Preview Geelong V North, Sat 2 July 2022 @ KP 7:25 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
He played last time Hawkins and Cameron were in the side, so he could do it again
Did Stanley miss that match, meaning it was Blicavs rucking & Neale providing some support

BotsMaster

2022 Sep Premiers
Jan 26, 2009
Cheat Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Everton, Cardinals
That may be where he ends up next year...

The frustration is that you see the good & the great from him in one passage but then tear your hair out in the next

There was a passage in the second quarter where I just fell in love with Dempsey, and it was the sort of thing that his coaches & teammates would love seeing - 2nd qtr, defensive side of the wing he attempts to handball to a teammate but misses. He doesn't stop, instead he follows up the loose ball not just once but goes in for a third time when a Richmond player gets involved - yes he made an error but he put in the second & third efforts to stay involved, & try to correct the error was really promising to see

Compare that with Narkle in the third, the ball in our forward 50 with Richmond trying to clear the ball - he goes in with his first effort, but Richmond get a handball away and Narkle turns his back on the play... It was super frustrating, and just want to see him pull the finger out & show some urgency
Surely the coaches have been having these discussions with him and telling him what to do in these situations.

Kitcat

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2019
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah, but structurally I don't think it really worked that game. Similar to when Sav was in the side. Unless the extra tall can do a bulk of the ruck work, the role can be a bit unclear.
We have a problem in the forward line with dealing with the long kick in to a pack. Hawk can't jump. Cameron can take a pack mark but not often, and he likes to rove the pack. Rohan can jump but often can't quite hold on to the ball, probably as he isn't that tall. That is why Sav was kept in the team but frustrated us with his lack of possessions and limited ruck skills. Neale could do Sav's role but the club will prefer Sav's experience, particularly as finals approach.
If Ceglar got fit and in form, perhaps they could alternate with him and Stanley in the forwards, with Blics continuing his current role. On occasions this season, the ball has easily pinged back out of our forward line when we have been outmarked. Against Richmond, there seemed to me to be a lot of times when our kick came into the 50 and dropped into their arms with our players 5-10 metres behind, without even creating a pack contest.

moond0g

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Could throw Close in there as well, a sub fifty gamer who has it all over Kolodjashnij in terms of footy IQ (well most of the team does to be honest)
Negates his direct opponent more often then not, but heck, your hearts in your mouth whenever he has the ball; I'd like to find a stat that shows how many goals he's cost us over the journey.

It's a good question you pose, does the good outweigh the bad, I guess in the eyes of the MC the answer is yes, guess opinion would be much more divided among the fans though.

MC obviously think so, considering he has essentially never missed when available.

I agree though. He's actually a pretty reasonable defender, but offers nothing the other way. It's just you can't carry too many of these players in your side.

The issue I have is, if you're a purely defensive player, then you need to be stopping one of the better opposition forwards. If he were a fraction taller and a true KPD, then I think I'd have no problem with him. But as it is he is a decent matchup for say Jack Riewoldt or Darling, who are a tad smaller, but you'd never play him on the King Brothers, McKay, Lynch etc. So he's offering nothing offensively and also isn't stopping the oppo's best forward. In saying that we don't have any other proper KPD to play ahead of him, so we might just have to suck it up for a while.

Oh well if the club don't think of the future they should look at leaving
That's bit of an extreme response to what was said, and not sure it's actually relevant when pointing out that Neale's debut came in a match when we were missing our #1 ruck, and thus already going in shorter

If we're going in with all of Stanley, Blicavs, Hawkins & Cameron, we may be a bit too tall based on the structure we've played over recent months with Blicavs as the second ruck

But if one of Hawkins or Cameron are to miss/rested/managed, then we should be getting Neale in

standupand

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2019
Meanjin
AFL Club
Geelong
Oh well if the club don't think of the future they should look at leaving
I dunno. That can be the case if players feel like they're not getting the opportunity to develop or to take the next step. I don't think that's the case with Neale or with many of the young players really.

Playing consistently in the position he trains for is probably the key thing - whether that's vfl or afl.

What annoys me more is when a young player is brought in for just one game and then immediately dropped. That doesn't really contribute much to either development or confidence imo.

Drunkcat

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2018
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
That's bit of an extreme response to what was said, and not sure it's actually relevant when pointing out that Neale's debut came in a match when we were missing our #1 ruck, and thus already going in shorter

If we're going in with all of Stanley, Blicavs, Hawkins & Cameron, we may be a bit too tall based on the structure we've played over recent months with Blicavs as the second ruck

But if one of Hawkins or Cameron are to miss/rested/managed, then we should be getting Neale in
I am just getting frustrated that we are going to do the same thing, keep playing all our older players, get to the finals and they are cooked again...it so looks like we are going down the same path

I am just getting frustrated that we are going to do the same thing, keep playing all our older players, get to the finals and they are cooked again...it so looks like we are going down the same path
We haven't even named the team for this week yet, so we may well see a few senior players managed this week with some youngsters getting a chance

If it's the same ole team at 6:30, then feel free to melt

moond0g

Club Legend
Oct 6, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
We have a problem in the forward line with dealing with the long kick in to a pack. Hawk can't jump. Cameron can take a pack mark but not often, and he likes to rove the pack. Rohan can jump but often can't quite hold on to the ball, probably as he isn't that tall. That is why Sav was kept in the team but frustrated us with his lack of possessions and limited ruck skills. Neale could do Sav's role but the club will prefer Sav's experience, particularly as finals approach.
If Ceglar got fit and in form, perhaps they could alternate with him and Stanley in the forwards, with Blics continuing his current role. On occasions this season, the ball has easily pinged back out of our forward line when we have been outmarked. Against Richmond, there seemed to me to be a lot of times when our kick came into the 50 and dropped into their arms with our players 5-10 metres behind, without even creating a pack contest.
Agree. Hawk and Cameron are guns, but neither are taking big pack marks often, which is why they like Esava. Probably can't carry him though.

It was noticeable against Richmond that when we bombed it forward it often got marked and rebounded. Yet when Richmond did the same thing Lynch was able to mark a few, or at least bring it to ground.

Rohan can crash a pack, so it will improve when he's back, but like you say doesn't actually mark them as much. If they think Stanley can do it, then maybe we play Blics in the ruck more and send him forward more. I'm just not sure about bringing in another tall to facilitate this (Esava or Ceglar), we'd probs be too top heavy will all of them.

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics

Couldn't agree more Kitcat
I think we need a 3rd tall marking option forward if we are to be a threat in September.
As you say Hawk doesn't jump and Cameron is playing further up the ground ( and is still a huge scoring threat). Need someone to fly in the pack and clunk it or bring the ball to ground.

We know what Rohan can do in that role , Sav hasn't impressed when given his chance.
I'd like to get a look at Neale or Ceglar in that role supporting Stanley - check that out over the next 8 games and see what we unearth.
That could allow us to play Blitz on the wing with the option of dropping back into defence or relief rucking if needed.

PeasFC

Team Captain
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I hope so too. But my measure of changes this year has been based on activity by Geelong social media team - and we have seen zero of Dempsey this week. I am comfortable with him developing the rest of the year in vfl but now focussed on hoping they increase his time in the midfield.

I was frustrated on Sunday as he only played good time through there in the second and third quarters where he amassed 18 good possessions over that “half”. He then languishEd in the goal square for the last quarter whilst they played the “big guns” through the midfield and the ball lived in our back half.

understand with chalcraft (who is good). Higgins, Dal, Stephens, Frank that they have others ahead of Ollie in terms of midfield time but hoping they try and prioritise his development in that area.

I’ve seen this theory kicked about on here a bit. Can we please do away with the idea that the social media team has been tipped off into what is going to happen regarding selection! There is zero chance they have been directed to put photos up of x or given an insight into who is in the frame from MC.

It’s far more likely they are just doing their job and guessing we would want to see pics of stephens, and players returning from injury etc etc. They would be no more in the know than the people from the afl who write the “in the mix” articles.

PeasFC

Team Captain
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Couldn't agree more Kitcat
I think we need a 3rd tall marking option forward if we are to be a threat in September.
As you say Hawk doesn't jump and Cameron is playing further up the ground ( and is still a huge scoring threat). Need someone to fly in the pack and clunk it or bring the ball to ground.

We know what Rohan can do in that role , Sav hasn't impressed when given his chance.
I'd like to get a look at Neale or Ceglar in that role supporting Stanley - check that out over the next 8 games and see what we unearth.
That could allow us to play Blitz on the wing with the option of dropping back into defence or relief rucking if needed.

Really like this post!

Henry playing fwd last week showed that MC probably feel like we need another option down there.

My gut feel is they think Rohan can do this and offer a bit at ground level. I like simplifying his role a bit - pressure at ground level, and half contests from long entries.

I do feel like they will try sav in the back 8 weeks. I know he’s no fan favourite but he’s probably more ready to impact a finals series than Neale is and for this reason I wouldn’t be surprised to see him get a crack. Ultimately I think a combination of Rohan and Henry as a swing man would be my preffered set up. Blics has to play wing / second ruck.

Sire of Claude

Club Legend
Mar 18, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
Defenders always take more marks than forwards, especially when players further afield don't look for targets. Long bombs frequently don't come off.

The coach who can solve this problem can win the flag.

The captain is out managed

Round 16 Team​

INS: Patrick Dangerfield, Gary Rohan

OUTS: Tom Stewart (Suspended), Joel Selwood (Managed), Cooper Stephens (Medi Sub)

BacksGary RohanSam De KoningJed Bews
Half BacksJack HenryMark BlicavsJake Kolodjashnij
CentrelineMitch DuncanJeremy CameronIsaac Smith
Half ForwardsGryan MiersTom HawkinsMax Holmes
ForwardsBrad ClosePatrick DangerfieldTyson Stengle
FollowersRhys StanleyCameron GuthrieTom Atkins
InterchangeZach GuthrieMark O'ConnorZach Tuohy
Sam Menegola
EmergenciesCooper StephensShaun HigginsQuinton Narkle
Shannon Neale

I like them giving Selwood a spell. I wonder if the plan with Danger is to have him blow out some cobwebs at 80% before a bigger game next week? Either way hopefully that's the last we hear of his calf troubles for a while.
He's pushed Cameron out of the forward line, with Jezza named in the centre line - will be interesting to see where he lines up and what sort of TOG they're looking at for him

Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
That may be where he ends up next year...

The frustration is that you see the good & the great from him in one passage but then tear your hair out in the next

There was a passage in the second quarter where I just fell in love with Dempsey, and it was the sort of thing that his coaches & teammates would love seeing - 2nd qtr, defensive side of the wing he attempts to handball to a teammate but misses. He doesn't stop, instead he follows up the loose ball not just once but goes in for a third time when a Richmond player gets involved - yes he made an error but he put in the second & third efforts to stay involved, & try to correct the error was really promising to see

Compare that with Narkle in the third, the ball in our forward 50 with Richmond trying to clear the ball - he goes in with his first effort, but Richmond get a handball away and Narkle turns his back on the play... It was super frustrating, and just want to see him pull the finger out & show some urgency

Dempsey just has immense hunger for the ball. Will run through five brick walls to get it. I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back