Game Day Geelong V Richmond 2020 AFL Grand Final

Who Will Win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My heart wants Geelong to win, my head says it'll be Richmond. Sorry, I know I've been 'that guy' through the finals series that hasn't tipped Geelong, and I don't think I can change now. They've done an amazing job to reach the GF, but they've been Richmond's b*tch for five years now and I don't think that'll change tonight.

Richmond by 6 pts.
Sorry mate, I had to give you that little thumbs down thing because I have OCD and my brain told me I must if the Cats were to win!

Good luck today everyone!

Firstly that is a terrific OP dazbroncos. Well done.

They say the wet will help Richmond, but their game is setup on taking intercept marks and rebounding quickly, they will struggle to do this in the wet. If the rains do come, we need to make sure we dominate the clearances, that is where they struggle!

Where was it in the last couple of seasons Hawkins kicked a bag in the pouring rain? Might have been Brisbane. Someone who remembers the details of individual games better than me will know.

Wasn't meant to get this far without Tim Kelly

Who?

KILL THEM FARKEN!!!
Pretty much sums up how I feel.

I'd like to see Chris Scott with another premiership. I won't pretend I haven't lost my mind at times over him in the last few seasons, but I'd like to see him with one that doesn't have people saying he inherited it.

Most of all I really want Selwood to become a premiership captain. He deserves that.

What are you thinking? I want to tape and watch it unspoiled 3h later so it becomes an afternoon game. Can I do it though? Not so sure.

1:30am is just a crappy time. I'd like to wait to watch it on Saturday afternoon. I'm distracted though and time seems to be dragging.

My heart wants Geelong to win, my head says it'll be Richmond. Sorry, I know I've been 'that guy' through the finals series that hasn't tipped Geelong, and I don't think I can change now. They've done an amazing job to reach the GF, but they've been Richmond's b*tch for five years now and I don't think that'll change tonight.

Richmond by 6 pts.
Jebus Blakey if it's that close and I think it will be at least give us the benefit of the doubt.Cats win in a 09 type finish.

Good luck today, Catters. The Ablett narrative isn’t much of interest to me given the little master has already got a couple premierships under the belt, but certainly this premiership would be vindication for the prolonged level of consistency of your side in the upper echelon of teams over the last decade. I do like Scotty and the Cats, and beating those arrogant flogs from *unt Road would make it all the more sweeter. Good luck!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well this is it ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. The day that we never thought we'd see 6 months ago when the season was suspended, and a day we had doubts many times over the journey that we'd even be participating in. But yet here we are. Getting there is only half the battle though. Like the boys have said multiple times in the last week, the journey isn't over yet. Over the past fortnight we've seen a steely resolve from the guys - a single-minded belief that this can be OUR year and the players have stepped up to the plate shoulder to shoulder and have absolutely battered our opposition into submission. Nathan Buckley himself admitted his soldiers had given up hope so relentless our commitment was, and this was after they had travelled the width of the country and pulled off one of the hardest tasks in football - beating the Eagles in Perth. Then the following week a well rested Brisbane wilted and faded at the onslaught. Hopefully that juggernaut rolls on for another week.

The 22 players who will be representing us proudly this evening have travelled many weird and wonderful paths to get to this stage. Jed Bews has often been maligned on this board for not doing enough, but in recent weeks he has channelled another premiership defender David Wojcinski by making dashing runs out from defence as he adds an attacking string to his bow. Harry Taylor defies Father Time and although he is slowing down, his footy IQ and experience means he is often in the right spot at the right time. Will this be his final game? Who knows, but boy, what a servant of the club he has been. Jake Kolodjashnij is another player who is often maligned here, but after dismantling Charlie Cameron's motorbike after quarter time last week, he could have found his post-career vocation - motor mechanic.

Lachie Henderson - man, what a story. Here is a guy who 12 months ago was on the footballing scrap heap, but due to a quirk of fate, he found himself back on the list and now finds himself in the middle of the park for his first grand final at this level. What a warrior. Mark Blicavs - The human Swiss Army Knife. Can play everywhere on the park - defence, ruck, wing, midfield. And is an absolute star in all of them. An absolute champion who will be a crucial weapon for us. Tom Stewart - the reincarnation of Matthew Scarlett and Corey Enright in the one package. Here's hoping Richmond do the same as Brisbane and allow him to roam loose in defence, as nothing will get past him if they do.

Mitch Duncan - What a man. What a season. Easily the best wingman in the league. His gut running and elite disposal by foot will make him a vital weapon this evening. Joel Selwood - Nothing would be more fitting than seeing this bloke lift the cup in his 200th game as captain. An absolute warrior who, like the Black Knight in Monty Python, would still want to continue to fight on even if he was missing a few limbs. Sam Menegola - Like Mitch Duncan, has been roving the wings with aplomb all season, and alongside Mitch and Guthrie, his improvement has allowed us to utilise other players in more dangerous areas of the ground.

Luke Dahlhaus - The quiet achiever who provides defensive pressure and can also hit the scoreboard when needed. Is part of the reason opposition sides have struggled to bring the ball forward out of defence with any purpose over the last few weeks. Gary Rohan - Often maligned, but only needs a few touches to make an impact. Was missed the last time we played this mob as his pace and overhead marking could've stretched the Tigers defence a lot. Gryan Miers - Last time this bloke played in a Geelong side in a grand final, he kicked 7 goals in a BOG performance for the Falcons in a close win. He mightn't have such an impact this season, but he could pop up with a goal or two and be the difference again.

Mark O'Connor - A bloke who left his homeland 4 years ago without having kicked an oval ball in anger is now one step away from being a premiership player. In that short time he has proven to be a reliable defender and could completely shut out a dangerous Richmond small tonight and not have his contribution noticed by anyone but the coaches and the astute judges on the Geelong board, such is his no-nonsense approach to the game. Tom Hawkins - This bloke will be hell bent on rectifying where he left us down last year. The best key forward for the last 5 years will be hard to stop tonight, whether it is wet or dry. Gary Ablett - Gaz, Son of God, GOAT. No matter what you call him, he will go down as one of, if not the best player, to have ever played the game, and is easily the best player of our generation. Here's hoping he brings his storied career to a close with a 3rd Premiership medal hanging around his neck. Surely the football Gods wouldn't allow any other outcome, would they?

Rhys Stanley - A much maligned player who has proven himself to be one of our most important players. Was sorely missed the last time we played the Tigers, his ability to get forward and present another target could prove critical as Richmond try to push half their side, a runner the boot-studder and a property steward into the hole in front of Hawkins to quell his influence. Should he pluck a few and kick straight early, it will cast doubts in Richmond defenders' minds. Patrick Dangerfield - The embodiment of the steely resolve I spoke about earlier. The prime example of this was against Collingwood after he kicked those two bananas from the pocket. Where other players would do a lap of honour and high-five everyone in the front row afterwards, the only gesture of celebration Paddy gave was a single finger in the air and a brief smirk. You can tell he will do everything in his power this evening to help drag the guys over the line. Cam Guthrie - The bloke who won't need a costume to dress up as Tom Hanks from Castaway for Halloween is also having a career best season. The best bet to quell Dusty's influence in the midfield, and also highlight Dusty's allergy for defensive pressure by hurting him going the other way.

Jack Henry - The kid who looks like a deer in the headlights at times has become more self-assured and has provided several key marks and interceptions. Here's hoping his form from last week carries over tonight. Brandan Parfitt - Another player having a career best season. His ability to find space with footwork MC Hammer would be impressed with is uncanny. Zach Tuohy - Arguably the 2nd best Irish player ever to pull on a boot after Jim Stynes, Zach can play back, forward or on the wing and is serviceable in all three positions. Hopefully it won't come down to a kick after the siren for a win, but if it does and he has ball in hand, we know from experience the ball is in good hands. Sam Simpson - The bolter. I don't think six months ago if we were to name who we would think would be in the side for the grand final that this kid's name would be in many teams, yet here he is. And what's more, he thoroughly deserves his spot. Has been an ideal companion for the likes of Dahlhaus, Parfitt and Miers, you know the kid won't hesitate to put his head over the ball and use it effectively.

I have the utmost confidence these guys can do us all proud and conquer the dragon that is the Richmond Football Club, and I'm sure we're all in the same boat and will unite behind the guys. Let's all enjoy the day and this evening, and show our utmost support for the boys as they bring home our 10th premiership cup and send off Gaz on a high.

GO CATS!!

I can just imagine Teddy Whiten on a day like today...

"Lets stick it right up em!!!!

Go Catters

Not sure why people are so worried about the weather. I think Richmond's chaos ball works best when it's dry. If it is wet both teams will have to push the ball forward. It just dulls their main weapon if it rains imo.
Because chaos ball is perfect for the wet - it’s metre-age over sure handling. The last thing you want in the wet is to over-possess the ball or rely on your marking targets.

Not sure why people are so worried about the weather. I think Richmond's chaos ball works best when it's dry. If it is wet both teams will have to push the ball forward. It just dulls their main weapon if it rains imo.
And their back half intercept work will be less effective

Richmond by 6 pts.
I agree, the last two weeks have been great but the game late the year sobered me up extremely quickly.

Someone pump me up. I’m feeling a 95 style day coming up. I will be the first in the i was wrong thread it we win but I’m still so shocked we won last week that I’m lacking faith.

Someone posted this on the other thread and it made me feel good this morning. I imagine the gap in a lot of these stats increased over the finals.

1603493478331.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back