Preview Geelong v Richmond 2020 Grand Final Sat Oct 24 @ Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You obviously know your players a lot better then I but I have to ask, when we have played you Ratugolea has always been dangerous, will he be picked and if not why ?
Plays one good game in 8. Can’t have that. 2021 and beyond hopefully he will get better.

Pies belt us in a previous PF, win the flag.
Media on their nuts all of 2011 including up until the GF
Geelong labeled old and slow
two really good finals wins in the lead up.
Pies PF was a wet weather arm wrestle results in a win by a kick
Cats win flag.

Tigers belt us in a previous PF, win the flag.
Media on their nuts all of 2020 including up until the GF
Tigers PF was a wet weather arm wrestle results in a win by a kick
Cats win flag?

I know the team we put against them last time was a slight mockery, and that we are much deeper and in great form, but very hard to imagine Richmond not winning this flag. They seem to get into GF's and win them. But I THOUGHT WE'D STRUGGLE TO WIN ANY FINALS, so admit to being a poor judge of our team.
Selwood saying we were all exhausted tonight was a bit confronting, but I guess he was honest.
The Tigers seem very in control, very happy with each other and their recent finals history, and project this aura of happiness and peace and love for each other. Most importantly, they seem to love playing under pressure and have a real enjoyment factor.

We SEEM to be hell-bent on winning for Danger and GAJ.
Not sure we come across as enjoying the games as much, but these perceptions so far from a distance, probably zero relevance.
Yep zero relevance as you think we will lose every game. But good point on Selwood. He is tired? Why say that? Means we are cooked or he wants rest to focus and get up for the game because that’s where his headspace is? Interesting.

Did you even watch the port game?
Dusty bangs in a ball under pressure . He trusts the forwards.
But what he does like no other is give hand balls under pressure to perfect spots. In traffic he's the Gazza of 2010.

We don't need to cover dusty, we need to cover his wing men.
Not to cover dusty. Oh boy!

Finknottle

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
Any chance Selwood loses the finger brace for this game? He's going alright with it on but it has to be impacting him in some way.
I doubt that Selwood has a choice. That finger would not have much if any ability to flex at this stage. He wouldn't be playing if we were still in the regular season but this is Selwood time.

Pies belt us in a previous PF, win the flag.
Media on their nuts all of 2011 including up until the GF
Pies PF was a wet weather arm wrestle results in a win by a kick
Cats win flag.

Tigers belt us in a previous PF, win the flag.
Media on their nuts all of 2020 including up until the GF
Tigers PF was a wet weather arm wrestle results in a win by a kick
Cats win flag?
Nice analogy but no relevance !

Finknottle

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't feel like I can enjoy this week and the GF much. Vic is seriously fkd and we are missing all of the build-up and it's just sh*t.

Also why tf am I getting notifications from Richmond flogs in this thread. Gtfo.
I know what you mean, Victoria, especially Melbourne is not much fun especially with the Premier warning people not to enjoy the GF this year. I'll just buy some Maccas, throw on my 2007 premiership scarf and lock myself in the TV room.

Can we go all out? I mean full on crazy mode where we just harass & tackle & pressure and slap them around? Even if a player misses 2-3 weeks next year. Do we have that? Our control style is not conducive to that? Must be manic mindset!

Aug 7, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Portland Trail Blazers
I give us a big chance, RD17 we were beaten by 26 points but came off a 5 day break with Richmond having a a 12 day break,changes for us from that game
OUT Atkins,Ratugolea,Fogarty,Close and Jarvis.
IN's Rohan,Simpson,Stanley,Selwood and Ablett.
Those ins are rather delicious! 🤤

Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
I think the weather will be a factor. A dry game would give us a decent advantage as it would make our possession control strategy more sustainable and give the coaching team more options on the day, whereas the Tigs chaos ball is probably the best tactic in a wet final regardless of the opposition. In the dry cats by 18, in the wet... will be a lot closer. We have a better defence, We have a better midfield and ruck set up. The Tig's probably have a better forward line with Martin/Jroo/Lynch. Blitz/Gola/Guthrie will need their game faces on helping Bews/Stewart rebound it out at high velocity.

CatRiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Forwards need to spread especially Hawkins and Rohan. That way Rohan will be free if Grimes breaks off to double team Hawkins. And having Stanley resting forward will test their backs. Dahlhaus needs to go postal and tackle like there are no tomorrows.
100% spot on

Stocks_go_Up

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Keep the ball off the ground and we win, Richmond's strategy is to keep the ball moving (doesn't matter how) and use their smalls/speed/pressure. And pin the ******* arms FFS when we tackle, if I see dusty get a handball out while he is getting tackled I'll lose it.

tomthabuddah1

Senior List
Jun 14, 2018
UK
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Liverpool
Can we go all out? I mean full on crazy mode where we just harass & tackle & pressure and slap them around? Even if a player misses 2-3 weeks next year. Do we have that? Our control style is not conducive to that? Must be manic mindset!

I’d love Gaz to get 4 weeks for an off the ball incident

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leeds17

Club Legend
Jun 29, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Leeds United
I think the scariest thing for me will be when the ball is in our defenders hands on a slow play, Richmond are really the only team that's consistently brought the turnovers out of that back unit & though their pressure is elite I do think it's more perceived pressure that gets us.

bulletproof

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Richmond have poor clearance numbers but when they really need it (the last two prelims) these guys go into overdrive and seem to make it a strength. If we can trust Guthrie, Duncan, Stanley, Parfitt and Selwood to match them there and leave Danger forward, that is the path to victory.

They have not played with as much fluidity this year, the connection is not quite as strong. A few games have just seemed happy to turn them into almighty scraps and then wait for Martin to seperate the contest with his unquestionable brilliance.

I think they will need more than that to beat Geelong. They do have another level, they won a Grand Final by 15 goals remember. Can they find it this week?

I don’t know, a team doesn’t often find their best all of a sudden in a Grand Final, but this is a champion team.

I feel we have momentum but does a supporter ever go into a Grand Final thinking they can’t win? Just making a Grand Final means you are doing a lot right.

Aside from Port in 07, we always seem to face a mighty opponent in our Grand Finals.

Last edited:

bulletproof

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Stewart looms as the key player. Couple of times on Saturday he came up and met the contest higher. If Richmond are going to throw the ball forward indiscriminately, Stewart can cut those off he is positioned aggressively. And then launch counter attacks. But if it gets past Stewart we are badly exposed with Taylor on Lynch.

I think we have to be more aggressive than our comfort zone would dictate. A low scoring scrap favours Richmond.

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Anyone think Blicavs might be given the job on Martin? Will be taken to the ball, can go back with him and hurt him with hard running the other way when we have the ball.
No no no. We should not restructure our side and game plan that has got us here and there is no way Scott and the MC will do so. As I said elsewhere you cannot tag Martin out of the game. A really good tag might reduce him to 20-22 touches and a goal or two and still 6 inside50s and 3goal assists, and the player tagging is out from our offensives. Not worth it. Someone will have to go to him and try to reduce his effectiveness but we need our best players doing the things they do best. I think perhaps Parfitt and/or Selwood might run with him at different times, but we lose out with a hard tag.

May 3, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Australian Cricket Team,
No no no. We should not restructure our side and game plan that has got us here and there is no way Scott and the MC will do so. As I said elsewhere you cannot tag Martin out of the game. A really good tag might reduce him to 20-22 touches and a goal or two and still 6 inside50s and 3goal assists, and the player tagging is out from our offensives. Not worth it. Someone will have to go to him and try to reduce his effectiveness but we need our best players doing the things they do best. I think perhaps Parfitt and/or Selwood might run with him at different times, but we lose out with a hard tag.
We should still have it a as break glass in case of emergency ala Jimmy 09. Guthrie is the only one in team that could stop him I reckon.

Aug 5, 2007
Near Casey Fields
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Trailblazers and Storm
We should still have it a as break glass in case of emergency ala Jimmy 09. Guthrie is the only one in team that could stop him I reckon.

Yea Guth in a run with (and run off where appropriate) option is about all we have. Just got to try and keep it out of his hands or at least out of getting it how he likes it.

Last edited:
May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
You're obviously a kid. I wrote here many years ago that people have forgotten what tiger supporters are like when they have swagger.

I don't see thier team as having snipers. At all.

Maybe you'd prefer that no one has respect for you and just refers to handbaggers?
The game is won on the field.
But a hell of a lot of respect is earned off it.

Some supporters need to remember that. Maybe you're included.
They have a bunch of snipers who do weak, gutless acts on field.

And respect is something you earn. They have earnt zilch. They are scum.

Maybe you need to grow a pair, and stop being a spineless little apologist to a bunch of ferals who would insult you till their throats were sore. Just go and look at all the insulting crap they post about us on their board.

You obviously know your players a lot better then I but I have to ask, when we have played you Ratugolea has always been dangerous, will he be picked and if not why ?
I assume you mean a a forward not as ruck? As a ruck he's behind Stanley for a number of reasons but as a forward he behind Rohan due to leg speed and forward craft I think.

His main problem is that his forward craft needs work. He ends up blocking up Hawkins space. Take him and Jarvis out of the match against us where Grimes just chopped everything off, add in danger forward and Rohan and ask yourself how effectively defenders could sag off to intercept if the forwards were able to use the space more effectively by spreading out more. Rohan sits further out than other forwards to use his pace. Paddy can do the same though he tends not to.

Our forward line was completely dysfunctional last time we met and Sav i think would make it worse

bulletproof

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
They have a bunch of snipers who do weak, gutless acts on field.

And respect is something you earn. They have earnt zilch. They are scum.

Maybe you need to grow a pair, and stop being a spineless little apologist to a bunch of ferals who would insult you till their throats were sore. Just go and look at all the insulting crap they post about us on their board.

Calm down. You are what you are railing against.

Excuse the intrusion but the part highlighted could be an issue , Im 54 and have seen in the past when the focus is on the emotional aspects of the game a person gets too invested and it may have a negative on them. But we were not as connected a few weeks ago and seem to be alot better since
Prestia , Edwards & Astbury have come back into the team.

Hope its a great game and my fav GF is still the 1989 GF which i was going for the cats due to GA (What a Gun)
Yeah maybe but i think it's probably just media beat up

I think the weather will be a factor. A dry game would give us a decent advantage as it would make our possession control strategy more sustainable and give the coaching team more options on the day, whereas the Tigs chaos ball is probably the best tactic in a wet final regardless of the opposition. In the dry cats by 18, in the wet... will be a lot closer. We have a better defence, We have a better midfield and ruck set up. The Tig's probably have a better forward line with Martin/Jroo/Lynch. Blitz/Gola/Guthrie will need their game faces on helping Bews/Stewart rebound it out at high velocity.
Forecast is very rainy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back