Preview Geelong v Melbourne Sun Jun 28 3pm**** @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How the fu** didn't Bews get dropped for those attacking runs off the backline in the 4th quarter.

Can you imagine playing Bews & Clark on opposing back flanks & giving them both the freedom to play attacking football from the backline - we may actually get some run & drive from the backline again

Narkle got dropped, and Clark can't get in, because Scott doesn't see the importance of developing the kids.

Our side will soon be gutted in relatively quick time when players like Taylor, Ablett, Selwood, Danger, and Hawkins all go, and who do we have ready to step up in their place??

We are NOT premiership contenders, and this season is kind of shot anyway, so why the hell don't we bring some kids in and get game time under their belts?

They can't learn, grow, shine without game time, and there's only one place they can get that now - the seniors.

Instead, slow / lumbering / unfit players like Hendo and Steven, and guys who struggle to get near the ball a la Zuthrie and Atkins, have been preferenced. How does that advance the quality of our senior side??

Meantime, Hawkins looks like he could fall off the edge tomorrow, and Jenkins / Rohan are no more than spakfilla.......we could end up in a real mess if we don't prioritise our kids, and do it NOW.
If we lose a few more soon the team should become
O'Connor Blicavs Henry
Stewart Kolo Clark
Duncan Constable Parfitt
Dahlhaus Hawkins Miers
Ablett Ratagolea Cockatoo/Rohan
Narkle Fogarty Taylor/Kreuger Steven/Stephens

Hopefully we will get on a winning streak but we need to sort the wheat from the chaff.

We also need some energy in the 22. Fast starts win games in Covid era.

While we still have premiership stars we need to have youngsters in the team under their wing before it is too late.

What about the thought that Steven wont go to the hub - so they are playing him now and will get Narkle, Parfitt, Chook, Clark et al in when they go to Perth.

Bet Clark, HT, Narkle all go home. Steven stays in Geelong

GO Catters

ps - they cant actually hug their friends and family in the first 2 weeks but can after it.

Last edited:
Can you imagine playing Bews & Clark on opposing back flanks & giving them both the freedom to play attacking football from the backline - we may actually get some run & drive from the backline again
We don’t do that around here. That’s dangerous thinking. Slow, defence first has failed us over and over again, so why change what clearly isn’t working. Just silly to think otherwise.

If we lose a few more soon the team should become
O'Connor Blicavs Henry
Stewart Kolo Clark
Duncan Constable Parfitt
Dahlhaus Hawkins Miers
Ablett Ratagolea Cockatoo/Rohan
Narkle Fogarty Taylor/Kreuger Steven/Stephens

Hopefully we will get on a winning streak but we need to sort the wheat from the chaff.

We also need some energy in the 22. Fast starts win games in Covid era.

While we still have premiership stars we need to have youngsters in the team under their wing before it is too late.
Thats the team we should take to Perth IMO, except swap Gaz for Taheny.
Get the young guys stuck together and bond for a few weeks. Try and build a team for the future.

This year is so weird i thought this was a good year just to get games into some young guys and see how they go Schlensog Kennerley Kreuger Stephen Evans Taheny Close Jarvis give one 2 games if doing nothing give next kid 2 games and so on...by rd8 when we can not make finals i hope they do this then

What about the thought that Steven wont go to the hub - so they are playing him now and will get Narkle, Parfitt, Chook, Clark et al in when they go to Perth.

Bet Clark, HT, Narkle all go home. Steven stays in Geelong

GO Catters

ps - they cant actually hug their friends and family in the first 2 weeks but can after it.

yeah that's good thought actually.
narkle and Steven were both poor last week it was a marginal call anyway it won't make or break this week and Steven needs the gametime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think with his recent spate of issues it might make sense for him to stay home where he can be close to support.

On the other hand, maybe an extended break from Melbourne/Geelong might be just what the doctor ordered

He, and the GFC, are in a spot of bother if he needs to be getting out of Geelong already

And why would he not join the hub?
Whilst I get into my nuclear shelter to withstand the array of s**t about to rain down on me for posting this, date I say his mental health.

And by that, I quite specifically mean the altered environment that a 4 week hub would be for him changing from his normal routine like seeing his daughter etc.
Spending 4 weeks away from home is not part of the regular AFL schedule not has it ever been done before.
I’d contend that it could have far more reaching effects on him than another not of his disposition.

Given he changed clubs to be geographically closer to family and home.. a month away that was not part of any prior agreement of arrangement on his experience ( so an unscheduled event of this nature) could be detrimental. So he stays home

Go Catters

Whilst I get into my nuclear shelter to withstand the array of sh*t about to rain down on me for posting this, date I say his mental health.

And by that, I quite specifically mean the altered environment that a 4 week hub would be for him changing from his normal routine like seeing his daughter etc.
Spending 4 weeks away from home is not part of the regular AFL schedule not has it ever been done before.
I’d contend that it could have far more reaching effects on him than another not of his disposition.

Given he changed clubs to be geographically closer to family and home.. a month away that was not part of any prior agreement of arrangement on his experience ( so an unscheduled event of this nature) could be detrimental. So he stays home

Go Catters

Ok...... On the proviso he runs his arse off doing laps around Geelong for the whole 4 weeks so when the boys come back he looks less like a blown tyre.

We don’t do that around here. That’s dangerous thinking. Slow, defence first has failed us over and over again, so why change what clearly isn’t working. Just silly to think otherwise.
I know Bews isn't everyone's favourite player, and plenty would love to see him dropped from the side & maybe even the team, but I think that's cause all too often he's seen as a defender first type player but he has the ability to offer more than that

I know some here talk about a comfortableness within sections of the playing group, but could that also be within the coaching group?

That includes someone like Scarlett who has started in a part-time role in 2014 & been full-time since 2016, which is when he took over the backline. It's hard to fault his work with them in terms of defensive capabilities which have generally been pretty damn good. I'm curious about his work with them though in terms of creating attack & drive from the backline - is there instructions or suggestions at some level in the coaching ranks that it's not our playing style, or is it maybe that Scarlett doesn't believe he has the personal for that game style or a combination of both

I know Bews isn't everyone's favourite player, and plenty would love to see him dropped from the side & maybe even the team, but I think that's cause all too often he's seen as a defender first type player but he has the ability to offer more than that

I know some here talk about a comfortableness within sections of the playing group, but could that also be within the coaching group?

That includes someone like Scarlett who has started in a part-time role in 2014 & been full-time since 2016, which is when he took over the backline. It's hard to fault his work with them in terms of defensive capabilities which have generally been pretty damn good. I'm curious about his work with them though in terms of creating attack & drive from the backline - is there instructions or suggestions at some level in the coaching ranks that it's not our playing style, or is it maybe that Scarlett doesn't believe he has the personal for that game style or a combination of both
I think Scarlett likes to protect his backline at all costs. That's why we do what we do.
If you go slow and safe coming out, it can't come back in fast.
And it's why our backline can look a million bucks with only one good one on one player. (Who sometimes doesn't even play down there)
But the times when the heat really goes up and everyone can't get back to help it really falls apart. In spectacular fashion too.
Maybe he has too much say? Maybe he's too friendly with them and wants to make them look good?
Maybe he has not much say? I dunno.

Ok...... On the proviso he runs his arse off doing laps around Geelong for the whole 4 weeks so when the boys come back he looks less like a blown tyre.
im not sayong he cant get flogged while hes here

GO Catters

The stupid thing is that Narkle’s best position is high half forward. He is dangerous around goal and clean with his hands. He gets lost in midfield. They only see him as an inside mid.

Totally ridiculous to play Atkins ahead of him in that role. And Steven, let’s wait and see. Looks a terrible call but he might turn it around.

Whilst I get into my nuclear shelter to withstand the array of sh*t about to rain down on me for posting this, date I say his mental health.

Go Catters
Then don't play him this week or next put some run and game time into those that will travel and then I'm on board with leaving him home.

The stupid thing is that Narkle’s best position is high half forward. He is dangerous around goal and clean with his hands. He gets lost in midfield. They only see him as an inside mid.

Totally ridiculous to play Atkins ahead of him in that role. And Steven, let’s wait and see. Looks a terrible call but he might turn it around.

Stupid thing is that the need and benefit of playing guys in their best position isn't always acknowledged by our coaches

Go Catters
All mental health is different so unless someone know's what is wrong with Steven everyone is just guessing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back