Preview Geelong V North, Sat 2 July 2022 @ KP 7:25 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Saturday night we had a storm to a lead, fall behind & kick a late goal win against a seemingly modern day rival in Richmond - but the vast majority of talk since the first quarter has been the poorly executed bump by Stewart & the endless discussion of how long he'll be spending on the sidelines

One thing that's been somewhat lost during that riveting discussion is that we actually have a match this coming Saturday when we return home to KP to face a team that seems inevitable to become the Tassie Kangaroos ;) in the coming years, but still North for now...

With their loss yesterday, North became the first team to lose 10 straight matches by 40+ points, with their closest losing margin over that streak being 47 points - so clearly a team not in good form, but also a team we don't want to take too lightly as this is a chance for a percentage booster if we put the foot down from the first bounce & don't let up, especially with a couple of tough matches ahead

We know for certain there'll be one change for the weekend with Stewart primed to go through a heavy training load while missing the next period of time, but who'll take his spot in the side - we keep hearing that Dangerfield is nearing a return, while Rohan missed on the weekend due to illness so would likely be in the frame to return if he's recovered...Do we take this opportunity to rest other potentially sore bodies and rotate a few alternative options through the seniors, or go hell for leather & give them nothing?

And thanks to Kingy, we know the answer to the important question as to what coloured shorts we'd be wearing

Isaac Norm Smith

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
I consider this a very important game for us. We really need to turn up and put these guys to the sword.

Looking at the ladder, percentage is going to be vital, and could well be the difference in our pursuit of top 2 / top 4.

This is an opportunity to really boost our percentage.

Tassie Roos. Hope you’ve got your flak jacket on cats_09 !!

Is that for Aussie Rules fans from Tassie or North?

Besides, surely we aren't going to encounter fans as precious as we've just had to deal with last week...

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
I almost feel like there's nothing to be gained in games like these.

Everyone expects a 60+ win and will be disappointed if we don't get it.

Seems like a classic 'Geelong in third gear and win by 35' kinda game myself.

CHAWKTS

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2022
AFL Club
Geelong
Going to test the “we won’t hesitate” to manage players…trading off being disrespectful, still 8 weeks to go after and need for % boost. But if they are true to the (constant) call out of resting then need to do at least 2 senior players for this game? Have a 5 DAY! Break to thursday night against melbourne. Followed by Carlton on a longer break. But two big games where we want to flex. So need senior players at full strengt.

Surely Hawke gets a rest (for Neale or Sav) but maybe also Smith (can move Holmes back to wing) and I would do one other midfielder.

Early pick (what I would do not what I think will happen. Will need to watch the social media this week before forming final view!)

I wouldn’t be surprised if we have at least one “sick” this week so to reduce the arrogant look of 3 managed

out. Stewart, Miers (ommitted) Hawke, Smith and one of Selwood/guthrie (3 managed or sick)

in. Stephens, danger, Rohan, Neale, Dempsey (Frank or Miers sub….I would get Miers a game in vfl)

to be honest we shouldn’t lose much against a North team…. Would then have well rested 3 great players back for melbourne.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
NFI of changes but
I almost feel like there's nothing to be gained in games like these.

Everyone expects a 60+ win and will be disappointed if we don't get it.

Seems like a classic 'Geelong in third gear and win by 35' kinda game myself.
Exactly what it will be with only a 5 day brake before taking on the top of the table and premiership favorites Melbourne.

I would be looking at:

In: Rohan, Neale, Stephens
Out: Stewart, Hawkins, Selwood (latter two managed)

But suspect they will look to give Higgins and Ratugolea game time.

CHAWKTS

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2022
AFL Club
Geelong
In: Stephens, Rohan

Out: Stewart, Selwood.
You are probably right - but I really really hope you are not. that they have the courage to rest 2 to 3 not just 1.

5 days to turn around to Melbourne which is winnable at home but only if we are at our best

Interestingly Melbourne have exactly the same choice….playing adelaide in adelaide (a little harder than us) on Saturday afternoon. Wonder if they have a few sneaky outs this week too?

bellpark

All Australian
Aug 18, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Id like to see Atkins repeat in the midfield to get ready for the tougher teams coming up - he makes a Richmond like difference to the scrap and grit in our midfield, which I love. Think we should bite the bullet on Miers - he is a good runner and tackler, but his disposal is poor and worse under pressure. Will not cut it against Melb/Carlton/Freo/Brissie pressure. Can kick a goal, but only if its within 35 metres. Close and Stengle are locks. Also, may be unpopular on here, but I think Zac G has to stay in the team.

You are probably right - but I really really hope you are not. that they have the courage to rest 2 to 3 not just 1.

5 days to turn around to Melbourne which is winnable at home but only if we are at our best

Interestingly Melbourne have exactly the same choice….playing adelaide in adelaide (a little harder than us) on Saturday afternoon. Wonder if they have a few sneaky outs this week too?
If it were up to me I'd be dropping Kolodjashnij and O'Connor and bringing in Dempsey and playing Henry back.

Playing finals with both Henry and Kolodjashnij in the backline Is a mistake. They need to make the call on one and do it now imo.

We can't afford to carry more than 1 defender who is terrible under pressure with ball in hand and I trust Jack more.

Phipppppa

Club Legend
Jan 8, 2022
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong by 35- just cruising to an easy win but north kick a few in the last 10 minutes as we switch off.

In: Rohan, Stephens, Neale, Sav
Out: Stewart, Hawk, Selwood, Kolo

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
I consider this a very important game for us. We really need to turn up and put these guys to the sword.

Looking at the ladder, percentage is going to be vital, and could well be the difference in our pursuit of top 2 / top 4.

This is an opportunity to really boost our percentage.
Yes, it is worrying that we back off with large leads. I can't help to think that it be teaching to boys(at least the younger ones) to it okay to not give it 110% for 4 quarters. I know there are rationalizations, but it's so important that it isn't something they can slip into during a game. Maybe in the past we've had players who too easily became passengers in the middle of a game. Crush them from bounce to siren.

Sep 7, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Mavs, West Ham
Sav?

Ugh.

Whether you rate Sav or not, he's clearly viewed as best 25 material by the coaches. Hawkins seemed a bit off on Saturday and we want him as fresh as possible with Dees and Blues around the corner. I think Hawkins rested for Sav is close to a certainty.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Whether you rate Sav or not, he's clearly viewed as best 25 material by the coaches. Hawkins seemed a bit off on Saturday and we want him as fresh as possible with Dees and Blues around the corner. I think Hawkins rested for Sav is close to a certainty.

Probably right, but I don't see it.

I reckon Neale is a better prospect on the little I've seen of him, and see Sav as being a temporary 'he'll do' replacement for Hawkins.

I hope he proves me wrong because I want every GFC player to succeed, but I just haven't seen any improvement from him over the last couple of years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back