.

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics

I had serious doubts early on over his kicking - never thought he would get within a bulls roar of being acceptable.
So , so happy to be proven wrong. He must work incredibly hard as it's now a strength :thumbsu:
Loving his transition into a tagging mid with an attacking mindset - backs himself to take possession when he's ensured his opponent is out of the picture.
Great move by the coaches - huge win if he can negate his opponent and continue to accumulate clearances and possessions himself.

TheYid

Club Legend
May 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Colorado Avalanche, Rockies
We've won both of our victories by sheer hanging on for dear life. Neither convincing.

Stanley usually plays well against Gawn and the Dees. But he looked a little proppy by the second quarter vs. Hawks. We could get our colours lowered in the ruck and midfield badly this time.

I'd say we're in for the inevitable drubbing this week unless we figure out a way to win it out of the centre- which I can't see very happening without some kind of unforeseen factor playing a role.

We have been carrying too many guys this year, Dahlhaus, Constable for 2nd halves, Miers, Rohan they have all underperformed, even Selwood to some extent, if we have to carry these guys each week its going to be a rough season, against the good sides we will be exposed badly.
Miers got plenty of it and got the scoreboard last week. He was quiet earlier in the year but not alone

Ah yes I keep forgetting Sam is back. That's a solid dynamic for me.

Would require us to abandon the long bomb into the F50, but I like it!
Was listening to an interview with Craig Jennings and he was talking about how the new rules have changed what the most dangerous forward entry strategy looks like. The way he sees it you should be aiming to take marks 55 out off a short kick to make them defend the whole of f50 plus the goal line. Might be good advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back